Around the lake Tour Route

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
So my buddy and I are planning our first Big Motocamping trip. I figured in 4-5 nights Considering the 1200 Mile length. I got on Google maps and put in the five points and then started looking at motorcycleroads.com for some good roads along the way. Im not too big a fan of long straight riding lol.

A few of the roads im covering are...

In Mich.
-Famous M-22 Highway
-Tunnel Of Trees Road aka M-119

In Wisc.
-Nicolet National Forrest Area
-Menomonee Reservation Area
-Zig-Zag Through the Kettle Moraine

Here is my Route on Google Maps Granger, IN to Granger, IN - Google Maps

So what do you guys think? Im a little worried that some sections may be too long for a single day. I've heard somewhere that a experianced tourer stays under 500mi or 5hrs a day so this would def be pushing that. Any of you hardcore tourers think this is too much?

We plan to do this in early may so if any of you in the area of our route would like to join us, we'd love to have some company :thumbup:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
....So what do you guys think? Im a little worried that some sections may be too long for a single day. I've heard somewhere that a experianced tourer stays under 500mi or 5hrs a day so this would def be pushing that. Any of you hardcore tourers think this is too much?

I'm no hardcore tourer, but 400 miles and/or 8 hours is a fairly comfortable daily pace in my opinion. I've never done 500 miles in 5 hours, so I cannot comment on that pace :) The C to D section looks a little long time-wise, maybe move C into the upper peninsula somewhere.

Overall, looks like a great trip. Did you consider working one of the ferry crossings (Muskegon-Milwaukee and Ludington-Manitowoc) into the trip?

We plan to do this in early may...

Perhaps I am not tough enough, but isn't (cold) weather a potential concern in early May in Wisconsin and UP Michigan? I don't want to deter or discourage you, just wondering.

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I had seen 500 mile OR 5 hours but if you dont see a big deal with that pace I wont worry bout it.

And I Have thought of hitting the Manitwoc ferry back to ludington instead of dealing with that big headache chi-town. Not sure yet considering the cost and fact that it would'nt be a true blue around the lake tour haha.

And thanks for pointing out the temp in the UP. I guess I never considered it would be consideribly cooler that far north so thanks :thumbup:

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Might want to throw in a day or two extra IMHO to get off the bike from time to time or just to make up for the days that don't go right. For me I think the last 2 days would be long. I'm no hardcore either, but if I push my limit, fatigue and soreness realy get hold and compound with interest for the next days downward spiral - good thing to get a feel for before you find yourself miles from home sore, exhausted and on a tight must go time budget.

Factors like weather and gear play a big part in how far I get and how I feel, especially when camping. (A Thermarest fast and light matress rocks - there is no substitute).

+1 to the cold thing. living on the shore of the Georgian Bay, early May up here is too cold for my wimpy self to camp or ride any further than to work in the morning... I'd be heading south in early May. :D My 2c.

BTW: ADVrider - Powered by vBulletin ... rocks.

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
I definatly agree, i have really been considering throwing in a night somewhere past green bay just havent decided on it yet.

You know the area in northern Wisc? It seem prettty rural and i'm still a bit blind as to how to make sure theres gas stations within range of my fz6. Is this just a unnesaccery worry?

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you'll have any problem doing the 1200 in 4-5 days. I did this route two years ago in a day. It was a long ride, but enjoyable on the fizz. My buddy on his vulcan did not enjoy the ride quite as much...why they would put a button in the middle of a seat I have no idea. Have fun!

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
Myself and three friends did this trip last year! Our group consisted of:
Me on my FZ6
A Suzuki Gladius
A HD V-Rod
A late 70's HD touring bike of some kind.

We left Milwaukee in the late morning on a Thursday and rode south, through Chicago and up around the southern tip of the lake. We headed north and camped along the lake in the National forest just south of Manistee.

The next day we woke up to HUGE storms. So we rode into Manistee had breakfast and sat for about 2.5 hours and drank coffee and talked to locals while we waited for the storm to pass. After this we headed north again towards a second night campground, Wildness State Park, just west of Mackinaw City. Between the storms in the morning and the rain all day (which slowed us down), we didn't reach the campground until almost 9pm. This day's ride included the tunnel of tress, which is a MUST ride. Had we not been so late and had it not still been raining, we would have turned around and ridden the stretch of road again, it was that good.

The next day, we got up, had breakfast in Mackinaw City and then crossed the bridge into the UP. From here we headed west, making good time, because for the first time on the trip, it wasn't raining. We camped Saturday night in a state campground near Manistique, which was very nice. We made good time and set up camp early, so we were able to go to the gas station and grab a 6 pack of beer and relax around a camp fire for the first time on the trip.

Sunday we got up early, and rode to Marinette for breakfast. Less than 10 miles later, the older Harley died. We had to leave the rider and bike to be towed home and we continued on. We buzzed south, through Greenbay and Sheboygan and back to Milwaukee, getting back mid-afternoon on Sunday.

All said and done, we did about 1200 miles in about 4 days. If you need up schedule, this pace wasn't bad at all. Get up, ride 30 or 40 miles, stop for breakfast, ride for a tank of gas, stop for lunch, ride for a tank of gas, set up camp, get dinner.

However, some of our riders were not well prepared or had mechanical problems and the weather really set us back a lot of time, so I felt VERY rushed the whole trip, which really took some of the fun out of it for me. I would have rather had time to set up camp, relax and have a beer, maybe even cook at the camp site, but we just didn't have time.

If you are calling this a "vacation" I'd say I'd keep your planned riding days to 300 miles and less. I guess some guys like to just put down the miles like crazy and stay on the slab the whole time. I'd much rather take my time, stick to the country roads and see some sights.

Just by the math, lets say you plan on 400 miles a day. *IF* (big if) you can *AVERAGE* 60 miles per hour, that is more than 6.5 hours of riding time, just to get where you are going. I'd say, keeping a 60 miles an hour average for the day is asking a lot. You get stuck behind cars and trucks, you stop for gas, food, water, and to stretch. Weather can slow you down. The list goes on and on.

As for gas, I wouldn't worry too much. I think the worst gap I saw when were going across the UP was like 30 or 40 miles between stations. As long as you fill up every 100-120 miles, you have nothing to worry about.

For weather, we did our trip in early June (first week I think). During the day when it didn't rain, the temperature was nice; somewhere in the 50 to 60 range. It did get cool at night in, but that might have been because of all the storms. I took some under-armor (thermals) and I was comfortable at night in a 30 degree sleeping bag. If you are going in early may, there is a chance you might even see a little snow up in the UP yet.

I'm taking what I learned on this trip last year and planning a 5 day trip to the Apostle Islands this year. :) Think we are going to ride from Milwaukee to Iron Mountain, to the Apostle Islands, then down along the Mississippi until we are even with Madison and then back east to Milwaukee. I'm really looking forward to that one. :)

Here is a link to my Photo album from last year's trip. Not much to see really, there was so much rain I didn't bother taking the camera out much.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2394392&id=26708325&l=11d29c1344

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I definatly agree, i have really been considering throwing in a night somewhere past green bay just havent decided on it yet.

You know the area in northern Wisc? It seem prettty rural and i'm still a bit blind as to how to make sure theres gas stations within range of my fz6. Is this just a unnesaccery worry?

I'll dig this back out..

There's tons of gas stations throughout Northern WI and the UP.. On any semi major road, you'll find a town and a gas pump every 20 miles or less..

I did a loop around Lake Michgan and the best part was up through Escanaba to the Mack Bridge.. It's a great stretch!!

Chicago sucks. Avoid if possible..

OR!!!

Skip it and do a loop around Lake Superior!! I have memories of that loop that I'll never forget..:thumbup: