FZ6N: A+ Sports Commuter

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned, I commend the FZ6 as a Sports Commuter. I modded up a Gen I Ventura Rack, and leave my top box on all day, almost everyday. Cutting up around town, to work/uni and back, it's great.

Having said that, I went on a bit of a ride the last two days, and covered over 1000km - and I personally think that the FZ6 is a SHI77Y Sports Tourer. Rubbish. No fairing, an average riding position, edges of the comfort seat quicky dig into your backside, and I have bugs across both my helmet and jacket - that my two riding friends missed out on.

I love my bike... It's a weapon, and is affordable to buy, mod and maintain.

But I want a cruiser. Either as well (which I would prefer) or instead (which I am quite iffy about).

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned, I commend the FZ6 as a Sports Commuter. I modded up a Gen I Ventura Rack, and leave my top box on all day, almost everyday. Cutting up around town, to work/uni and back, it's great.

Having said that, I went on a bit of a ride the last two days, and covered over 1000km - and I personally think that the FZ6 is a SHI77Y Sports Tourer. Rubbish. No fairing, an average riding position, edges of the comfort seat quicky dig into your backside, and I have bugs across both my helmet and jacket - that my two riding friends missed out on.

I love my bike... It's a weapon, and is affordable to buy, mod and maintain.

But I want a cruiser. Either as well (which I would prefer) or instead (which I am quite iffy about).

I have toured about 30000km's ona FZ6N, and i love it....super comfy! As for the bugs and the wind....lol! Your either a fairing and screen man, or you dont care...the bugs dont really bother me....and if they are bad enough, they will still get you with a fairing anyway...

Toughen up Princess! :Flip:

:D

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i fitted a puig fly screen to mine, seems to kepe most of the bugs off my jacket (which is a PITA to clean)

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I have toured about 30000km's ona FZ6N, and i love it....super comfy! As for the bugs and the wind....lol! Your either a fairing and screen man, or you dont care...the bugs dont really bother me....and if they are bad enough, they will still get you with a fairing anyway...

Yeah, but you're crazy addicted, an a bit of a sadist, to guess. I understand your obsession, and if any of us had put that much of ourselves into any bike we would manage to find it comfortable, even if the seat was off a MotoX Racer, the bars off a post auger and the pegs off a... Clothesline. I need a shield - I'm a girl, I'm a sook, I'm ahungry for a cruiser.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I want a Goldwing -- but I"m definitely not looking to replace my 6, when I want to hit up some curves or just go for some spirited riding around town I think the FZ6 is fantastic, but when I want to hop on the highway for some real miles I want something more comfortable.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Have you forgotten Horsham :eek: I bloody haven't. I don't think any of us liked those locusts.

Then there was the ride we all had into Mt Gamier :shakehead:

Bloody bugs the size of small birds - not cool :(

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, but you're crazy addicted, an a bit of a sadist, to guess. I understand your obsession, and if any of us had put that much of ourselves into any bike we would manage to find it comfortable, even if the seat was off a MotoX Racer, the bars off a post auger and the pegs off a... Clothesline. I need a shield - I'm a girl, I'm a sook, I'm ahungry for a cruiser.

It's not about any sort of obsession, one of the reasons i bought the FZ6, was because it was comfortable to ride, and the bikehas not shown me any reason to feel otherwise since....i have owned lots of bikes, and have heaps of reference points....

And i actualy spend alot of time buggerising around getting my riding position just perfect for me, for each bike i own....

Each to their own.

:thumbup:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Each to their own.

:thumbup:

Indeed!

I did
Try a few positions - I sat on the pillion seat, hooked my legs over the pillion pegs, lay on the tank, extended my legs forwards, hooked my legs forward over the oggies, switched hands for throttle and rested full length on the bike. Yeah, I need a cruiser, I'm not quite the Die Hard fan I thought I was.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 Don't be a Girlie Man!

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Having owned numberous bikes including the FZ6 and a metric cruiser, I don't think either is "great" for the real long haul. I have logged many many miles on this FZ6 and it is a pretty comfy bike, but only for about the first few hundred miles. If you don't have a drivers backrest on your crusier, you will see that it has more discomforts than you might expect too. As for the bugs....seriously???? Perhaps a car would be more to your liking. :BLAA: Good luck....perhaps its time to seriously consider a real touring/sport touring bike if you want to log those kinds of distances. They're worth it.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the tolerance :not: I don't want a car - I have one and don't get anywhere near the same connection with the vehicle, the road, and the scenery. There is no way I could make the FZ6 as comfortable as a cruiser - And I know any bike will never be as comfortable as a car.

You like your FZ6 Jamie, but you aren't happy with the power - does anyone rag on you for trying to make it go faster? You still want the looks and general comfort of the FZ6, but want to milk every HP you possibly can, most of us on here do.

If I was to try and milk every bit of comfort out of my FZ, it would end up looking like crap, with no fairing, a big ass screen, softer suspension, a custom seat with with a removable sissy bar for my girl, a permanent set of hard panniers, higher set back bars, lower, forward pegs... Why would I bastardize such a beautiful bike that much. It wouldn't look anywhere near as gorgeous.

If I can, I'll keep my FZ6N, because the things it does, it does FANTASTICALLY. But it doesn't do touring, not for me. My legs need to be forward a little more, my shoulders back, and chest and throat protected from the wind.

I would've gone to the ASB forum to be bashed for being softass - they will ride for hours on their litrebikes, but for the next ride I am planning; a 5000km, 70 hour round trip, I think I'll have a screen and a big fat seat thanks.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the tolerance :not: I don't want a car - I have one and don't get anywhere near the same connection with the vehicle, the road, and the scenery. There is no way I could make the FZ6 as comfortable as a cruiser - And I know any bike will never be as comfortable as a car.

You like your FZ6 Jamie, but you aren't happy with the power - does anyone rag on you for trying to make it go faster? You still want the looks and general comfort of the FZ6, but want to milk every HP you possibly can, most of us on here do.

If I was to try and milk every bit of comfort out of my FZ, it would end up looking like crap, with no fairing, a big ass screen, softer suspension, a custom seat with with a removable sissy bar for my girl, a permanent set of hard panniers, higher set back bars, lower, forward pegs... Why would I bastardize such a beautiful bike that much. It wouldn't look anywhere near as gorgeous.

If I can, I'll keep my FZ6N, because the things it does, it does FANTASTICALLY. But it doesn't do touring, not for me. My legs need to be forward a little more, my shoulders back, and chest and throat protected from the wind.

I would've gone to the ASB forum to be bashed for being softass - they will ride for hours on their litrebikes, but for the next ride I am planning; a 5000km, 70 hour round trip, I think I'll have a screen and a big fat seat thanks.

Iam actually quite appy with the power...OEM FZ6 motor is a ripper!

Mate as for getting bashed....Sheesh, thin skin or what....i do believe you have had a few light hearted digs at myself....which is all i was doing, having a light hearted dig....

:BLAA:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
My apologies for bein a sook - I just expected a few more 'fill your garage with assorted bikes' posts, and a few less 'be a man' posts. I just want the bike/bikes that will suit me the best.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe if one can afford multiple bikes and wants different bikes for different riding...why not? if i can afford another bike after an fz6 i'll prolly get a dual sport and add it to my garage..Get whatever makes you happy, if you want something for long rides and you think a cruiser will better suit you go for it :thumbup: I like the looks of one of the v-star class ones (all black can't remember name of it) and personally i like the vulcans if i were going to get a cruiser, but decided after i rode a friends I like something will a little more go.

Pics when you do get something! :D