My first wreck on my FZ6 :(((

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
So I hafta say I always looked in this section to learn from others mistake but never thought i would be posting in here (so soon at least).

So Today me and a buddy on a Harley Sportster are having some fun on a new country road I found in southern Michigan. I had been on half of the road and loved all the twisties it had. (mistake #1 riding heavy on a rode I've never been on) So we started the road from the beginning over what i already rode to the section I didn't know. We started hitting some low speed suggested 25MPH curvy sections. The second or third small section had a series of about 4 or 5 curves. On the second to last curve I was at about 35MPH and directly out of the curve it went straight for 20 feet and then shot to a 90 degree blind right. (mistake #2: Taking a blind corner to quick) I realized 10ft from the curve i was going wayyy to quick and hit my front and rear brake. I never saw the speed I got down too but I jumped into the curve and realized I was still going to quick anddddddd Hugggge mistake #3.... grabbed my front brake. :spank::spank::ban:

Funny thing is I realized as soon as I did it, I was screwed because of it. Bike stood up and I faded into the grass on the other side and hit some mud, the front tire slide out, and down I went right into a 3 ft ditch. I slide away from the bike and ninja rolled up. Quick body check and I had no injuries except for a bruised rear calf from the bike landing on it, and a pretty bump on my left shin.

Bike faired about the same. No serious damage except for the whole font fairing is slightly bent down and back. I think I'll have to take it all off and see if i can bend the brackets back.

Anyway I know the whole ride home I actually felt relived. I remember reading in my how to ride safer book I got that the danger level for accidents is actually higher in the third year of riding than in the first. It mentioned this could have too do with the false confidence a third year rider has. I consider myself extremely lucky that my "third year" accident was a low speed low side into dirt. I have defintly realized i am in no way invincible on that bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, cornering is the single number 1 cause for crashes due to rider error. Bad line, too fast, not enough slowing/braking before the turn, improper braking, not looking, etc. etc, etc.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Always remember: Look, lean, believe

LOOK to where you want to go (the exit of the corner)
LEAN that bike over to get through the curve
BELIEVE that the tires, chassis and lean angle will take you through the curve, it almost always does. We normally only use a fraction of the ability of our bikes.

Anyway, lesson learned. I'd suggest you sign up for a track day and just experiment with what your bike will do in a controlled situation.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

BELIEVE that the tires, chassis and lean angle will take you through the curve, it almost always does. We normally only use a fraction of the ability of our bikes.

Anyway, lesson learned. I'd suggest you sign up for a track day and just experiment with what your bike will do in a controlled situation.

I agree with this. Your bike would have been able to do the turn if you had believed it could.

One time i was going too fast to make a turn and was going to go into the other lane around another corner. As I came to the edge of the turn I saw a truck coming around if I didn't make that turn i was going to die. I forced my self to look away from the truck and toward the inside of the turn and bent the bike over more knowing that was my only hope. Not only did I make the turn easily, I finished it on the side furthest from the middle line, without even dragging a knee or any hard parts.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Try a track day. So many things you described I learned and practiced at the track. Trail baking, lean angles, setting up turns, etc. I recently went on a ride with some friends on an unfamiliar road and lost site of the lead rider so I had no gauge on the turns. Well like a noob I come in too hot and realized that this downhill left hander is not just tight, it's decreasing radius. If it wasn't for the experience I gained at the track I would've prob panicked and hammered the brakes or ran off the road but I trail braked and threw it in as best I could and came out fine.

Glad you're all right though!

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, makes us all aware of how vunerable we can be, even the "best" riders. Glad there were no serious injuries to you or the Fizzer.

Track day = good idea! And it will be fun.

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
I had all my gear but my riding pants on. It was 94 degrees and my pants are hottt. i was wearing a pair of heavier jeans.

I wish I had seen that before yesterday hahaha. Ive never seen that before but I like that.

Only marks to the gear are some grass stains so I dont think yall will want to see that. i will grab some pics of the fairing later. If your not the rider you wouldnt even notice but the speedo is a bit crooked now.

And i am trying to get into Reg Pridmores CLASS riding school since he has a weekend at gingerman raceway coming up in mid june. Hopefully after that i wont even come close to another experiance like this.

Anyhow thanks for all your thoughts guys :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I hafta say I always looked in this section to learn from others mistake but never thought i would be posting in here (so soon at least).

So Today me and a buddy on a Harley Sportster are having some fun on a new country road I found in southern Michigan. I had been on half of the road and loved all the twisties it had. (mistake #1 riding heavy on a rode I've never been on) So we started the road from the beginning over what i already rode to the section I didn't know. We started hitting some low speed suggested 25MPH curvy sections. The second or third small section had a series of about 4 or 5 curves. On the second to last curve I was at about 35MPH and directly out of the curve it went straight for 20 feet and then shot to a 90 degree blind right. (mistake #2: Taking a blind corner to quick) I realized 10ft from the curve i was going wayyy to quick and hit my front and rear brake. I never saw the speed I got down too but I jumped into the curve and realized I was still going to quick anddddddd Hugggge mistake #3.... grabbed my front brake. :spank::spank::ban:

Funny thing is I realized as soon as I did it, I was screwed because of it. Bike stood up and I faded into the grass on the other side and hit some mud, the front tire slide out, and down I went right into a 3 ft ditch. I slide away from the bike and ninja rolled up. Quick body check and I had no injuries except for a bruised rear calf from the bike landing on it, and a pretty bump on my left shin.

Bike faired about the same. No serious damage except for the whole font fairing is slightly bent down and back. I think I'll have to take it all off and see if i can bend the brackets back.

Anyway I know the whole ride home I actually felt relived. I remember reading in my how to ride safer book I got that the danger level for accidents is actually higher in the third year of riding than in the first. It mentioned this could have too do with the false confidence a third year rider has. I consider myself extremely lucky that my "third year" accident was a low speed low side into dirt. I have defintly realized i am in no way invincible on that bike.
Glad your OK.
Chin Up.

Nelly

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about your crash and glad you're OK. Many thanks for sharing, this makes us all better riders.

For the record, I did the EXACT same thing in my first new car back in 1984 - went off the road on M-106 going too fast into a 90 degree right.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That was a good read. Thanks for sharing!

I have roughly 2000 miles of street riding as of this post; along those travels was 1 corner that made me brake hard due to fixation and another where I hit too hot and the radius decreased. The later of the two i went for the "belief theory" that leaning will carry me further than brake application and leaned it over more. The Bike did it no problem.

Seeing is believing and having confidence helps too!

Glad you're OK the bike is in good shape after such an event!

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad that you are ok, sounds like it could have been far worse. The bike you can fix. I know when I dumped my fizz I played it over and over in my head until I figured out everything I did wrong. Live and learn!

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok.

I too believe, that the bike was very well able to take the turn, without even dragging a peg down... They are very capable to lean at angles that you and me are never going to find out... It's a common mistake among riders, to hit the brakes while turning, instead of giving a try.

PS: I almost crashed this way a while ago. I was following a friends Aprilia Rsv, and in a left turn, he (and me) was going very fast so his rear tire slid. I immediately hit the brakes and realized that I would open my line too much, resulting in a crash on the side barrier. So I convinced my brain to let go of the brakes and to try to take the curve... and guess what? The bike just turned flawlessly, without even the peg touching the ground!