Side Stand or Center Stand - Do they both drag?

sconley

Reaction score
Visit site
I read somewhere that the side stand actually drags first, is this true? I am considering purchasing an FZ6 but I've got thousands of track miles on other bikes throughout the years and I am concerned about dragging the side stand or center stand during even spirited street rides? Ideally, I would like to keep one stand (either the center or the sidestand, but I would prefer to keep the center stand for maintenance)... Would this be possible or is it just a bike that likes to drag hard parts? And I forgot about the stock foot pegs, do they drag easily? Lol... I'm trying to find a comfortable bike that I can ride all day but still do what I usually do, I guess it isn't going to be as easy as I first thought...

Last edited:

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, I love my FZ6!! It is fun on the track (I have done about 10 track days on it prior to getting my Triumph D675) but, it does drag some items. First, remove the center stand. The conveinence of the the center stand is wonderful but it will drag, if you have a paddock stand that is the way to go. The side will also drag don't have a good fix for that but others may. I never found it affected me much however. The stock pegs also dragged but that was easily sorted with with some $40 Competition works GP pegs. Then my toes started to drag however as I ride with the balls of my feet toward the end of the peg. So yes, some things will drag but it does not deminish the bike on the bike on track for what it is and the overall all-around capabilities of the FZ6 make it well worth it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I took my center stand off and it was easy to slip back on for working on. You only need the bolts and nuts on loose and you don't need the spring if you're just servicing the bike on the center stand.

One of the things I discovered was I was really compressing the suspension in turns. I cranked the rear shock up and it really helped a lot. Naturally, body position will help eliminate more severe angles so this could be part of your problem if you eat parts. My side stand had a nice angle ground on it's foot already and I also ground out the casting on the side stand so that the stand folded up higher on the bike and was never a problem after that. I pretty much rode that bike close to it's limits and don't have any complaints about what that bike gave back in fun and performance.
I also changed out the pegs...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your stock pegs will drag first before any of your stands. I still have both stands on my bike, plus the stock pegs. I like the peg feelers, lets me know where I'm at as far as my lean. I can't recall if any of my stands did drag.

I guess It could depend how heavy you are or how your suspension is set up too.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I was able to get anything on my FZ6 to drag was went it was skidding down the road next to me...the handlebar will drag, the mirror, the front and rear fairings, the oil cover, the pegs, the tank, part of the frame...in my recollection of repairing it the kickstand did drag but oddly enough not the center stand. So there ya go :thumbup:

sconley

Reaction score
Visit site
...That's hilarious granda, I hope you faired better, and judging by your sense of humor it sounds like you made it through alright... I also hope I don't notice similar parts dragging... I'm 200 without gear, I figured I would need springs in the front and I could just ride around the shock? I see Kelly has Hyperpros which I believe are progressively wound? Not sure if the Racetech linear rate springs get better results, but I really am interested in the FZ6 for street, commuting, light touring, and an occasional trackday... So I really don't want the comfort/versatility of the bike to suffer in an effort to make it more track worthy, as that will be <1% of the miles it sees, but I don't want to be dragging parts on spirited day rides either. Thanks everybody for their thoughts on this, seems like the worse case scenario is that a stand or feeler may have to be modified/removed, but I can deal with that... :thumbup:

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no Valentino Rossi, but I'm no slouch on a bike. I've yet to drag either stands. Pegs? Yeah.. but not a stand. I took the feelers off the pegs because dragging those all day long was starting to iritate the hell out of me.

I'd leave them on, except for track duty. I can't imagine a street bike without a center stand, let alone a side stand.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I was able to get anything on my FZ6 to drag was went it was skidding down the road next to me...the handlebar will drag, the mirror, the front and rear fairings, the oil cover, the pegs, the tank, part of the frame...in my recollection of repairing it the kickstand did drag but oddly enough not the center stand. So there ya go :thumbup:

Yep my center stand didn't drag either. Side stand, yep. The clutch lever just bent out of the way so it didn't really drag. My frame stayed off the ground too. Huh.

Tip over kill switch works too. lol.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
i took off my centre stand. side stand dragged, even my aftermarket footpeg was scrapped..

i am wondering if the side fairing will get affected? on my previous bike my 'belly pan' was badly scrapped.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only dragged the stands at the track...so I started removing them for track use. I have Rizoma rearsets so the pegs dragging is no longer an issue. I don't think I've ever dragged the sidestand on the street and I no longer have my centerstand mounted.

I'm 6'3" and very comfortable on the bike for all day spirited rides with the rearsets.

I take it you want to be able to keep up with G2G on the ABC rides? :)

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I have dragged a knee and I have dragged the feelers on the bottom of the pegs. I have not dragged my centre stand.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the peg feelers drag first, they are easily unscrewed. The the pegs will drag, so I went to R6 pegs (much better grip on them too). Then the side stand drags, so I removed it. I've had the centre stand only now for some 10 000km and it works fine and never drags.

My personal stats FYI; I'm 180lbs without my track gear, and a race shop shimed up my stock fork springs as much as they could without going coil bound, and then I lower the front about 1/2 inch for each track day.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Well side stand and stock pegs can drag, even with peg-feelers out. I took off the center stand so don't know about that. But Fastar1 makes it sound like it's a non issue.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the peg feelers drag first, they are easily unscrewed. The the pegs will drag, so I went to R6 pegs (much better grip on them too). Then the side stand drags, so I removed it. I've had the centre stand only now for some 10 000km and it works fine and never drags.

My personal stats FYI; I'm 180lbs without my track gear, and a race shop shimed up my stock fork springs as much as they could without going coil bound, and then I lower the front about 1/2 inch for each track day.

oh so the clearance for the mainstand is higher than the sidestand? hmm. contemplating if i should reinstall my mainstand, as it really makes cleaning/maintaining the bike easier.
i am about 165lbs without track gear.. and using r6r inverted forks.. so i guess shouldnt be a problem for me?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All stands should come off a bike for the track, they will drag, or worse, dig in....that's what race stands are for!

Both will scrape on the road, if your keen enough, as will pegs...unless you go for aftermarket rearsets, that are set higher...and most probably further back...

:thumbup:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
All stands should come off a bike for the track, they will drag, or worse, dig in....that's what race stands are for!

Both will scrape on the road, if your keen enough, as will pegs...unless you go for aftermarket rearsets, that are set higher...and most probably further back...

:thumbup:
i have scrapped my ottimotto rearsets until my brake pedal was bent.. race stands is not a solution for me as i ride to the tracks. :)