My tire debate

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
OK so my Dunlop front tire has bought the farm. So it is time to replace it. However, I will only get about three months of riding in before i have to put her in storage for 13 months or so. The debate is should I go with a cheap (good) front tire for now, and replace the set when I get back. Or, should i get a great front tire now and get the rear tire when i get back. In either situation what tire would you suggest.

Thanks for your opinion and helping me narrow my search.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Continental Conti Motion...inexpensive and very good quality [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Conti-Motion-Touring-Radial/dp/B002FKR2UE]Amazon.com: Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring Radial Front Tire - 120/60ZR-17/--: Automotive[/ame]
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Conti-Motion-Touring-Radial/dp/tech-data/B002FKNN70]Amazon.com: Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring Radial Rear Tire - 180/55ZR-17/--: Automotive[/ame]

fergie.g

Lives for the ride!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market for tyres myself. I have Metzeler's Roadtech Z6's right now. I am pretty much settled on grabbing some Michelin Power Pures as I have heard apart from the superior grip, it has great mileage as well. Metzellers could be worth looking into as well though because they are a great touring tyres, thread life is exceptional in different types of riding conditions.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just replace both. Not a good idea to mix and match different tires, this way you will have the same shelf life.

You do realize that your tires do have a shelf life right? They tend to lose it's grip after a couple of years, regardless how much tread you have.

So make sure you pick up some tires that have fresh dates, not that have been sitting around the store for over a year.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just replace both. Not a good idea to mix and match different tires, this way you will have the same shelf life.

You do realize that your tires do have a shelf life right? They tend to lose it's grip after a couple of years, regardless how much tread you have.

So make sure you pick up some tires that have fresh dates, not that have been sitting around the store for over a year.
Self life is part of the reason for the debate, I don't want to kill a year of life sitting in storage, if it helps the rear tire is a Dunlop qualifier that is two years old with one season and about 60 -70 percent life left on it more than enough for three month worth of riding, but like i said front tire is done.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would just get a tire to match the rear you'll be fine for the 13 month break.....just be sure to add stabilizer to your fuel and fog your cylinders they way you would to store a jet ski that will keep your bike fresh for when you get home..... :rockon: :D [ame="http://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22001-Fogging-Oil-av/dp/B000H7CKAY"]Amazon.com: STA-BIL 22001 Fogging Oil - 12 av. oz.: Automotive[/ame] [ame="http://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22214-Fuel-Stabilizer-oz/dp/B000B68V6I"]Amazon.com: STA-BIL 22214 Fuel Stabilizer - 32 Fl oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I say replace both tyres now...but with what???

If you ride hard, and need a frilly tyre that won't let you down...go for a nice set of tyres to suit.

If you want a decent amount of miles out of your tyres, plus excellent dry and wet weather grip, you can't go past the ol' Michelin pilot road 2's...plenty of tyre for just about all situations.

Personally, I am about to try something like a set of bridgestone BT-016 pro's(new) or a set of pirelli diablo Rosso 2's(new) both supposedly very sticky, but with good life expectancy, and reasonable wet weather grip (I try to avoid riding in rain!) for my touring FZ6 for my upcoming tour of Tassie with Kazza and Humperdinckel!

Both these tyres are up to the minute in terms of tyre technology, and maybe the Michelins pilot road 2's are getting a bit left behind now that the tyre design is about 5 years old now...Michelin are about to replace this tyre anyway, with their latest and greatest sports touring tyre...

Sun Diego FZ6

rides on!
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently put on a pair of Dunlop Sportmax Q2 tires and my FZ loves them! I've put about 700 miles on them and I love having the soft compound on the sides for that reassuring grip. I can't wait til the weather really warms up to see just how sticky they can be on a canyon/mountain run. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently put on a pair of Dunlop Sportmax Q2 tires and my FZ loves them! I've put about 700 miles on them and I love having the soft compound on the sides for that reassuring grip. I can't wait til the weather really warms up to see just how sticky they can be on a canyon/mountain run. :thumbup:

The weather we've had up until this past weekend has been like Paradise! I have to look at the weekend forcast....
Ready for a ride?

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site

I have read good things about this tire and a friend has them on his bike. However, both confirm a lesser tire life. I do a lot of commuting with my bike during the week so I want something that will last a min, yet let me play in the twistiest on the weekend. In the search for the tire that has it all :)

PS. Next time PM the guy if you don't have anything that pertains to the thread. beside you will get faster response than it being berried in some thread :hijack:

Last edited: