Where to purchase an external power socket for my sat nav?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to run my sat nav directly from my battery. Any ideas and where can I get it from? I was thinking of some sort of cigerette lighter tye of assembly?

Neil

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
this is what i have done,,,it is a simple cigarette lighter,,,,directly hooked up to the battery and a 20A fuse to the positive side...
now im gonna be able to run my gps or any other device

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thats the one ..

This is what you need Perryn. You need the one with the cigarette lighter socket on the end.

You can also get them with the flip top if you want to put them into the fairing. The difference between this one and the other one shown is that in Europe we can get more attachments to fit in the cig lighter socket type.

I also have a coil that boils my water up for my coffee, a battery charger for my camera and a neon light for my tent.

I made my own up and it sits under my seat.

Steve

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
just looked at this kit and noticed it has an 8 amp fuse, i would have thought that was rather high. if it was me i would look at the spec for your model of sat nav and see what current it draws then match the fuse accordingly.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I got of those babies and it was an easy install. I did later found out that TwistedThrottle.com also sells these for either BMW socket or standard cigarette lighter socket, they also sell mounting plates that you install on the handlebar top clamp. Here's a link if your interested, personally I would have gone with the latter if given the choice. TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Universal Mounting Bracket for flush-mount 12-volt Cigarette-style socket - CPA.00.006.160
TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH flush-mount 12-volt Cigarette-style socket with fused battery hookup harness - CPA.00.006.103

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just looked at this kit and noticed it has an 8 amp fuse, i would have thought that was rather high. if it was me i would look at the spec for your model of sat nav and see what current it draws then match the fuse accordingly.
Hi Mate,
That makes perfect sense. The adaptor that I am running from the external source to the Nav has the correct 1amp fuse in it. I was assuming that that would be ok.

Nelly

Rusty

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi i purchased cigarette lighter adaptor fo my tom tom from "nippy normans" for about £20. works great! hope this helps

ps can anyone recomend what fuse is needed for a tom tom.

tom