need some new tool suggestions

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Well folks I got a few gift cards ($125) to sears and I need some suggestions on what tools I should get. I have a pretty good collection already but I want to hear from some of you guys on what tools you have gotten that most people wouldn't think of and that you cant live without.

I already have most wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, allen keys, and hex keys. torque wrenches, ratchets, etc......any suggestions?

edit:I also work on my own car so those tools apply as well

S

soul2coal

Maybe you already have this, but if not, a set of stubby ratchet wrenches really come in handy sometimes. MATT

W

wrightme43

Mighty Vac hand vacum pump.
Super quick one man brake fluid bleeding, and changes. It will apply pressure too, so it checks fuel injection, and all kinds of stuff.
50$
Totally worth it when you use it.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Mighty Vac hand vacum pump.
Super quick one man brake fluid bleeding, and changes. It will apply pressure too, so it checks fuel injection, and all kinds of stuff.
50$
Totally worth it when you use it.

you got any links to this Steve? sound interesting...I just re-did all the brakes on the civic and this would have came in handy. Thanks

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I second the vacuum pump. Very handy, even for sucking power steering fluid out of the pump you just accidentially over filled.:p

I would also get a small portable air compressor ~$100-150.
A decent quality air ratchet ~$50, very hand tool. For ocasional use a electric impact wrench (Harbor Freight ~$50) will work better than a air powered one, unless you have a big compressor.

My most oft used tool is a Klein 10 in 1 screwdriver, a must have, ~$15.

My second most used tool is a bit more pricey, but was worth in, a 18 volt Panasonic cordless drill, best drill I have ever owned.

Edit: I forgot to mention a pressure washer. For home use you really do not need one above 2500 PSI. I use mine mainly to clean my garage floor, as I tend to be a klutz and spill everything. I had a el cheapo $70 1300 PSI electric one for years and worked ok, but two years a go I bought a Karcher G2500OH on sale for $250, due to a misprint in the ad. There of course are more tools that are neat, but it sounds like you have the main things already.

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks wolf I am about to move into a house w/a garage (finally) so air tools may be the ticket! keep 'em coming boys!

edit: I do have an electric impact and cordless screwdriver.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Seconded on the air compressor, but with one caveat. A $150 air compressor isn't good enough. It looks fine in the store, but the thing is, once you have an air compressor, you'll want to use it for everything. You'll be buying framing nailers and die grinders and changing your own tires and all of a sudden that portable compressor is next to useless.

For the compressor, go big.

Use the gift cards for some air tools so you can justify buying the compressor with your own money. :)

Fred

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Seconded on the air compressor, but with one caveat. A $150 air compressor isn't good enough. It looks fine in the store, but the thing is, once you have an air compressor, you'll want to use it for everything. You'll be buying framing nailers and die grinders and changing your own tires and all of a sudden that portable compressor is next to useless.

Use the gift cards for some air tools so you can justify buying the compressor with your own money. :)

Fred

Now your thinking!

edit:now your thinking? man i cant spell. now you're thinking....

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
Some good suggestions so far...

I have to second the 'go big' comment on the compressor - I have a 5 hp 60 gal upright and I LOVE it. It has served me well for nearly 15 years.
As for air tools - they can be a tricky crowd when it comes to brands and specs. For some things, you can buy the cheapest model from harbor freight and be fine (die grinders, recip saws, air drills, etc.) but for other things I suggest go expensive or don't bother - for 3/8 and 1/2 impact guns, the ingersoll rand composite body guns are the ones that worked the best for me. For 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets...go for the Snap On brand and brace yourself for price tags of about $250 - 300 each. I know - ouch - but it is worth it in the long run. (I worked as a heavy line tech for about 8 years in a ford dealer)

Other ideas -

digital calipers - can usually get a no name brand for well under $50 and Sears may even have that.

Ratchet wrenches - open end on end and ratchet on the other with a very tight profile that is barely any bigger than a standard box end

Wobble extensions for your 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket sets - they work really well, they are extensions that have some of the material removed at the end where the socket attaches to allow it to wobble a bit. eliminates the need - in most cases - for universal joint sockets.

A good digital volt/ohm meter (DVOM) like OTC or Fluke. should be $80-100

Trim removal tool - looks like a flat blade screwdriver with a bend near the end and a slot cut in the end. It is handy for dealing with plastic push pin retainers, door panels, connectors, etc. Use it a LOT.

Infrared temp gun - no explanation needed - if you do not have one...get one.

Man - now I just want to go home and clean/organize my tools - it has been a while!

W

wrightme43

Mityvac
My most used tool is a snap-on ratcheting screwdriver. Oh how I love it. They come in orange too.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Some good suggestions so far...

I have to second the 'go big' comment on the compressor - I have a 5 hp 60 gal upright and I LOVE it. It has served me well for nearly 15 years.
As for air tools - they can be a tricky crowd when it comes to brands and specs. For some things, you can buy the cheapest model from harbor freight and be fine (die grinders, recip saws, air drills, etc.) but for other things I suggest go expensive or don't bother - for 3/8 and 1/2 impact guns, the ingersoll rand composite body guns are the ones that worked the best for me. For 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets...go for the Snap On brand and brace yourself for price tags of about $250 - 300 each. I know - ouch - but it is worth it in the long run. (I worked as a heavy line tech for about 8 years in a ford dealer)

Other ideas -

digital calipers - can usually get a no name brand for well under $50 and Sears may even have that.

Ratchet wrenches - open end on end and ratchet on the other with a very tight profile that is barely any bigger than a standard box end

Wobble extensions for your 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket sets - they work really well, they are extensions that have some of the material removed at the end where the socket attaches to allow it to wobble a bit. eliminates the need - in most cases - for universal joint sockets.

A good digital volt/ohm meter (DVOM) like OTC or Fluke. should be $80-100

Trim removal tool - looks like a flat blade screwdriver with a bend near the end and a slot cut in the end. It is handy for dealing with plastic push pin retainers, door panels, connectors, etc. Use it a LOT.

Infrared temp gun - no explanation needed - if you do not have one...get one.

Man - now I just want to go home and clean/organize my tools - it has been a while!

Thanks for the great list!
I have digital calipers...harbor freight $11.99
I may go with the ratchet wrenches because the ones I have are offset and I like the flat ones w/the adjustable head
I have a few universal joints so I may be able to spend my money else where (stuff I dont have at all)
I do need a new volt meter (old hand me down still works though)
ah ha! trim removal tool that is why I posted this (needed one a few times)
The temp gun I can get cheaper at work (HVAC supplier) than sears so I wont spend my gift cetificates on that.

You mean your tools aren't clean and organized now? :eek: blasphemy!

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the great list!
I have digital calipers...harbor freight $11.99
I may go with the ratchet wrenches because the ones I have are offset and I like the flat ones w/the adjustable head
I have a few universal joints so I may be able to spend my money else where (stuff I dont have at all)
I do need a new volt meter (old hand me down still works though)
ah ha! trim removal tool that is why I posted this (needed one a few times)
The temp gun I can get cheaper at work (HVAC supplier) than sears so I wont spend my gift cetificates on that.

You mean your tools aren't clean and organized now? :eek: blasphemy!

Ok - ok - the tools are pretty clean and organized now, but with winter coming to a close they are due for a wipe down as they usually don't get as much attention during the winter up here.
Besides, I thought it would sound funny to say I was just going to the garage to visit them...
But when you have over $20K invested in tools, you like to check in on the investment from time to time...:thumbup:

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
Good call on the Vacula bleeder - I have an off brand vacuum brake bleeder that uses shop air to do the work - works very well.

Just one caveat - there is one OEM that does not like this method, GM claims that vacuum bleeding can damage seals and valves in their ABS hydraulic units. Sounds ridiculous if you ask me, but that is their position on the subject.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Fred

Yes, a big 60gal compressor is great, but I use my little 1.5hp 4gal one the most. It can be carried anywhere, will run a air ratchet or a 3/8 impact with no trouble. It can also run 2 framing nailers or four finish nailers perfectly. Granted this will not supplement my big one for running a air sander, but it was the best $90 (on sale) I have spent. This way I do not have to constantly fill my portable air tank multiple times to fill my car tires. Something to consider.

Oh, and if you are doing house work, a decent quality fish tape is priceless also. As is a nice miter saw, table saw, sander and this could go on for ever.:)

A nice grease gun may come in handy, along with a bearing packer. Then your parts are going to be dirty so a parts washer may end up on your list too.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure whether Sears would carry the Skeletool CX, but I ordered my online:
Leatherman Skeletool CX
skeletool-cx-diagram.jpg

Last edited:

willoby61726

Reaction score
Visit site
i totally agree with the aircompreesor. i use mine just about more than anything else. buy a good brand and good size. mine is a 20 gallon one and i love it. doesnt work so great for grinders and sanders though. but i use it for air wrenches and nailers from staplers to framing and it works just fine. depends on what you will be doing with it the most.