Fuel Gauge Issue

Totts

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm six months into owning my FZ6 (a 2004 model), a brilliant bike. I've just taken it in to have some new tyres (lots of screws in the old ones!), air filter and brake pad change. When leaving the garage I saw the fuel display flashing but put it down to being nearly empty when looking in the tank. So I filled it up once leaving work but it still flashes. Anyone know why this might be? Is it just a matter of reconnecting it somehow? Any help much appreciated.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the connector under the tank. When they changed the air filter, they most likely forgot to hook it back up. I already did this just poking around under the tank.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you could also bring it back to them and make them do it is you are feeling lazy or vindictive, but it is probably just as easy to plug it back in yourself.

The only plus side to having them "discover" what the issue is would be if they somehow cut the wire then they would have a better chance of taking the blame rather than if you find it and tell them about it. They could say that maybe you did it when searching for the issue.

H

HavBlue

The only plus side to having them "discover" what the issue is would be if they somehow cut the wire then they would have a better chance of taking the blame rather than if you find it and tell them about it. They could say that maybe you did it when searching for the issue.

A big plus 1 to this. If they worked on it and it worked fine before you took it in, let them fix it because they probably screwed up when they had the tank up.
This way it's on them.....

Totts

Reaction score
Visit site
It was one of the wires going into the electrical plug under the tank as suggested, shame it wasn't done properly in the first place when serviced but you inspired me to do it myself. Thanks. I've only been riding for a year but it was great being able to take off the fairing and have a good rumage under the tank.

My Dad used to take his Velocette apart every weekend and I can now see the appeal! (albeit with more plastic, fuel injection and a few more wires...)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was one of the wires going into the electrical plug under the tank as suggested, shame it wasn't done properly in the first place when serviced but you inspired me to do it myself. Thanks. I've only been riding for a year but it was great being able to take off the fairing and have a good rumage under the tank.

My Dad used to take his Velocette apart every weekend and I can now see the appeal! (albeit with more plastic, fuel injection and a few more wires...)
Hey mate and Welcome,
I used to work on all my previous bikes with out a worry, I have changed valve shimms and cam chains no problem.
When I got the FZ6 it really changed my confidence. It is so high tech. The other day I did a couple of mods that required me to remove the fairing panels and raise the tank. I also removed the airbox and battery.
I can't tell you how great it was to get muck under my fingernails and see the guts of my bike. It was a real confidence boost.
So fair playto you for having a go.

Nelly

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had the same issue with mine. All bars on the fuel gauge were flashing together.... flash 8 times, few second pause, flash 8 times, repeat, repeat, repeat. My wiring to the sensor was severed.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tip for all: You can tip the tank without taking the inner fairings off PLUS not worry about scratching you tank with the bar-backs.

1. Remove the two screws at the front of the tank.
2. Remove the bolt where the tank hinges in the back.
3. Lift the back of the tank out of the hinge and slide the whole tank back about 2 - 3"
4. Lift and tilt the tank and place the rear back in the hinge. Slide the bolt back in.
5. Bungie or tie the top of the tank back and proceed with your under-tank task.

Reverse this process to put the tank back in place. :thumbup:

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had the same issue with mine. All bars on the fuel gauge were flashing together.... flash 8 times, few second pause, flash 8 times, repeat, repeat, repeat. My wiring to the sensor was severed.

mine did the same thing this morning. but no work has been done. heavy rain last night. no garage just a shed. went a few miles and couple of twists and sweepers and it worked again. strange...

Sir Yarquest

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, It's still doing it, Is there more that 2 plugs under the tank? I had my tank replaced and it started the flashing after I got it back. I took it back and they said take it to the dealer, but the dealer was shut down for not thier bills. I'm in a jam because I got it sold and the guy's going to pick it up Monday. Any other suggestions would be great. For what it's worth, the bike is brand new, never seen rain. Under the tank is not even any dust. The wireing looks perfect.

Thanks
Tony

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's brand new any Yamaha dealer in the country should honour the warantee and fix it for you. Is there another Yam dealer near by you can get it to?