tire dilema

arcata2

Reaction score
Visit site
I started out with the stock Dunlops. After a couple thousand miles they began to feel squirrely, like I wasn't connected to the road. I finally got to the point that I decided to make a change. Without doing much research the guys at the bike shop suggested the Pirelli Angels, so I bought them. At first they felt great, lots of solid road feel. Then after 200-300 miles they began to feel really squirrely. I just feel like I'm not connected to the road. They are much worse than the Dunlops. I've read many threads on tires and am considering the Michelin Pilot road 2. Then I read another post where a guy went over his tires with a wirebrush. Opinions? I'm really afraid to ride any distance the way it feels and don't want to make another expensive mistake. And what is a Pilot road 2CT? That was the highest rated in the poll.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok this is direct from Michelin's web page about the tire, I have also included a quote from an old thread about tires I have. The quote is from Wolfman. He is vary knowledgeable and I respect his opinion.

Until now, you had to make a choice: the grip of a softer tire - or the durability of a harder tire? But thanks to Michelin 2CT dual-compound technology, MICHELIN® Pilot® Road 2 tires offer both grip and durability in one tire. By integrating a soft rubber compound on the tread shoulders with a wear-resistant compound down the middle, Michelin gives you the best of both worlds. The Pilot® Road 2 tire is like two tires in one.

* Best combination of wet grip and tread life of any comparable tire, confirmed in independent testing*
* Rider confidence in challenging conditions
* 12 sizes covering 94% of all sport touring radial fitments
* The only dual-compound tire in the sport touring segment
* Innovative front and rear tread designs
* Winner, 2009 Motorrad and Moto Revue sport touring tire tests
* 180/55 ZR 17 rear also available in a 'B' version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up.

I say replace both tyres now...but with what???

If you ride hard, and need a frilly tyre that won't let you down...go for a nice set of tyres to suit.

If you want a decent amount of miles out of your tyres, plus excellent dry and wet weather grip, you can't go past the ol' Michelin pilot road 2's...plenty of tyre for just about all situations.

Personally, I am about to try something like a set of bridgestone BT-016 pro's(new) or a set of pirelli diablo Rosso 2's(new) both supposedly very sticky, but with good life expectancy, and reasonable wet weather grip (I try to avoid riding in rain!) for my touring FZ6 for my upcoming tour of Tassie with Kazza and Humperdinckel!

Both these tyres are up to the minute in terms of tyre technology, and maybe the Michelins pilot road 2's are getting a bit left behind now that the tyre design is about 5 years old now...Michelin are about to replace this tyre anyway, with their latest and greatest sports touring tyre...

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I started out with the stock Dunlops. After a couple thousand miles they began to feel squirrely, like I wasn't connected to the road. I finally got to the point that I decided to make a change. Without doing much research the guys at the bike shop suggested the Pirelli Angels, so I bought them. At first they felt great, lots of solid road feel. Then after 200-300 miles they began to feel really squirrely. I just feel like I'm not connected to the road. They are much worse than the Dunlops. I've read many threads on tires and am considering the Michelin Pilot road 2. Then I read another post where a guy went over his tires with a wirebrush. Opinions? I'm really afraid to ride any distance the way it feels and don't want to make another expensive mistake. And what is a Pilot road 2CT? That was the highest rated in the poll.

What pressures are you running?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A wire brush...There could be a large number of possibilities. Tire pressure. What do you have in the those cases? How much weight and where? When you're loaded up is there enough sag in the back that you've changed geometry. Is there enough added weight that you need to run a higher tire pressure? Upping the rear spring pre-load may help. Check the head bearings and swing arm pivot.
What type of riding are you talking about? What are the ambient temperatures?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wouldnt keep buying new tires, check your tire pressure, check to make sure your not spraying chain lube on your rear tire, make sure you are not riding on a road with coal dust or sand or something on it making it slick.

i know if i ride on a road about 25 miles from my house that is by 2 mines that it is very slick due to the coal dust. your prob may be chain lube

i love my 2ct's, a huge improvement over stock

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was a kid we had a coal furnace for heating and I was the fireman. That coal dust can get like dry graphite lube!

arcata2

Reaction score
Visit site
My pressures are at 32 f/r. I ride streets mostly straight with some moderate curves. No coal dust or other in this area. I generally run the luggage pretty much empty. Just some rain gear.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My pressures are at 32 f/r. I ride streets mostly straight with some moderate curves. No coal dust or other in this area. I generally run the luggage pretty much empty. Just some rain gear.

The minimum spec for the FZ6 tire pressure is 33 front 36 rear.
Here's an additional chart. See how the tire pressure is increased with the weight. Varied tire pressure on a bike is so much more noticeable than in a car. It will really change how the bike feels.

Last edited:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
32 front 32 rear is very low. The Pirelli's are a good tire...I bet if you increased your pressures you will be in better shape. I run 36 front 40 rear.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I got Michelin Pilot road 2 just a few weeks ago, the break in was easy and they appear like good tires for the price.