SpeedoDRD (Speedohealer alternative)

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
So since I went -1/+2 on my sprockets my speedometer has been off. When I am riding around with some traffic it isn't that big a deal since I just go a little faster than everyone else, but I work the night shift and on the way home I am often alone. Since my city has recently purchased a Ford Escape with speed sensors and cameras that they move around to ticket everyone :mad: it is more important than ever that I actually know how fast I am going.

I know that most people use the Speedo Healer to fix their speedos, but it seemed pretty expensive for what it is. I searched around for a while and found two alternatives. One is from Cycle Gear but is only a couple bucks cheaper than the Speedo Healer, and you have to calibrate it while riding, which seems slightly dangerous to me.

The other was what I ended up going with, the SpeedoDRD. It does all the same things as the Speedo Healer, but is smaller. Also it only cost me $70 from Motomummy.

It is very easy to install once you find the connector. I used Speedo Healer's instructions from their website since it has a graphic of which plug to use. However, the Speedo Healer picture shows the speed sensor wire as a two prong connector coming up the right side of the engine, while the SpeedoDRD has a three prong connector. I e-mailed SpeedoDRD about this, asking if maybe I had ordered the wrong version somehow since they offer different connectors for different bikes.

They got back to me within three hours, and not with a form letter! I got a response stating that I did in fact have the correct connector on the SpeedoDRD, and was looking at the wrong one on the bike. He told me the manufacturers sometimes bury the connector down behind the engine, or in a rubber boot. He even offered to go find an FZ6 and take a picture of the correct connector to send to me showing where it is! I went back out, lifted the tank again, and what do you know, it was inside a big rubber boot along with a couple other connectors.

Once I found the connector it was a very simple installation. Programming seems intimidating when reading the instructions (it involves one button and three LEDs) but when actually doing it, it is very simple. I used a correction factor of -17.2%.

And now I have a functioning speedometer! I have ridden with police right behind me going at the speed limit and haven't been pulled over yet. I will try to ride by a speed limit radar sign or a Honda Civic and compare to see if I need to fine-tune my ratio a little, but it is working like a charm so far! I will keep track to see if my odometer changes as well.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, glad you're happy!
I just ordered mine a couple days ago along with a -1 front sprocket, can't wait to get em on. Especially the SpeedoDRD. I drove by a speed camera at what my speedo said was 39 in a 35, and I got flashed. Lame. haha

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed mine at the same time as the 15t front sprocket and set the adjustment for -11.1%. Worked phenomenally.

I wired mine through the same path as the existing wire harness and used the two factory clips in the rear compartment underneath the seat for easy access in case i need to make any changes in the future. It's the perfect length, and looks very clean.
If you're wondering how to set the adjustment there's a great video on youtube for it.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to clarify, did you set it to -11.1%, or +11.1%? Which aftermarket front sprocket do you have?

Awesome, though! When I got mine on, I had to go hunt down some civics so I could match their speed and compare it with mine. haha

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, sorry I put it to -11.1%. I got a JT 15T sprocket. I was using my wife's Honda Pilot to give me my speed. I'm still messing with this thing. I messed with it, then had to supervise the kids, and just now got to go out and play again. But I decided to change the oil and filter. I took it out for a brief cruse and it wasn't quite what my gps said. My guess is I didn't enter correctly the xx.x pattern. So I'm going to mess with it again while the pipes cool down before putting the belly pan back on.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Belly pan back on...speedodrd re calibrated and now spot on. Blinking lights while exhausted are no fun lol. Awesome, totally looking forward to using it :)

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any word on if this corrects mileage reading as well? I know it wont correct the miles I have already clocked, but would it start clocking them correctly after adding this? I have a 15T front sprocket, really would like a correct speedo and trip odometer :)

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had the sprocket on for a few months. It totally changed the bike. Seems to be a bit wheelie happy now when you get on it. Had a little front tire skip coming out of a turn today. I'm really happy with how it makes the power band more useable.