Noise tickets being overturned...

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle noise ticket quashed - Canada - Canoe.ca

I was wondering how long before people got ticked off enough to do something about this. Almost half of all issued tickets are being fought, and it has been alleged here and in some other articles that there has been difficulty having the officers maintain an industry testing standard...

Interesting stuff. Wonder if they'll eventually quash the bi-law completely?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In California, starting in 2013 your exhaust will have to have visible badge stating it's compliance and you will not be able to alter the OEM exhaust without being fined. I imagine all other states will follow. Law enforcement will not need any training or meters.
It's a shame because there are people that have continually abused the general public with the sound of there bikes and I'm not talking just about unbaffled HD pipes.

I listen to people with inline fours who continually have to have attention by redlining off traffic lights in my neighborhood. I have TBR's and they are loud but I putt out of town before I get near exploiting the bike's power.
No doubt the world will see a bike called the Harley Davidson Segway come into existence. :Flip:

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the article. I can only hope that they either don't go through with these stupid laws or redact them altogether here in the states. I do agree there is a problem with excessively loud bikes. My thought is it isn't the pipes so much as the user.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Want to quash stupid bylaws and useless ticketing....have EVERYONE dispute and fight their tickets. This will cost the city much more than any revenue they will receive from their chicken s*it tickets, plus it will totally backlog and bung up the courts and system trying to process all the disputes.

Yes it will cost the ticketholder some of their time (missed wages, court fee, etc), but it will prove a point that people will not put up with it!

Power BACK to the people!! Quit raping your tax paying citizens!!!

My hero, Adam Carolla, has a great rant about California cops:

(strong language)
Adam Carolla Rants about LAPD Police on Vimeo

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
With the CA law, it's not retroactive. It only applies to bikes made in 2013 and up. That alone will make it so that no cop will bother. Sure, you'll see a few tickets once it goes into effect, but after that? Pffft. It might result in people with older moto's getting nailed, but it'll backfire on them. I for one, will fight any such BS ticket. It's just as retarded as those pointless carpool lanes! Or as I call them, "revenue lanes". Pure revenue generation, nothing more. Like who the heck is going to be hurt by me driving in the revenue lane with no passengers?! It's not even a moving violation, so what's the point?! REVENUE, that's the point. Hey, CA legislators and other douches : :Flip: /End Rant

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Adam Carolla is funny!
Here's another rant (NSFW) that was posted this year when South Park did the BruBrub Brub thing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owQ1mkuVxyk&feature=related]YouTube - Adam Carolla on Bikers[/ame]

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a stupid law to begin with. Certainly you can make a case against the HD riders who drill out the baffles and make too much noise, but the majority of the bike market (even with aftermarket exhausts installed) are still comparable to an proper aftermarket vehicle performance exhaust.

They're purposefully targeting all bikes due to a small segment of bikes. What about the Honda's, Acura's, Dodge Neon's, and big trucks with the Cherry Bomb (Magnaflow, GReddy, HKS, etc) exhausts?? What about the same cars with the stereo's that are so loud you can hear them in your car, and their own bodywork is rattling off?? :Flip::spank:

I think it's a BS law, and sincerely hope it gets quashed. I suspect it won't last long in Canada, and feel bad for all you Californians...

Just my $0.02, YMMV.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I saw this in yesterday's newspaper and was not surprised and thinking "I knew this would happen".

When they first rolled out with this new bylaw and demonstrated the test on the news earlier last year, it was clear they were not conducting the test properly. Everything from testing with obstructions within the vicinity, ambient noise exceeding the minimum test area like on a bus route or adjacent to a busy road, and the list goes on. To all, this, if you ever get pulled over for testing, pull out the phone and start taking pictures on how the test is being conducted and the surroundings too. You'll have a leg to stand on in court if you are pretty sure your bike won't pass the test.

I have the two Bro exhaust and P1 tips installed. Even before the bylaw was passed last year, I had run numerous sound tests (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/6174-fz6-exhaust-sound-level.html) and concluded without a doubt that I could pass this test not riding like an a$$hat in the city if I kept the RPM's below 8k.

Where I am leading with this is I had the fortunallity of being pulled over coming around the bend near the river valley by the LEO who were tagging all motorcycles last year. I was directed to a spot just off the road where they were conducting sound tests and a Harley was up front and center. Poor bastard, I don't think he had a chance... :Flip:. Anyway, a second LEO sees me pull in, looks the bike over and tells me to move on. You gotta remember too that I am idling in at under 4k RPM at mb 5KPH so a thoroughly heated engine with TB's have a very low rumble almost music to the ear.

The bylaw isn't going to go away, instead the police are going to make sure they know how to conduct a test properly so the next person to show up in court is going to get nailed. Furthermore, after last year's incident, I think they are mainly targeting the cruisers and mainly Harleys. As the video Cliff posted up, they are a$$hats and deserve what's coming to them! They crack their throttles at red lights, shake windows, roar down streets in 1st gear, and the whole time in their puny pea sized brain wonder why their freedom to ride the noisiest machine made by man is being challenged.

Hope I didn't piss anyone off here..., if so, you might be divulging the size of your brain. ;)

Last edited: