Season 2, First real ride

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so it has been a long cold winter. Temp today is in high 40's so I set out for about a 40 mile ride. I was nice to save some gas, abandon the cage and get a couple things done during my first ride. It's the first time in real traffic situations since Late November ( a couple of twisty runs do not count)

I read alot, maybe too much. And the statistic I have read many times is that seasons 2 thru 4 are way more dangerous than season one. I guess because confidence comes up much quicker after the initial season.

I used to come home after a ride and microanalyze traffic situations and how I did. I would sweat details after the fact fearing for my safety. I think this is still a good practice because it means I am still learning as you should never think your skills are SO good you cannot learn anymore.

Nothing really exciting to report from the ride. Cagers seem a little more courteous than I got used to in season 1. Also, doing shoulder checks is still a critical part of changing lanes and entering the parkway.

So really that's it. Hoping for good season and looking forward to the Canada trip a few of us are doing in mid-may.

Ride safe!!

FB

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm finishing my 2nd season, and your right. As we get more comfortable with riding we tend to forget what we learned in MSF class. At least I have at times. I've tried to take corners faster and lean more in the turns. I try to remember that I'm still learning, and every ride is different. I ride everyday, rain or shine, not when ice is on the road though. My dad once told me of a friend he had when he was younger, when you are not afraid of the bike and riding, then you should stop riding.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've found that the first few rides of a new season are more risky, due to the lower than usual awareness drivers have of motorcycles. Between that, and the lower tire pressure due to the colder air in spring, old brake fluid which has become contaminated with moisture after sitting over the winter..... there's a number of things that can compound to make the assumptions you ride with some what out of kilter with the actual riding conditions. Not as much traction as when you put the bike away.... but you still have the perspective of what is acceptable speed from when you had primo traction available. Your mind wants to start right up where you left off.