Gas Gauge

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
The owners manual says that the gas capacity is 5.1 gallons and that the last bar will start blinking when there is 0.95 gal left. I've riden twice until that last bar starts to blink. The first time I rode another 15 or so miles and filled up. It only took 3.6 gal to fill. The next time, I filled up about 2 miles after the blinking started. This time it only took 3.2 gal. I was expecting to have to put in around 4 gallons. Each time, I fill up until the pump cuts off and continue until I see gas at the bottom of the tube.

Questions:
1. Does this thing really hold 5.1 gallons (ie are they counting the airspace at the top of the tank...which never gets filled)?

2. Am I supposed to keep adding gas until I actually see gas in the tube?

3. Has anyone else actually pumped in 4 gallons just after the bar starts flashing?

The good news is that while I only got 37.5 mpg on the first tankful, the last one was up to 51.4 mpg (OK...a little more open road riding the last time).

Craig

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
1. Don't know.
2. I do. I run it to the bottom of the tube but no more.
3. I get about the same as you do when it just starts to flash,3.6 gal.

I'm getting 38 to 40 MPG on mine. Another member just brought up the same subject but had different questions. Give it a look.;)

W

wrightme43

Do you fill on the centerstand? I always do. It will hold more fuel that way.

B

Bo67

I rode 38 miles on the flashing bar once. I wanted to try it since that's about my one-way commute distance to work. If i remember right it took 4.7 gallons after that. I get 48 MPG with 90% highway riding at about 3000 ft elevation.

H

HavBlue

I always ride until the rpm goes to an odometer and generally to the 20 mile mark or just before it. At that point the bike generally takes on 4.2-4.3 gallons. I don't use the center stand unless the bike is in the garage and on the carpet as the pads are painted. I have gone 35 miles on the reserve and used 4.8 gallons.