permanent tyre sealants?!

SilentG

Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys, after having yet another bad day yesterday with a flat on the motorway im trying to figure out if its worth while getting the tyres treated with one of those permanent tyre sealants.

because lets face it, there's nothing worse than getting a puncture on a motorway and being forced to call breakdown assistance :(

if anyone has their tyres treated or just some opinions would be great. at the moment i have got it plugged but no doubt there is bound to be a next time :rolleyes:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend it:
1. It increases the rotational mass of your wheel/tire, which will slow your acceleration/deceleration.
2. I haven't looked into the stuff in years, but years ago it was an extremely viscous material, and I'd be afraid of it throwing your wheels out of balance, particularly if your bike's been parked for awhile.
3. Suppose you do take a nail; the stuff would seal around it but then you're riding around with a nail in your tire. I can't give a specific reason but that just doesn't sound like a good thing...

My two scents... ;)

SilentG

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for your input, to be honest thats something that never crossed my mind! :eek:
i am aware of the mushroom sets which can be carried but thats if there's room for it under my seat as i dont always carry a rucksack.

only ever had 2 punctures whilst out and about and they are a pain in the a$$, sods law that it happens miles away from anywhere too.

guess il just stick to fingers crossed that it doesn't happen too often :thumbup:

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site