MOTECH Gascap Camera Mount

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks. Got my new Gascap camera mounting system finally today, $119.00 to my doorstep from Twisted Throttle. I took some pics as it looks on the bike, enjoy:
First photo: This is the base unit, with the dual ball-head camera stem, took about 15 minutes to assemble.

Second photo: This is the tank mounting ring. You have to take four of the five existing bolts out simultaneously to mount it, which made me nervous, but it worked fine. The good news is the gas cap is still accessible (this installation is semi-permanent). The bad news is that I can't use a tank bag anymore. :mad: I might have thought twice about this system had I realized that...

Third photo: Side view of the tank ring...

Fourth photo: Here's the base unit mounted to the tank ring; it slips right on and is secured by a spring-mounted pin, very easy on-off. It wouldn't fit at first, then I could see two bolts were striking the tank ring before the latch could engage, two minutes with a Dremel fixed that (something to be aware of if you don't have a Dremel).

Last photo: And finally, here's my Sanyo Xacti VPC C6 digital camera mounted. I picked this up on closeout for $140, have found it on the web for anywhere from $300 to $500! Easy to operate. I've seen similar cameras in the Sunday ads for less than $100, they record onto SD cards.

I'm hoping the weather's a bit better tomorrow, so I can ride up Ogden canyon and try to figure out how to post a Youtube video, haven't done that before. I'm a bit disappointed about not being able to mount my tank bag, but I think I've already figured out a mod to the bag to make it work anyway. I just noticed too that you can see the ThrottleMeister throttle lock on the ends of the handlebars, and my homemade ID card holder between the risers (beats taking a glove off, pulling out your wallet, fumbling for the card, then reversing everything just to get through the gate).

I can see where this accessorizing can get addicting!

(Admin, this was my first try at uploading photos, I mistakenly uploaded them to the Gallery first, those can be deleted to save disk space; thanks!)

Last edited:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good work.

Recording to SD should be good; No moving parts.

Like the car number plate. :thumbup:

N.B. You could have used the gallery pictures in your post.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good work.

Recording to SD should be good; No moving parts.

Like the car number plate. :thumbup:

Fek me chief detective inspecter Grommit, you don't miss a thing do ya. I was just thinking how do you get on the tank with that in the way?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks. Got my new Gascap camera mounting system finally today, $119.00 to my doorstep from Twisted Throttle. I took some pics as it looks on the bike, enjoy:
First photo: This is the base unit, with the dual ball-head camera stem, took about 15 minutes to assemble.

Second photo: This is the tank mounting ring. You have to take four of the five existing bolts out simultaneously to mount it, which made me nervous, but it worked fine. The good news is the gas cap is still accessible (this installation is semi-permanent). The bad news is that I can't use a tank bag anymore. :mad: I might have thought twice about this system had I realized that...

Third photo: Side view of the tank ring...

Fourth photo: Here's the base unit mounted to the tank ring; it slips right on and is secured by a spring-mounted pin, very easy on-off. It wouldn't fit at first, then I could see two bolts were striking the tank ring before the latch could engage, two minutes with a Dremel fixed that (something to be aware of if you don't have a Dremel).

Last photo: And finally, here's my Sanyo Xacti VPC C6 digital camera mounted. I picked this up on closeout for $140, have found it on the web for anywhere from $300 to $500! Easy to operate. I've seen similar cameras in the Sunday ads for less than $100, they record onto SD cards.

I'm hoping the weather's a bit better tomorrow, so I can ride up Ogden canyon and try to figure out how to post a Youtube video, haven't done that before. I'm a bit disappointed about not being able to mount my tank bag, but I think I've already figured out a mod to the bag to make it work anyway. I just noticed too that you can see the ThrottleMeister throttle lock on the ends of the handlebars, and my homemade ID card holder between the risers (beats taking a glove off, pulling out your wallet, fumbling for the card, then reversing everything just to get through the gate).

I can see where this accessorizing can get addicting!

(Admin, this was my first try at uploading photos, I mistakenly uploaded them to the Gallery first, those can be deleted to save disk space; thanks!)
ooks good mate, very pricey for a mount though?

S

sportrider

looks like good quality. I want some kind of a bar mount unit. the tank mount would interfere with my normal riding position.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oof-dah!

Well, I couldn't wait for tomorrow, so I tried it out on a short ride tonight. First thing, it helps to charge the camera battery, it died just as the sunset was hitting the mountains. Then, a guy ran a stop sign and almost nailed me, he pulled over and was extremely apologetic (admittedly it was at a blind intersection) but, heh, got his license number as he drove away (not that I'll do anything about it), just glad I didn't end up on that crash video. :eek: Now I have to charge up the camera's battery before I can download the video, we'll see soon how it looks. This was fun!

I'm not an aggressive driver, I can see how you wouldn't be able to lay down on the tank anymore with that thing on, didn't think of that. It was a bit pricey, but it's well built and has built-in rubber suspension, pretty trick (for reference, I have a $350 Gitzo tripod, $450 Arca-Swiss ballhead and $100 Really Right Stuff setup for my 35mm cameras ;) ).

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and how would I do that? I futzed for a bit but couldn't figure it out (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to HTML). Thanks!

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and how would I do that? I futzed for a bit but couldn't figure it out (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to HTML). Thanks!

You can cut and paste the image. You might need two browsers open to help make it easier if you have more than one image.

Just bring up the image in the one browser. copy it by clicking on the right mouse button, select copy. Then in the post window, right click again and select paste. You could use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V keyboard shortcuts instead of right clicking.

Thus producing...

...which I got out of your gallery.:thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Grommit; that method looks even better, as the photos display at a decent size that way.
And Fred, you're right. Twisted Throttle included their very substantial catalog with my order, I started leafing thru it last night and saw all the tank bags that attach to the ring. :thumbup: One other nice thing about their catalog, the second half of the catalog is arranged alphabetically by bike, so you can just flip to the FZ-6 page and see at a glance every accessory they have for our model; very smart! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Oh, and no video today, it's snowing like a mofo right now... :(