Yamaha FZ-6 handling... Is CBR600 better?

shamu1023

Reaction score
Visit site
Preface:
I'm a new rider, I've just purchased an FZ-6 last year, and it's my first bike.

I rode my friends CBR600 last year, and I think I like it better?!

FZ-6:
Pros: Comfortable upright position, and also has balls like a R6!
Cons: I don't feel as comfortable with handling on this bike as the CBR600.

CBR600:
Pros:
Again, I rode my buddies for one day... It just felt more natural, when it came to turning, and handling. I felt like my center of gravity was lower, and it stuck to the road better. It was like it fit like a glove, where my FZ-6 seems a bit disconnected from me.
Cons:
Obvious downward position... I don't know if i could get used to that... especially if i plan on going on a couple 3-4 hour trips this summer.

Any comments? Is this normal? Should I do something different on my FZ-6 to get that better handling feeling? Do I need to change something on the bike that could improve in this area?

I'm looking for general advice... I was considering seeling, and getting the CBR600...but again, I don't think I really want a traditional sport bike...I think I like the sport touring more, overall.

Thanks in advance!

bjorn240

Reaction score
Visit site
Life is full of compromises. I think you just found one. True super sport tires would help your FZ6, but it isn't going to handle like a mass-centralized 600cc super sport, because it isn't one.

Be glad you didn't ride a 250cc two-stroke road racing bike. Your FZ6 would feel like a Road Glide.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
you pretty much just summarized the differences in those 2 bikes, your observations are consistent with the target markets...borrow a Sportster for a few hours, then try your FZ

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My solution was to modify the riding position of FZ6 to have the best of both worlds. Just by switching out the stock bar to FZ1 bar (lower and more forward) the riding position became a bit more sporty and handling is more responsive with more weight over front wheel. It's still super comfortable, which is why I chose it over full-on sport bike to begin with.
Also make sure rear has enough preload on it. If it's too soft, bike will handle like a cruiser.

In the end though no one can tell you what you should be riding. If you loved the CBR and can be comfortable on it for longer rides, maybe that's the right bike for you.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
The CBR handles incredibly well; far better than the FZ6, as it should having reasonable quality cartridge forks as standard.

You'd be surprised how comfy the CBR is for long distances.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
Different strokes, but I'd spend some coin on a better bar, suspension tuning, better tires and then a few track days before I dismissed the potential of the FZ6. It's easily one of the "fastest" six-hundreds I've ridden. That is because I favor a more upright riding position. I've witnessed stock SV650s eat CBRs alive on 2-lane back-roads. You aren't qualified to question the bikes ability, just yet. No disrespect intended, but my FZ6 regularly leads our pack of riders. (Buell 1125, ZX-6, CBR600RR, Yamaha R1, etc)

The bike is about 10% of the equation. I will say ditching that garbage stock bar will make a world of difference. That, coupled with getting the sag in order, will transform that little Fazer into a canyon chewing maniac.

True story.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have both a 2006 FZ6 and a 2003 CBR600 in my garage. The CBR is not mine but I've put some hours on her as she's my good friend's and I'm allowed to ride it whenever I want for storing it. And done quite a bit of maintenance on it. And every now and then I drive it home instead of the FZ6 to mix it up, which is a two hour drive or so. In my opinion the FZ6 actually handles better than the CBR and I feel as though I have more control and the long distance is nothing compared to the comfort with the FZ6. Wouldn't trade the FZ6 for a CBR or similar model any day.

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
If I may chime in a bit late:
I have owned an 04 cbr 600 and now have the 07 fz6

CBR turns better and is faster (as it should be), fz6 is not far behind but riding position is better on my back/neck
But if you want a race bike, the Honda is the way to go. Better riding position then the others

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
changed the front oil and springs to a make it stiffer (WP)

fitted dual compound tires to add to the handling and grip. (power pilot 2CT)

installed the fz1 bar, which changed the riding position to sportier aggressive stance and forces the weight of the rider closer to the ground (mass centralization)

Now I am pretty happy with the setup for aggressive sport riding and cruising for long distances!

PS: The back suspension could use an update too, but no money no honey... :(