Drag Racing. Fun for you and your bike?

W

wrightme43

I went to the track today. I lowered the preload on the rear to setting one. Lowered the rear air pressure to 31 psi.

It was the first time I have ever drag raced on a real track. It was awesome.
First race vs 05 R1
12.818 loses to 10.570
106.11mph 140.01

vs 07 ninja 500
12.577 wins to 13.778
109.95mph 95.18

vs 06 cbr f4i
12.351 loses to 12.187
111.94mph 118.53

vs 07 ninja 500
12.362 wins to 13.623
111.6mph 97.04

vs. 05 sv650
12.369 wins to 12.723
111.02mph 104.99

vs 06 cbr f41
12.434 wins to 12.699
111.25mph 117.14

vs 05 R1
12.446 loses to 10.477
110.84mph 141.08

by run
110.12mph

vs 07 ninja 500
12.192 wins to 13.702
111.02mph 97.04

vs 07 gsxr 750
12.853 loses to 11.397
107.96mph 125.88

vs 07 cbr
12.376 loses to 12.639
112.19mph 117.71
I had a horrible reaction time so I lost

vs 07 cbr
12.346 loses to 12.155
111.96mph 116.76

vs 07 cbr
12.166 WINS!!!! to 12.967
109.57mph 108.49

vs 07 cbr
last run of the night.
I wound her up to 10K
it hooked up and the front end came up high!! So hard it hurt my boys. I set it back down but he was gone. LOL
ran a 14.782 at 100.25

All in all I had fun. Operator error kept me from doing better. I need more practice but thats easy to get.

W

wrightme43

The bikes stage up in lane one, by the time we get back to stage, they are running cars again. I would have to skip races to take pictures. LOL not gonna happen.

There were three busa bikes there. They were using ratchet straps to tie down there forks, before they went down the track.

One guy was running a 450cc four wheeler. He did 15s all night then at the end broke into the 14s on a freaking four wheeler.

I walked around and looked at the bikes, the one guy who was there first, and took time to help me, showing me where to go, and telling me how he launched, was on a R1. The tires were worn right up to the edges, it was obvious he rode his bike. Some of the others looked like they never saw any lean angle at all.

Anyway it was alot of fun.
Here is what I learned.
Go to the gate, pay your money and get your tech card. Go to tech. Here it is a 16 year old kid, who says, uhhh, ok, fill this out, sign this, and wear your helmet. He paints a number on the windshield. Thats it.
Lower the preload to 1
Lower the air pressure (I did 31 but I think it could go lower)
Dont drive thru the water.
Line up on the inside wheel track, stay the hell out of the middle, its full of oil, rubber chunks, and whatnot.
Keep the clutch cool, dont sit for a long time with it held in waiting to go.
Once you pre stage, and stage, put your feet back to act like ballast, and lean your body forward, to keep the front end down.
Load the engine against the brake, so the chain is tight and the chassis is slightly loaded.
As the tree comes down, when the last yellow light goes on, (this will get you a good reaction time) let off the brake, while engaging the clutch, as soon as you feel it hook, full throttle, may or may not need to slip the clutch to keep the nose down. Its time for the tuck, I read to try and get under the paint on the tank. LOL
At around 12, load the shifter for second, quick down blip on the throttle, with a light stab at the clutch, second.
As second winds, thru 12-13 the front end gets light, and there is a litle wobble in the bars.
Clutchless upshift to third, forth, and at the line depending on how it went it will either hit the rev limiter right at the trap or just after it.
Keep you body down, and gently roll off the throttle, slowly squeeze the brake harder, down thru the gears and off at the first exit.
Roll into the timing booth, take your ticket and back to the stage lanes.

Heart is pounding, hands, fingers, legs, feet are shaking. The person you raced will either be infront or behind you. LOL
Most everybody laughs and discusses what they did right or wrong. Compares time slips, and sets up who races who next. Some people are not friendly but that is thier deal and not mine.

It was a blast, and if anyone has any tips that would be great.

According to Sport Rider
I should be able to run
11.3 at 119.4 mph
So there is more in the bike if I get better.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the wrold of grass roots drag racing! That's great! I've done it for years in my Vette and I ran a 11 second 70" Dodge Dart with a 440 for my old man a few years back. Never ran any of my bikes though( Didn't have any leathers.) I guess I'm going to get me some now.LOL You'll be back now that you've been bit by the Drag Racing bug. Do they do any elimnations for bikes a that track?

W

wrightme43

No as far as I know they dont there werent enough of us. The do bracket racing for the cars so I bet they would do that for us, if someone would sponsor it, and organise it.
They have the all harley drags twice a year here. So I know they do race the bikes but I think the organization comes from outside.
I am just guessing though, and need to do more asking questions from people that know more than me.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Clutch

Steve,

It sounds like you had tons of fun. Did you worry about burning your clutch?

I watched that pinks episode where they raced the 500 hp Busas and these guys seemed to replace their clutches after each run.

I have always wondered what happens when you hold at 10K rpm then start as fast but controlled as you can.

Do you know anything about the potential effects of this?

I know nothing and am curious.

BTW - Did we get some new smiles???
:Sport:

W

wrightme43

As long as you keep it the clutch cool I dont think it will kill it. I use mobil full synth, If it does kill it, I will just buy a new plates.

I went tonight as well.
14 more runs.
Not as good though.
12.2-12.6s. It was alot hotter here though, so maybe that was it, or I was just screwing up.
Got three nuetrals from not being firm enough into second.
Beat a katana with extended swing arm and a bunch of mods. The guy with the ninja 500 was there again beat him but my bike is faster.
Beat a gsxr 600, but I think he screwed up.
Beat a girl on a gsxr 1000, but I know she screwed up, cause the next race she killed me. Got killed several times by cbr 1000rr, and a ninja 10r. It was alot of fun.
As they were shuting down, I asked if I could run the bike on the figure eight track, but they said no, uh uh, nope, not happening, negitive ghostrider, not, never, and no.

W

wrightme43

I have always wondered what happens when you hold at 10K rpm then start as fast but controlled as you can.

Do you know anything about the potential effects of this?

And in Response.
You will rack yourself and look at the sky. The other bike will go bye bye. It scared me. It seems a good launch RPM is 7-8k Less than that and is bogs down getting rolling, more than 8-9 and it stands up on the rear wheel.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You will rack yourself and look at the sky. The other bike will go bye bye. It scared me. It seems a good launch RPM is 7-8k Less than that and is bogs down getting rolling, more than 8-9 and it stands up on the rear wheel.

Good to know!

I'll try and remember not to do that :eek: