Oil Change Help!!

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
So I decided I would attempt to change my own oil rather than taking it the dealer for service. While at the dealer to pick up the oil I pick up 3 quarts of Yamalube 4 10W30 and take them to the counter and this older service guy asks what kind of bike I have. I tell him an 06 FZ6 and he tells me I've got the wrong oil. I begin to doubt myself, I could've sworn I read on this forum and my Owners manual that the correct weight was 10W30. He tells me I need 10W40 "it's what all liquid-cooled inline 4 sportbikes use", thinking he must be right since he works here, I end up buying Spectro 10W40. After returning home I check the owners manual and it does say 10W30. I knew it! :rtfm:

So my question is now what? I assume the owners manual suggests 10W30 for a reason, what would happen if I were to put the wrong oil?

W

wrightme43

Nothing.
It would be a great idea to take the very overpriced oil back and get Mobil one or one of the other full synthetics. 99% of the time it doesnt matter, but when there is a problem synth oil does better.
10w40 does have longer chains of visco modifiers. They get cut apart by the gears quicker and it moves more quickly towards a straight 10w oil than the 10w30 does.
It wont hurt it.
I use mobil one and it works great. Almost all the oils that cost over .99c work great. Some are better than others when things go bad.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I decided I would attempt to change my own oil rather than taking it the dealer for service. While at the dealer to pick up the oil I pick up 3 quarts of Yamalube 4 10W30 and take them to the counter and this older service guy asks what kind of bike I have. I tell him an 06 FZ6 and he tells me I've got the wrong oil. I begin to doubt myself, I could've sworn I read on this forum and my Owners manual that the correct weight was 10W30. He tells me I need 10W40 "it's what all liquid-cooled inline 4 sportbikes use", thinking he must be right since he works here, I end up buying Spectro 10W40. After returning home I check the owners manual and it does say 10W30. I knew it! :rtfm:

So my question is now what? I assume the owners manual suggests 10W30 for a reason, what would happen if I were to put the wrong oil?
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/3349-what-type-brand-oil-do-you-use-4.html

Oil has been done to death, and the thread closed once already lol.
Wrightme posted an excellent oil thread a while ago. Use the search and take a look.

Nelly

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the oil back and charge him $1.00 per mile for your return round trip. he talked you OUT of the correct oil and into something that is other than the recommended oil for the bike.

Or you could just use it because it will be fine. and not be an Azz... Up to you, either way..

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Not a huge deal mate. 10W30 and 10W40, either will do you fine. You are not going to hurt or do anything to your engine because you use 10W40 instead of 10W30!

Besides, I would personally go with what a bike mechanic reccomends over "the manual".

Some of you guys act like if you put the wrong type or wrong brand of oil in your bike it will blow up or something. Take the kid gloves off already and quit worrying so much. As long as your bike HAS oil in it, you will be fine.

Last edited:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Weird, my '07 recommends 20w40 or 10w-40 if 20w40 is not available. I wonder if Yamaha changed the spec to sell more Yamalube? I am going to run a 10w-40 or 5w40 depending on what I decide to run once I'm through the break in.

khooper

Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on what you SHOULD have put in and what you DID put in and the age of the engine. Most of the time it won't make much difference.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Gentlemen, may I refer you to the owners manual, on page 8-1 it clearly states to use type: yamalube 4, sae10w30 or sae 20w40. 10w30 is for temps between 10degrees to 90 degrees and 20w40 is for temps between 35 and 120 degrees F.
what, whats that? :rtfm:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha changed their position on this, right? Wolfc70 was reading correctly. Rotella T FTMFW!

Gentlemen, may I refer you to the owners manual, on page 8-1 it clearly states to use type: yamalube 4, sae10w30 or sae 20w40. 10w30 is for temps between 10degrees to 90 degrees and 20w40 is for temps between 35 and 120 degrees F.
what, whats that? :rtfm:

I looked in my manual, and it lists Yamalube 4 in 10w-30 or 20w-40. SAE in 10w-40 or 20w-40. What does this mean? Pretty much that any oil between a 10w and a 40 will work. A 5w-40 will also work fine and help improve lubrication during cold starts. I have a feeling that the blue bottle Rotella T will wind up in my sump once break in is done!

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. Soon after posting I did search and find Steve's arcticle on Oil, very informative.

Shortly after that, I decided I would take the oil back to the store after work and expect a partial refund and exchange for the Yamalube 4. When I get there I am directed to a sign directly above the oil section stating "Absolutely no returns or exchanges on oil. Make sure you choose the right oil." I then proceed to explain my situation and I'm told that the Yamalube 4 would work with my bike and I wouldn't have been told otherwise by anyone that works there. Of course the service guy that I bought the oil from is not there currently so I'm basically arguing my point by myself. Bottom line they would not except my return due to "Store Policy". :mad:

This is not the first time I've had problems with this dealer. Needless to say, I'll be driving the extra 16 miles to the other Yamaha dealer for any of my needs in the future.:Flip:

Thanks to everybody, I'm glad I've got such a wealth of FZ6 knowledge at my fingertips.