Radiator Frames - Color Me Black mod

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I was circling my bike and contemplating my next mod, I noticed something oddly out of place. The side radiator frames are painted metallic silver - completely out place considering the radiator and the surrounding frame is black. I was not going to give those guys a blind eye.

Items needed:

• High Temp resistant paint (< $10 at a hardware shop. I used matte black)
  • 4mm Allen wrench
  • 20 - 40 mins (I recommend applying two coats of paint as the first time I painted it kind of faded)

Before :(
2391178893_6bcc705fd2.jpg

After :rockon:
2390077829_20b39d0525.jpg

2390912604_50720f1efb.jpg

As you can see the radiator frames look like they belong in the set now.

Last edited:

rodb

junior, well, hardly ...
Reaction score
Visit site
very good !! next, the footpeg mounts, and the rear pegs ... why is it silver in the first place??

(i'm a talker, not a doer, but, real soon now ...)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nimzotech - Looks great, the lower looks awesome too! I need to get my butt in gear on the radiator guards, simple, inexpensive and looks great.

NICE!:Sport:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i did the radiator covers and the rear pegs couple months ago with flat black,,i think they look great.....im just curious if that paint will hold up....i dont want to paint them over and over again,,i got 2 layers also,,lets see how strong they are

Last edited:

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, now I need to do some painting. At least this is one mod I can afford. I didn't notice how bad the silver looked until now.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did the radiator covers and the rear pegs couple months ago with flat black,,i think they look great.....im just curious if that paint will hold up....i dont want to paint them over and over again,,i got 2 layers also,,lets see how strong they are

Looks good mate! Did you use the High-Temperature resistant paint? My was even designed for radiators and BBQs :thumbup:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to Ace Hardware and simply asked the clerk for a heat resistant black spray paint. Any brand will work : KRYLON I17067A00 "ACE" HEAT RESISTANT SPRAY PAINT BLACK

Tip: if you have a very fine grained sand paper, use it first on the radiator guards prior to painting. It will help grip the paint. As I did not have that available, I had to apply several layers for the paint to catch.

Be sure to post back with photos when you're done!

Cheers

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting... Very Interesting....

What type of handle bar is that; care to share what other mods you have?
:Sport:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Psssh, you're not officially cool until you black out this... and I dont even have a black frame :)

That looks good noodle! but WTF is the giant plate holder thingy on the left side of your bar? did you powder coat or paint? I see the triples also or was the bar black when you bought it and just painted/coated the triple?

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to Ace Hardware and simply asked the clerk for a heat resistant black spray paint. Any brand will work : KRYLON I17067A00 "ACE" HEAT RESISTANT SPRAY PAINT BLACK

Tip: if you have a very fine grained sand paper, use it first on the radiator guards prior to painting. It will help grip the paint. As I did not have that available, I had to apply several layers for the paint to catch.

In addition, if you're really paranoid like me, get a can of clear coat, and throw a few layers of that on as well. That'll really seal the deal. It's what I did.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks good noodle! but WTF is the giant plate holder thingy on the left side of your bar? did you powder coat or paint? I see the triples also or was the bar black when you bought it and just painted/coated the triple?

It holds my GPS and grip heater switch. I powdercoated the triples myself, flat black. The bars are protaper seven-eights "YZ-Hi" dirtbike bars with the nerf pad removed.
Other mods:

Acerbis cyclops headlight
R6 forks/brakes
R6 rear shock
Supersprox -1/+2 520 chain and sprockets
Laser quad exhaust with cat eliminator
My own design extended clutch slave lever
K&N air filter and airbox snorkel delete

Probably some more I can't remember

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
It holds my GPS and grip heater switch. I powdercoated the triples myself, flat black. The bars are protaper seven-eights "YZ-Hi" dirtbike bars with the nerf pad removed.
Other mods:

Acerbis cyclops headlight
R6 forks/brakes
R6 rear shock
Supersprox -1/+2 520 chain and sprockets
Laser quad exhaust with cat eliminator
My own design extended clutch slave lever
K&N air filter and airbox snorkel delete

Probably some more I can't remember

so you have cat-less exhaust, k&n, and air box mod and no mention of powercommander? hows that working out for you? I ask because of some other posts i have read I was worried about the airbox mod alone... guess im a pu$$y:eek:

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
so you have cat-less exhaust, k&n, and air box mod and no mention of powercommander? hows that working out for you? I ask because of some other posts i have read I was worried about the airbox mod alone... guess im a pu$:eek:

From what I can tell, there is really no need for a PC3.
The ECU should automatically be able to adjust the fueling based on the air pressure and temperature inside the airbox, and if there is less vacuum because of a higher flowing intake, it will just see it as more atmospheric pressure and adjust fueling accordingly.