Bike is really easy to push start

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I learned today. It's stupid easy to push start. I was in a rush and just going to run in to work for a minute. You guessed it, I came out an hour later and the key was still on and my lights were dim. :spank:

Granted, I've never push started a bike before, but I was amazed. So were the guys poking fun in the parking lot.

"Ha ha, you killed your bike." "Cheap imported crap." "You'll have to run faster than that." Etc.

Bike starts.

"..."

I threw the Harley guys a deuce, and hopped on my bike and left. :rolleyes: So, the battery should be fine after 30 minutes on the highway right? I mean, I know it would be in a car. I don't have a smart charger.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're using your kill switch? There are times I use mine but mostly the key.

Good deal on bumpin it!

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
Had to do the same thing the other day, I too was surprised how easy it was. I started it in 1st, which if I need to, I won't do it again if I can help it, It was a little wild, like an unbroken horse for a minute. My battery was pretty much totally dead when I did it, it was on the way home from work. A short while after I got home it was dead again and took longer than overnight to charge on the battery tender. But from the time I started it to the time I got home was less than 15 minutes, plus I had to sit in stop and go traffic.

Jay

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed last night my dash lights going out when cranking the bike occasionally. Tried the bump start going down the GF's driveway in both 1st and 2nd gear, real easy, much easier than I thought...

Once home, a volt meter showed 12+ volts sitting, when cranking, voltage dropped to 8 volts (the lowest) and it still started.

This battery was replaced the day after the original owner bought it new (I bought it 2nd hand from my friend). I always use the key...

Ordered a new battery, tomorrows project..

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine didn't buck or anything. It really looked like I had done it a hundred times. I just popped the clutch for a second. Kind of like a quick shift, but in reverse. Out-in, about as fast as you can say it, it started faster than it does on the starter, I slowed down just enough for me to throw a leg over mid-stride, hit the gas and threw deuces up as I rode off. I probably ran 15 feet, tops.

I normally just kill it with the kickstand switch, twist the bars to lock, and lock them; then I get off the bike. That way, even if I forget the keys, the bike is off. Idk why I didn't this time.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
A bit off topic but many years ago I had a Pontiac Fiero. Every once in a while the starter wouldn't work. So I would put it in reverse hold down the clutch with my right leg and open the door and push it backwards with my left leg and pop it. After a few time doing this I put a new starter in.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't think you could bump-start any engine with fuel injection. Good to know! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it would be better to go one step further, and tap the low beam circuit rather than the running lights..... that way, the grips won't come on until the engine actually starts.
Thanks RJ,
I did think about that but some some headlamp low beams toggle off when you run high beams so I like to default to the running light circuit because I know it's state remains on until the bike is shut off.:D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is, been doing it a lot lately. I have a bad voltage regulator from what I have been told.

I usually can get it started by scooting the bike along with one leg while I sit on the bike. it really doesn't have to get rolling much to get it started in 1st gear.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try this: When the bike is off the grips are off....
Thanks for the schematic Cliff, I thought I'd be doing this but as the shop installed the heated grips and I've had several problems with them, they have always fixed it under guarantee (despite that its more than 2 years old now). I'm afraid if I change it in any way they will use it as an excuse not to touch it. Also it is never a problem to bump start it, so I suppose It doesn't really bother me any more.

Last edited:

compmoto

gravity impaired
Reaction score
Visit site
sorta reminds me of those FZR400/600 voltage regulator issues ... Yammy certainly upgraded the quality since ? :rolleyes:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno about you guys, but I have always clutch started a bike/car in second.

First gear makes the back wheel/s lock up too easy, and skids.

Cheers,
Rick

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Used to do this with my dirtbikes...live on a hill so worked well. PITA if it doesn't start by the time you hit the bottom though lol

My big thumper race bike (YZ426F) uses a decompression lever to kickstart, and is nearly impossible to bump start, i've only done it once lol

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I had the joy of experiencing a dead battery.

Once I was reasonably sure all my co-workers/acquaintances wouldn't witness the event, I quite literally walked the bike at half-pace in sixth gear and let off the clutch.

Took two attempts at this slow speed, but the second resulted in a started motor, having pulled the clutch back in, with me standing beside it.

Uneventful, and easy as pie (thankfully.)