Mixed tires

Ingram

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2005 used about four years ago. The rear was close to needing replacing, so I ended up putting a pirelli diablo strada on the rear about 18 months ago but left the front alone because it seemed fine. I don't ride much; however, I do notice the mixed tires seem to turn/angle differently. Anyway, I was just looking for a diablo strada front to throw on and it seems they don't sell it in the US anymore. Anyone have a substitute recommendation? Regular diablo?

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Considering your rear tire is almost two years old, I would just replace both. Many people don't realize that tires do have a shelf life, and they tend to lose it's grip after two years.

Each tire will have a manufacturer date stamp, your rear tire could even be over two years old.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a K7 Suzuki off the showroom floor a few month ago. After going a little hard on the tires I could see that the rubber 'Curly Q's' I usually get on fresh tires were very dry and sort of powdery. I never saw that before. They were Michelins and they actually held good in the turns but I would not go really hard on them as they were old OEM's. I changed them out.

One of our forum members put the new Bridgestone BT-023's on and they seem to be a good tire. We rode Montezuma Valley Rd. on Saturday and he was fast on those 023's.
I'm running BT-016's but they won't last as long as the BT-023's

I'm sure you can get away with mixing but it is a rule of thumb to match your tires and I think the reasons are very valid.

Ingram

Reaction score
Visit site
Guess that's what I get for relying on Google Shopping. Yeah, I should have just gotten both when I got the rear. Thanks guys.