How to Remove an Oil Filter - Screwdriver

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Step 1) Perform all the steps required as normal; until you reach the step where you must remove the oil filter.

Step 2) At this point, you must allow the bike to cool fully. Be Patient! THIS IS IMPORTANT! You'll see why later.

Step 3) When you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that your bike is cool, INCLUDING THE EXHAUST PIPES, put the DRAIN BOLT BACK onto the bike. Wipe it clean.

Step 4) Move your oil-pan DIRECTLY UNDER the oil filter.

Step 5) Take a FLAT-HEADED screwdriver that has a total length of approx. 20 cm or 7 inches, INCLUDING the handle. Make sure it looks strong!

Step 6) There are 2 good vantage points you can use for attack:

attachment.php

attachment.php

-There isn't a great deal of space to work with. The idea is to put the tip of your FLAT-HEAD screwdriver JUST BELOW the top-edge of the oil-filter. (SEE PIC BELOW)

PLACE TIP HERE
attachment.php

CHISEL THE SCREWDRIVER IN THIS FAR WITH A HAMMER
attachment.php

-Use small taps. There will be a small splurge of oil everytime you chisel. This is normal. GOOD THING THE OIL IS COOL!

WARNING! - DO NOT CHISEL THE SCREWDRIVER IN TOO FAR! YOU WILL STRIKE YOUR ENGINE!

Step 7) Once your screwdriver is secure inside the oil-filter, attempt to turn the cyliner counter-clockwise (left for loosing). You may need to retrieve the screwdriver and chisel the filter again for another vantage.

Step 8) When you've loosened the filter enough, you can take it off by hand. WATCH FOR SHARP EDGES! MAKE SURE THE OIL IS COOL!

Step 9) Discard the oil filter properly. Finish the rest of the oil-change procedure.

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there something I'm missing....I remove the oil filter with an oil filter wrench I bought at advanced auto parts.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is there anything in the filter that stops us from pushing the screwdriver straight through rather than in a little bit at an angle? on my other bikes i have always just pushed it all the way and used it as a t-handle. of course the filters on those bikes have been on the front of the engine, not on the side.

H

HavBlue

Is there something I'm missing....I remove the oil filter with an oil filter wrench I bought at advanced auto parts.

I must be missing the same thing. Better yet, My K&N filter has a nut welded on the end of the filter and a socket and ratchet work real quick.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah, find if you want to do it the right way... this is the way to do it for all the cheap bastids out there.

I must be missing the same thing. Better yet, My K&N filter has a nut welded on the end of the filter and a socket and ratchet work real quick.

Good to know, K&N Oil filters for me from now on too!. do you knwo the part number off the top of your head? I can go look it up if not, but i am about to order the filter for my 1st oil change on the FZ.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics and write up, i just changed my oil anf filter this weekend and i just grabed the oil filter from the front with a pair of large channel lock pliers and twisted. much like twisting a tooth out. No mess.;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,
I think that although the majority of readers don't like the idea. I personally like to know that a "Cat can be skinned in many ways". I don't have an oil filter wrench yet.
Nice clear pictures.

Thanks

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I remove all my filters by hand. clean the mounting location with a rag and lube the oring. turn 3/4 once the filter touches the base. it wont leak and you wont have a problem taking it off.

its when you crush the seal and make the filter actually make contact with the block that makes it so hard to take off. well that and not lubing the seal so you have to try and spin it off dry.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I remove all my filters by hand. clean the mounting location with a rag and lube the oring. turn 3/4 once the filter touches the base. it wont leak and you wont have a problem taking it off.

its when you crush the seal and make the filter actually make contact with the block that makes it so hard to take off. well that and not lubing the seal so you have to try and spin it off dry.

You must have strong fingers to do that in such a tight place, i use the pliers just for a good grip, and like you say, if you don't overtighten it (I always put it on by hand) and use the film of oil, it's easy.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
i have strong hands. but it doesnt help if its been over tightened from a previous mechanic. then you have no choice but use a alternate method.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The screwdriver is a move of desperation. You do it when you've tried every other method and none of them have worked. It'll give you lots of leverage. Either the filter will unscrew, or the screwdriver will tear through the oil filter. If it unscrews, great. If the screwdriver just tears up the oil filter, you're up a creek because now you can't even drive/ride to a mechanic to get it fixed.

Fred

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics and write up, i just changed my oil anf filter this weekend and i just grabed the oil filter from the front with a pair of large channel lock pliers and twisted. much like twisting a tooth out. No mess.;)

Dude, you are hardcore!

W

wrightme43

I have this groovy german oil filter pliers. It fits down to our bike, and up to big trucks. I like it.

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
There are a LOT of options for filter removal - for me, the screwdriver is the last resort, but nice job on the description, write up and pictures all the same.

Any chance the german filter wrench is some sort of strap wrench?

I was a tech at a dealer for about 8 years and I have 7 or 8 different styles of filter wrenches and then there are the channel locks, scredrivers, etc. as back up.

I subscribe to hand removal, because as mentioned above, if you lube the square cut seal on the filter and you do not over tighten it, it will not leak and it will be easily removed by hand at a later date. Many quick lube shops are now starting to use inch-pound torque wrenches to prevent over tightening the filters and the drain plugs.

The factory filter had to be removed with an adjustable filter remover that looks like a three fingered claw - it is very versatile...here is a link with a picture:
Filter Wrench