Which oil and when

socker77

Reaction score
Visit site
I found this article online and I think it gives a pretty good detail as to when and what kind of oil's you can use. http://www.vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

I called up my auto store place and they have 4 quarts and a fram filter for $20.00 I am a little hesitant because I don't want to put something that may not be quality on my bike. Any suggestions?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I called up my auto store place and they have 4 quarts and a fram filter for $20.00 I am a little hesitant because I don't want to put something that may not be quality on my bike. Any suggestions?

To make it very simple for you, any oil is safe to use as long as it has Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) designation (check the back of the jug). Sticking with recommended viscosity is a good idea.
Fram filters are cheapest-made, but will do the job just fine if you change the oil frequently. If you plan on slightly longer intervals between changes, consider a better quality filter like K&N or Mobil1. PureOne Purolator is also very good, although there is an argument that its filtering element is so tight, when used for prolonged periods it may actually constrict oil flow.

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
I used Motul 1 and it made the motor and tranny much smoother. I have cut alot of filters open in my day and don't like the fram innards. I like the K+N filter, it has a bolt head machined onto the end of the can that makes changing it a breeze. I use Wix / napa gold filters in all my other vehicles.

eric 05 Fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I used Motul 1 and it made the motor and tranny much smoother. I have cut alot of filters open in my day and don't like the fram innards. I like the K+N filter, it has a bolt head machined onto the end of the can that makes changing it a breeze. I use Wix / napa gold filters in all my other vehicles.

sorry if its a stupid question but im new and i know there are all different formulas for car oils is there a specific type i need for the bike(ex 5w30) and same question for the filter..

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry if its a stupid question but im new and i know there are all different formulas for car oils is there a specific type i need for the bike(ex 5w30) and same question for the filter..
:welcome: to the forum.

Use the "search" function. You'll find many threads on oil etc

:)

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site

I purchased my bike last year, and up until now I have just used the stock oil and filter. I wanted to try something different, and I found This Thread. I decided to buy 5W-40 Rotella Synthetic oil with a K&N oil filter. This is not to start an oil debate, as the forum has had enough of those already. Just read some threads, buy what sounds good.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found that oils these days are all great, and getting better each year. You can run pretty much whatever you want and not have to worry about it, as long as you change it regularly. I would stick with motorycle oils however, just to make it easier. You can use car oil, but if it says "Energy Conserving" at all on it, you don't want it in your moto, as our wet clutches don't play nice with it.

As for filters, that's a different story. I personally won't touch Fram. Anything made by Wix/Purolator is the way to go.

Purolator = Wix = Napa Gold = Proline = Bosch(who bought Purolator) All great filters that won't break your wallet. I do like the K&N filters, but they're pricey around here.

What I love about our FZ's oil filter is, it's the SAME filter than my 2002 Mazda Protege uses! So you can use that as a reference in the parts stores to find the correct filter easily.

Last edited:

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
You can use car oil, but if it says "Energy Conserving" at all on it, you don't want it in your moto, as our wet clutches don't play nice with it.

I find this interesting considering the bike's manual specifically says to use "Energy Conserving II" oil. Granted, I don't, but I still find it odd that manufacturers (had the same recommendation for my SV650) would suggest using something that's bad for the bike.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I find this interesting considering the bike's manual specifically says to use "Energy Conserving II" oil. Granted, I don't, but I still find it odd that manufacturers (had the same recommendation for my SV650) would suggest using something that's bad for the bike.

If you're referring to 7-14 in the manual, read it more closely. Is says, "in addition, do NOT use oils labeled..."

:)

Scorpio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that bike oil has less moly in it and more phosphorus than car oil, (because of the wet clutch).

Last edited:

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
i was told by my local yamaha dealer to use 20W-50, i went to Advanced Auto and got 4 quarts of mobil 1 and a fram filter, for $30.00. My oil change was just under 6000 miles on the odo, with 3000-3500 miles since the last change from the previous owner. Who changed it before i bought it at 2500+- miles in Sept. Ran noticibly smoother even shifts felt better. but i feel that its a bit too thick for my somewhat sporty bike, see others here using 5w and 10w. I need to hit thats search button myself....

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
20W-50 is really thick for our liquid cooled bikes. Now if you had an air cooled twin it would be perfect. I have used Rotella T6 5w-40 in all my bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
well i hate to :hijack: but.... should i swap oil or just ride it through the summer and change before the cold season. i dont want to hurt anything :shakehead:.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Shell Rotella 5W-40 synthetic & Purolator PureOne for me as well! Run from any Fram products (glued together cardboard innards instead of steel) & stay away from gasoline-engined "car" oils & you should be fine. Any motorcycle-specific or diesel oils will work great, as should anything stating JASO certified as mentioned before. I like to use any weight ending on "40" (5W-40, 10W-40, 15W-40, etc).