Passed my Traffic Instructor practicum!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hey Vegas (and others),

I spent the weekend upgrading my certification and I am now a qualified Traffic Instructor! Which means I can now take up to 4 students out on the road for our 2 day traffic course. I had 4 great students that I had also taught our Novice program to.

The advantage of upgrading to a traffic instructor is that it allows you to follow the students right through from starting out and learning to ride in Novice and seeing their progression all the way through to riding on public roads.

It feels good to get the practicum over with! Next upgrade will be to a Theory instructor for doing all the classroom work (next year).

(I'm on the left)
225952_10150176746336050_555266049_7331868_121889_n.jpg

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats that is fantastic. It must feel great seeing the smiles on all there faces knowing you did your best to teach them about the wild world of street bike riding. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! Very cool deal.. no such program in states as far as I know (only private schools do that)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations Dave. That's a great gift to give people. They are lucky to have you.!:rockon:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Dave, keep us posted on how it's working out for you. Unfortunately, our program will not allow us to do so, major liability issue in the event that something should go terribly wrong.

I fully endorse beginning riders ride along with experienced riders when they venture out onto the streets for the first time. it's a whole different ball game.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Big congratulations! Gotta be one of the most rewarding jobs out there knowing you're helping new riders get off on the right foot!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
So how does Canada handle insurance for the riders in the event something happens while you are riding with them?

Well, we have basic insurance coverage on the bikes if they get dammaged and the riders would use their own auto insurance coverage for personal injury. We also have all students sign a waiver of liability, stating that there are risks invovled with riding a motorcycle and we (VISC) cannot be held liable should something happen during training.

We do have the odd minor accident from time to time and luckilly nothing too serious. During my Traffic course, a rider in another group went down on some gravel when he pulled over to wait for everyone. Basically he picked a bad spot to pull over and as he was stopping, turned the front wheel and the bike went out from under him. His pride was hurt more than anything. Strange enough the most serious accidents we've ever had were during the Novie course in the closed parking lot...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
During my Traffic course, a rider in another group went down on some gravel when he pulled over to wait for everyone. Basically he picked a bad spot to pull over and as he was stopping, turned the front wheel and the bike went out from under him. His pride was hurt more than anything. ...

Can never underestimate the material covered in the classroom, as this was one of the areas that we cover. So shame on the rider:spank: And emphasized back out on the range. Keep those handlebars square when coming to a stop.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
I asked a couple fellow instructors about their thoughts on taking selected individuals out. We mostly came to a conclusion that most of the people that take our 20 hour course, we wouldn't want to be there on the road with them as they were first starting out. I think it is a novel idea and a big congrats to you on getting your next certification.