4 Provinces, 1 Territory and 8 States - Summer 2011

Y

yukon_alex

So, it looks like I am taking a trip at the end of June! My father (rides a 2006 Roadliner) and I are going to Winnipeg to visit my nephew. Then we will be circling back through a number of States and back up the West Coast to Whitehorse. Here's a map.

Whitehorse, YT to Whitehorse, YT - Google Maps

Essentially, each of the destinations on the map is the end point of a day's riding. We are leaving Whitehorse on the morning of the 23rd of June. If you add another 2-3 days in Winnipeg the total will be 16-17 days total (July 10).

So...anyone along the route? Wanna meet up for dinner/lunch or a ride-along as we go?

10,000km in one trip, it's going to be great!:rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Alex, I'm in Portland Oregon and might want to meet you and tag along for a while. Keep me posted if anything changes and it would be cool to meet and ride.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there. Tried to send you a PM but the forum won’t let me for some reason. Maybe it’s broken. Maybe I’m broken.

Anyway, I live in Edmonton and you’re passing right through it. Depending on what your schedule is looking like and what time of day you get here, if you guys need a place to crash for a night you’re more than welcome here. Plus there are some pretty epic burger places right nearby….and I am talking EPIC. Lol.

If you guys were heading west I would maybe tag along for a little bit, but that straight shot to Winnepeg looks a bit daunting to me. You may not have ridden the prairies as often as I have. It is something that is actually kinda cool if you’re not exposed to that sort of thing too often. It’s massive and the skies are endless. It is actually kind of relaxing just riding and just sort of being brainless with nothing to distract you. Some people find it exceptionally boring, but I do enjoy it. Hopefully, you will too. But all things being equal I would rather head directly West out of Edmonton if I had a couple days to ride.

Anyway, keep us posted as you guys work your way closer. That is a decent chunk of mileage. My only advice is to be flexible in terms of crunching out the miles. Get in some solid progress to Winnepeg, then back for a little bit, but leave yourself a bunch of time past Montana, and ESPECIALLY into Washington and Oregon. If you can come up with a schedule where crunching out big-mile days is helpful but not necessary, you will enjoy yourselves more.

I learned a lot about that last season. I did a big trip through the west coast and put on similar milage. The “must hit as many destinations as possible” turns the run into an endurance run and it does mean you pass through some amazing places and really, really wish you had more time. Cutting out a couple destinations is a good thing….especially when they are in the prairies. Lol.

Honestly, if I were you planning that trip, I would completely leave out The Dakotas and head directly for Washington after Winnepeg. The way you have it laid out right now, you will not have the time to explore backroads that much, and southern BC, Washington, and Oregon have BRILLIANT roads scattered through them. You will get in ALL the prairie riding you could ever want crossing diagonally to Winnepeg through Alberta. Seriously, haha.

Don’t cheat yourself the nice casual days working through backroads in southern BC and Washington. Especially not to include several days riding the Dakotas….

Anyway, that’s just my feedback. In the end it will be a good trip regardless. Just keep us posted and let me know how Edmonton works as part of your schedule. I’ve got a house with 2 empty rooms so don’t worry about “imposing” on me or anything. You’re more than welcome to them.

Later!

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Alex, I'm in Portland Oregon and might want to meet you and tag along for a while. Keep me posted if anything changes and it would be cool to meet and ride.

Yo! PM me with your plan and if I'm free, I'll join you. I do have a busy June, so i'm not confirmed, but always looking for a good ride. Plus, we'd both be leaving from Beaverton! :thumbup: