Cover or not cover front brake???

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you keep the front brake covered at all time???I've been working on keeping the front brake covered, except in turns...I try to keep two fingers on the lever with no pressure... What do you do???:don'tknow:

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm in traffic I do my best to avoid the necessity of the brakes, but sometimes I'll cover. I rarely do while riding in the rural areas. I just keep my eyes peeled and make sure I have an "exit strategy".

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cover it when I sense there's a chance I may have to get on the brake in a hurry: passing hidden driveways, seeing cars at stop signs about to merge into my lane or cross the road, cars about to make left turn possibly in front of me, deer on side of the road, etc.
Otherwise uncovered.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
in town, yes, always 2 fingers on the front brake...
cruising on open roads, no..and partly because I
like to change hand positions constantly on long rides

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got told not to. I tried the two finger thing, but sometimes I wound up needing more brake and then had to let off and move my other two fingers out of the way. Or I let off accidentally while moving my fingers. Either way, easing off the brakes when you're in "holy crap" brake mode, isn't fun.

Besides, I see guys run with their brake lights on all the time, and they always swear they're not pulling hard enough to make the lights come on. But the random flashing brake light makes me ignore it after awhile. Which, consequently, is why I nearly rear ended my buddy. Thankfully my wheel stopped inches from his rear, and he didn't notice...

But I vote, "only cover when I think I might need it."

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Two fingers on both levers. I got into the habit of doing that after reading Nick Ienatsch's book Sport Riding Techniques. Now it feels natural and odd if I don't cover the levers. I always pull the clutch with 2 fingers.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
_+1 on the above. Two fingers on the front brake with SS lines will stop the bike...

+1 as above. Making no assumptions about finger strength, if you have to use more than two fingers on the brakes to get MORE than enough braking force on any modern sportbike, you need to have the brakes checked out as soon as you can!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you keep the front brake covered at all time???I've been working on keeping the front brake covered, except in turns...I try to keep two fingers on the lever with no pressure... What do you do???:don'tknow:

Take the MSF course and find out for yourself how we instruct our riders about that.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I do exactly what Goop said after reading Nick Ienatsch's book Sport Riding Techniques and now it comes natural. I think it's a good habit considering the time it takes to put your fingers on the brake lever and to squeeze the lever. Seems you would cut down the response time to applying the brakes by more than half.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't ride with either levers covered; I reach for them when I need them.

My thought is when I reach for the front brake I'm letting go of the throttle (kicking in engine braking) while hitting the rear brake. Considering how fast this process is for me, I would hope I'm never in a situation where already having my hands on the lever would have made a difference.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Take the MSF course and find out for yourself how we instruct our riders about that.

I took the basic beginner MSF course, and I wanted to get a different opinion...:thumbup: The MSF is mandatory in Texas...:rockon: I would have taken it anyway, I believe in being as safe as possible...:

Nick Ienatsch's book Sport Riding Techniques gives a different opinion, and I wanted to see what works for other riders...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

THe MSF course is now mandatory here in Florida. It wasn't when I got my MC licence in 1978, a written test and short follow me (while I ride) around the block test.

What does most MSF courses teach?

I suspect its not to cover the levers as most new riders are still learneing what levers do what. I'm not an instructor but have taught several other friends how to ride (when MC permits to ride were available) successfully...

My friends son took the course here in Florida and passed... He could barely get the bike rolling.. He was on my now FZ6, which he laid down twice (each side). I ended up spending about 2 hours helping him with the throttle/clutch control....

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At least 2 fingers covered on both sides at all times.....thats how I rode my dirt bike and it just feels natural that way. The small amount of time it takes to add more fingers could make the difference in avoiding an accident, in my opinion. :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i tend to cover it if i think i might need it, i do seem to have developed a habit of constantly covering the clutch though.

in terms of reactions, it probably takes 0.5 seconds longer to reach for the front brake, and if it's slow speed stuff then i wouldn't really want to use it

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I was taught not to cover and when you go to use them use all fingers and not just two. You have better control when you do this and you won't accidentally hit the breaks unless you mean to.

I only use those types I'd technics when I'm on my mountain bike.