Tyre Repair

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Copped another foreign object in my rear :eek:(tyre) in a brand new tyre:rant:, and decided that this time, as I want to do some touring, and low speed non-psycho-twisty riding, I would go the repair route.

So I got myself one of these.

View attachment 33480

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/street-tire-repair-and-inflation-kit.html

Not only could I repair my tire, but now, with the CO2 cannisters, I have the peace of mind of knowing I can do running repairs on long hauls:cheer:.

The kit itself seems quite good, and comes with a decent bag to put under the seat:thumbup:.

I've got a couple of weeks before I go touring to see if it reliable or not, before trusting it into the middle of nowhere:thumbup:

This particular kit comes with two 45gram cylinders, which I'm told will do around 30psi each in a 190 rear, and has the right angle connector so you can actually get the thing on the inflation valve.

Unfortunately I'll now have to take it easy for the life of the tire, but that's not such a bad thing. Will give my wallet a break from buying tyres every 4-6 weeks.

I'll defiitely post up a bit of a review when I get my next tyre:thumbup:.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike's got something similar - Grip It I think.

What do you do to your tyres?

You should be shares in a tyre company :D

If I didn't despise riding on cruddy tyres I would set myself up with a youtube tyre testing thing. As it is, I know what I like, and nobody wants to see me repeatedly putting BT016's through their paces.

I can say that the very putty-like stickiness, of a warm BT016 is also it's downfall in that it picks up nails etc, very easily. This one was a piece of pallett from out the front of the store at work. When I get to work my tyres are usually pretty warm...lol.:rockon::rockon::BLAA:

As for what I do to them......:D:mikebike:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the 016's are not cheap when you think of how fast they wear but they do stick!

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this at the motorcycle show. It looks good and fast. I guess it's kind of the same.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6xAzwhRUWo]YouTube - Stop N Go Demo[/ame]

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this at the motorcycle show. It looks good and fast. I guess it's kind of the same.YouTube - Stop N Go Demo

I wasted my money and my time some time ago with that kit, it never worked out and it really pissed me off :spank:

all the plugs I put went deep after about 500 meters riding and all the air escaped again

so I took ozzieboy's route with the traditional tubeless tire repair kit, but instead of the CO2 cartridges I use a slime mini air compressor that connects to the battery (cable included with the compressor), it is ridiculously small and I don't need to worry about having enough cartridges or needing to find a tire workshop in order to get more air, I have used it plenty of times, always worked flawlessly

This is the air compressor

slime_2.jpg

Slime 12 Volt Power Sport Tire Inflator - Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant

Here I am using it to restore the tires to street riding pressures after some off roading :D

p1090086.jpg

Here you can barely see the connection cable, notice the red cable under the chassis

49459270.jpg

If some needs a "good" picture just let me know

Cheers

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
excellent, after putting the plug you don't need to baby the tire, not racetrack speeds and loads, but you can ride fast enough without being like a turtle

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
excellent, after putting the plug you don't need to baby the tire, not racetrack speeds and loads, but you can ride fast enough without being like a turtle

I actually gave it the full load test, by taking all the weight off the front wheel:rockon:, and on a slight bend as well. Handled that fine. I'm pretty confident it's going to be no problem (I don't know any better way of stressing a tyre than to have it spinning up slightly, while carrying the front through a turn:BLAA:). I was concerned at first that the unsnipped bit that is required to remain sticking out would be a little slick, but it doesn't appear to be. I'll probably give them a proper twisty test tomorrow:thumbup:.

Then after 3 days, and all sorts of riding I'll check pressures. I had 35.6 psi in it to start with, on a similar temperatured day, so it ought to be ball park-ish.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Copped another foreign object in my rear :eek:(tyre) in a brand new tyre:rant:, and decided that this time, as I want to do some touring, and low speed non-psycho-twisty riding, I would go the repair route.

So I got myself one of these.

I have the same kit & have used it a few times(havent had to use the co2 cylinders though).If anyones worried ? They work fine.I have 3:eek:,yes 3 in my current rear tyre & regulary ride at $1:40-50ish(kph)you just gotta keep an eye on the tyre pressure.If your still worried,you've probably got more chance of being cleaned up by a cage than having a catastophic failure(JMO);)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wicked!:thumbup: Thanks mate. Was hoping some folks would chime in with some experience. I'm pretty confident that these are gonna be just fine. If they do let go, it'll most likely be as a slow leak, which I'll feel.

No troubles with the unsnipped end being a bit slippery? Mines about halfway between the middle and the edge of the tyre, so it's right in the full 138HP firing line so to speak:eek:...lol.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a nail puncture a 2-week old rear on my 1997 TL1000s. I plugged it and ran that rear until cords were showing. That bike wasn't known for being easy on rear tires, either.

Just sayin'.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Wicked!:thumbup: Thanks mate. Was hoping some folks would chime in with some experience. I'm pretty confident that these are gonna be just fine. If they do let go, it'll most likely be as a slow leak, which I'll feel.

No troubles with the unsnipped end being a bit slippery? Mines about halfway between the middle and the edge of the tyre, so it's right in the full 138HP firing line so to speak:eek:...lol.

You might feel it at first,but once it wears down level :noworries:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My experience with bicycle tires and CO2 has been that it escapes from the tire pretty quickly but it's plenty good enough to get you home to replenish with regular air and then you're good to go. The CO2 somehow gets through the rubber or something.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got a chance to test out the tyre repair, and I'm very happy. A mostly casual ride up to, and along Lobethal road, with some occasional tyre torture tests thrown in, and no dramas, at all. Tyre pressures were identical to what I put in nearly a week ago. Only a couple of small squirms, that felt different to normal, on the correct side of the tyre to be caused by the repair. Certainly nothing to bother me. Oh!, I also took the bike through a nice sweeper, at 230km/h-ish, so the repair seems pretty safe to me at more sane speeds:D.

I've not had to use a CO2 cannister yet, but I'll bear in mind, it might slowly leak, but since I'd probably only use one cannister, which I'm led to believe will get me around 30 psi, I'd have to stop at the next servo anyhow:thumbup:.

Obviously it's up to folks to make their own minds up, but I personally am quite happy with the repair, and will be making use of them again:thumbup:.

I actually started this thread because I probably ride a bit nuttier than most folks, and I was thinking that if these were good enough to work with what I do to tyres, they should be pretty reliable for most normal applications.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasted my money and my time some time ago with that kit, it never worked out and it really pissed me off :spank:

all the plugs I put went deep after about 500 meters riding and all the air escaped again

so I took ozzieboy's route with the traditional tubeless tire repair kit, but instead of the CO2 cartridges I use a slime mini air compressor that connects to the battery (cable included with the compressor), it is ridiculously small and I don't need to worry about having enough cartridges or needing to find a tire workshop in order to get more air, I have used it plenty of times, always worked flawlessly

This is the air compressor

slime_2.jpg

Slime 12 Volt Power Sport Tire Inflator - Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant

Cheers

Thanks for the advise, i have that exact compressor, I love it, I use it with the cigarret lighter outlet from Radio Shack.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update time. All good so far. I'm babying the tyre through another couple of weeks, but it's been given the whole range of torture tests and I've had no dramas....not even pressures dropping:thumbup:.

I've twistied it, then put 46 psi in it for the ride to and from Hall's Gap, which is around a 1060km round trip on horrible straight roads.

I got to within 80km of home and stopped at the start of the twisties and dropped pressure to 35 psi to try to get the tyre round again, still with all my gear on board...lol.

Then went out the next day, and went as hard as I've ever ridden on the road to finish rounding them off, and now, like I said, I'm just babying them through for a couple more weeks (hopefully).:thumbup:

I'm thoroughly impressed with these things. The pack, the polish of the whole thing, and the ease of use combined with the apparent reliability, gives me comfort that I can easily get myself home if I get a puncture.:cheer: