Dunlop Sportsmax OEM tyres

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an FZ6S2 with Dunlop Sportsmax tyres that have done about 1500 miles from new on the bike and havent yet flattened off in the middle

Riding on the greasy roads around here in Wales at this time of year I have had a few 'moments' where the back end slips.

My son rides my bike and he has had the same especially on right hand bends but I dont think that is significant

On dry roads the tyres are fine

What are other peoples opinions on the Sportsmax?

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I hated the OEM tyres. Had Sportmax's on my '05 too, did about 5,000 Kms on them when I got a nail in the rear. Best thing that ever happened to me, got a new Michelin and the bike handled so much better. So much so, I changed out the front and that was hardly worn at all.

Get rid of the Dunlops and get a better quality tyre... Just my opinion.

:rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
General consensus is that they are less than great.
I rode mine to 7k miles, at which point rear was completely squared off.
I've felt mine let go a few times only when practicing tight U-turns, but otherwise had no issues with them.

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought they are ok, I've done about 5k and have 2mm left on the front and 2.5 mm on the rear. They have never given me any dodgy moments.
Maybe I'm not riding fast enough, (Don't think so though) !
I live near Bristol and frequently ride Wye Valley, Heads of the Valley, Brecon area. Lovely Biking roads.

Last edited:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I had Avon Vipers on my FZS600 and I found them pretty good and warmed up quickly so maybe I will change them soon.

I guess it is a bit unfair on the tyres as I am not riding fast enough on the greasy roads to warm them up at all and they get a rim of slime either side of the riding line which maybe I hit when I lean a little farther over- as I said they seem fine on the dry roads but that is a bit limiting

Tsifly

If you ever get up this way I will show you some really good roads but we come down your way to Chepstow and ride up the Wye valley to Monmouth- and that is one of our favourite rides.... but Wales has so many!

Used to live in Wiltshire and have people down there so I sometimes ride down that way too with inlaws