Rear Amber LED signal stip lighting - Rear pods

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Just finished my latest mod....

I deceided to finally go for this mod now that my Oznium LED Flex Strips arrived http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

I wanted to add some cool and original LED rear signal lighting down the underside of each of the side farrings/pods. The courage and inspiration for this mod came frome Hewhois and his wicked Red LED exhaust lighitng using the same Oznium product.

Here is what I have done so far tonight: (I will be doing a full write up here in this thread and later on my web site)

The raw materials;
x2 Oznium 9.4" Amber LED flexi strips
Some Black RTV Silicone
DSCF3223.JPG

It took quite a while and some time using AutoCAD (man it's been a while) to come up with correct hole spacing, measurements and layout. I used Fine Line (pin striping) tape to help with getting a clean line and gentle curve. I tried to keep the curve inline with the curve and shape of the plastic.
DSCF3225.JPG

I center-punched each hole location, then used a 5/16" drill bit to make small pilot holes.
DSCF3230.JPG

Then used a 1/4" drill bit for the correct size to fit the LEDs...no going back now!!
DSCF3226.JPG

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Getting the LED strips in was trickey and thank god they have some flex and play to them as my hole spacing was shall we say...a 'tad' off in places!
DSCF3228.JPG

The fit was sung and I found that using some of that metal foil ducting tape worked great to really hold the LED strips in place as they like to pop out of the holes. Once all the individual LEDs were in all the holes and secure with foil tape, I used the Black RTV silicone and put a beed all around the edges and wil let it dry over night.
DSCF3232.JPG

Here is where I left off tonight. I think I got them pretty symetrical looking.
DSCF3234.JPG

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Finshed up the wiring tonight. It turend out pretty good!

DSCF3235.JPG

GREY = Left Signal Conncector
BLACK = Right Signal Connector
DSCF3237.JPG

Spliced in Quick Disconnects

BROWN (chocolate) and GREEN wires are the 12+ VDC wires
BLACK wires are the 12- Ground

DSCF3238.JPG

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Wiring on the inside of each 'pod'
DSCF3241.JPG

I deceided to put the right side connections thru and under the seat. In retrospect I probably could have just ran these wires all the way thru to the other side by the fuse box. Oh well, no biggie.
DSCF3242.JPG

TAA-DAA!
DSCF3246.JPG

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
VIDEOS 1
These are FLASH videos I made from my digi camera as the stupid video files are like 22MB for 10 seconds!!

This first set was made outside around 8pm. Still very light out.

Video 01 - Hazzards on
Video 02 - Left signal
Video 03 - Hazzards on (front and rear side view)

VIDEOS 2

This second set will be at night, around 10 pm

Video 04
Video 05
Video 06