How to replace your chain

H

HavBlue

Good stuff here but I would recommend checking that front sprocket for wear if you are using the same sprockets. I like changing the chain and sprockets as a set. Thanks for sharing....

Charlie

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff here but I would recommend checking that front sprocket for wear if you are using the same sprockets. I like changing the chain and sprockets as a set. Thanks for sharing....

Charlie

That's a great idea, will make a mental note of it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Danny & J, That is a very nice piece of work indeed. I really liked the running the new chain through tip.
Hey Danny you got a great face for radio lol.
I was also under the impression that chain and sprockets should be chainged togeather. Your rear sprocket didn't look like it had hooked teeth though. Do you do your chain and sprockets at every other interval? Financially that would defo work for me.
Will the older sprockets effect the new chain ware?

Thanks again

Neil

S

sportrider

normally I would replace both sprockets at the same time. but the sprockets on the bike are still good, I replaced the chain before the rollers started to collapse and tear up the teeth on the sprockets.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
normally I would replace both sprockets at the same time. but the sprockets on the bike are still good, I replaced the chain before the rollers started to collapse and tear up the teeth on the sprockets.
Sorry to labour the point Danny, do you run OME parts or have you been using different sprockets?

S

sportrider

stock sprockets, the chain should've lasted longer than it did, but all the sand that got in it cut it's life short.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
stock sprockets, the chain should've lasted longer than it did, but all the sand that got in it cut it's life short.
Thaks Danny,
I think that I will end up in a similar situation here to. We get so much salt put down on the roads. I have to take surface rust of my cahin on a weekly basis. Its just good to know. I mean what am I gona do? Chain and sprockets or chain and buy dippers lol.

Neil

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that Danny.

Your video is now circulating in Denmark.

Glad I don`t live in your house its far too busy.

Dogs barking, mobiles, telephone...it was just like being at home with you.

Good job.

Steve

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great production guys :thumbup:
last time I changed a chain (on my old bike) I used a centre punch on the links, just to spread them slightly before hammering them flat. I did have one advantage though my mate wasn't operating the camera (so someone could hold the weight on the back) :thumbup:

Lets hear it for the production team :wav:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up danny. Glad you had better luck with the chain breaker. My chain breaker broke instead of the chain. < I think thats backwards.:(

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
If you find your sprockets are starting to turn into hooks, maybe you could turn them around? The teeth might straighten-up if they're pulled the other way?

>Just kidding.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I am going to try to replace the chain myself. The second video is gone, and I wanted to see how to use the old chain to thread the new so I don't have to remove the front sprocket cover.

Is there a chance to have that second vid reposted?

Joe

ps - I have only 6500 miles on the chain and sprockets, yet I have no more chain tension adjustment left. Is that normal?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but I am going to try to replace the chain myself. The second video is gone, and I wanted to see how to use the old chain to thread the new so I don't have to remove the front sprocket cover...

If you are going to replace the chain, why wouldn't you replace the sprockets as well? To do that you will need to remove the cover which is only 3 screws.

...I have only 6500 miles on the chain and sprockets, yet I have no more chain tension adjustment left. Is that normal?

No, that is quite excessive. Normal should be 20-30K miles. Even more reason to change both sprockets along with the chain.