Overpants for Commuting

J

jeffm

I am looking for a suggestions for riding pants that will be used for commuting to work. I am thinking an over pant that can be removed when I get to the office. I have a couple of First Gear Jackets one for summer and one for colder wet weather.

Any recommendations of your experience with riding pants will be appreciated.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
i have some alpinestars cargo pants.
ive worn them over anything from only boxers to jeans with a belt and find them very comfortable. ridden with them from below 15 dergrees to about 30 so far without being too hot or cold. the cuffs unzip to just below the knee, and i can just barely slip over my size 10 boots. a full zip pant might be better for your situation though. i had planned on another pair for the hotter weather, but theyve been cool enough for me so far. the vents above the knees seem to help.
the only complaint i have is that the liner is completely free hanging inside and can be a pain when trying to pull them over boots and can get caught in the zippers.

W

wrightme43

I have three pairs.
Best for cold, cool, or wet days.
Fieldshear wind and waterproof. Great pants. Great armour.
wore them tonight to LBL and back. Left the liner out very nice not to hot or cold.

Best for warm but not hot days
Nitro textile pants.

Best for blazing hot days when I am willing to give up some abrasion resistance for some comfort.
Joe Rocket mesh pants.
not real good armour.

These are not the best available just what I have how I use them.

I also have a pair of Bohn underamour. The knee armor twists around and goes strange places.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a pair of TourMaster Venture Air Pants and their not too bad but they are a little baggy. They have hard knee protection, hip pads,removable winter and rain liner. They have long leg zippers so you don't have to take off your boots to take the pants off but I still do. Comfort is O.K. but like any textile pant, I don't think they will hold up if you go down hard. I can say this about them, they are very versatile and easy to get on and off. On a rating from 1 to 10 I'd give them a 6.

J

jeffm

Thanks I will look into these suggestions. I'll probably definately get something with the removable lining to try and get the most versatility for the $$$.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
...Best for blazing hot days when I am willing to give up some abrasion resistance for some comfort.
Joe Rocket mesh pants.
not real good armour.

I'm considering Joe Rocket Phoenix 2 Pant for our Midwest summer 90+ humidity days. How well are your constructed? What about the 'armour' do you not feel is good.

I just purchased the Phoenix 4 jacket and was thinking of Tour Master's Venture Air Pant would be good too.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
The Flex Pant looks very good. The problem, if you call it that, is that I have the Caliber Pant already. That pant is my favorite and I really should order a 2nd pair to ensure I have one if Tour Master drops the line.

Really, there are excellent choices in every brand and no excuse not to be protected. I should do a users review on both the Caliber Pant and my Transition Jacket - except for hot weather they are excellent together.

Anyone care to comment in on the Phoenix 2 Pant?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the FirstGear Tex Mesh overpants. I consider these a year-round pant because without the liner, they are cool enough for the hottest weather. With the liner, they are wind and waterproof and block nearly all the cold out. I haven't had a want for any other pant. For overpants, they are great! Full zippers up both sides on both the pant and liner. Easy on and off. I always wear full gear and I'm into all my gear in less than 5 minutes. They are $179 at New Enough. Worth every dollar!

W

wrightme43

I'm considering Joe Rocket Phoenix 2 Pant for our Midwest summer 90+ humidity days. How well are your constructed? What about the 'armour' do you not feel is good.

I just purchased the Phoenix 4 jacket and was thinking of Tour Master's Venture Air Pant would be good too.
The Rocket armour is not as good as others. It is a soft armour not C.E. the fieldsheer armour is Dual density and CE approved.