Oil/filter

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to start a war here but I'd like some advice on what kind of oil & filters you guys like the best. I have used Shell Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 & a Purolator PureOne oil filter in my last 3 bikes. I'm kind of apprehensive about using the diesel in my new FZ6 with the catakytic converter. Any of you guys using the Rotella inone of our high-revving engines?

S

Shamus McFeeley

Lots of people here use Rotella. I used it once myself. I don't think I have heard of problems from anyone using either the conventional or synthetic Rotella.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using Rotella 5w-40 diesel forever in all my bikes including my past FZ6 (and my new one coming will use it too). The new T6 formula is now officially Jaso MA rated...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Rotella T6 synthetic is awesome.

I have used it on my FZ6 since 1,000 miles and the bike has never burned oil, always shifts smooth and the oil doesn't even start to darken till close to 3,000 miles!

Diesel rated synthetic oil is made for turbo engines (highly sheer resistant). Turbocharger turbines spin at ~30,000 rpms and use the motor oil as lubrication....if the oil can handle that it can more than handle a 12,000 rpm 600 cc.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Rotella T6 synthetic is awesome.

Diesel rated synthetic oil is made for turbo engines (highly sheer resistant). Turbocharger turbines spin at ~30,000 rpms and use the motor oil as lubrication....if the oil can handle that it can more than handle a 12,000 rpm 600 cc.

Interesting point. Never thought about it that way, but makes total sense.:thumbup:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression that the t6 had the friction modifiers in it.....which is bad for wet clutches.....as do other car oils.
set me straight?
I tried searching for a thread on this but i got lost and confused and started crying after i wet myself.....

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been using the T6 since the 2nd oil change, 7000 miles later and 2 oil changes, its still running great. In another thread I was told 5-40 was WAY to thin to use....:don'tknow:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was under the impression that the t6 had the friction modifiers in it.....which is bad for wet clutches.....as do other car oils.
set me straight?
I tried searching for a thread on this but i got lost and confused and started crying after i wet myself.....

Welll, you're wrong... Don't guess, go to Wallmart and look for yourself... it does not have friction modifiers... If it did it would be listed and stamped on the bottle... Consider yourself set straight...;)

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love oil threads, I'm always open to see what people use. I have used alot of different brands of oil but go back to Amsoil. I'll probably give rotella a try again because Amsoil is getting too expensive. I'm at 40K miles and the bike still runs great.

Doc

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used alot of different brands of oil but go back to Amsoil.

That's because you and some others fell for their marketing scam... Their oil is no better or no worse than any other top brand... and yet you pay twice as much... It's your money my friend... I will stick with the cheap Rotella and ride just as far as you...;)

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
As many people will say I'm biased on this topic but I have used Rotella in 2 600CC bikes and my 750 It simply doesn't hold up as long before it stats to get clunky shifts, false neutrals, and pours from the pan like water.

Mobil 1 worked awesome for me but Amsoil has held up the longest on the street and track. Never had a false neutral on my track bike since switching to Amsoil, still got a few with Mobil1, so that alone is why I will continue to use it.

As for filters I usually use Wix on the track and Amsoil on the street bikes. Some times Pure ones for random other machines if they are on sale.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motul 7100 Fully synthetic oil.....the ducks guts of oils IMHO!

Just makes the motor run so quiet, as well as smooth as silk gear changes...

:thumbup:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Just shy of 3 full QT's of Amsoil 10W-40 motorcyclye synthetic and a short Purolator oil filter. Part number is listed in another thread.

scottyblumps

Keep it on 2
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Mobil 1 4T Synthetic 10w 40 and Purolator gold filter. The bike runs amazing shifting is butter smooth, LOVE IT.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have been using Rotella T6 since I got the bike - over 24,000 miles and still happy. As for shifting had some problems but that turned out to be the bushing on the shift leaver had grease which was old. Cleaned and lubed and shifts great. Amsol would be good to try but it too difficult to get plus costs more. Go to WalMart and pick up a blue jusg for $20.

At the Barber Vintage Festival an expert on old British bikes gave a lecture on crankshaft pins and roller bearings used on old British bikes - very interesting. When asked about synthetic oil he said that the roller bearings would damage the synthetic oils or break the long molecular chains which would degrade the oil - not a problem for 2 strokes which use once then burn.

Don't ask me about the long mol. . . . stuff, have 2 sons who are ChemE's but I don't do chemistry.