Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Items Needed:
Allen wrench 4mm and 5mm
Phillips screwdriver
K&N air filter (YA-6004)
Time: < 15 min.

1. Using the 4mm Allen wrench remove two screws holding the side fairing. Repeat on other side.
2350374511_9207c37ca3.jpg

2. Slide off the side fairing and repeat on other side.
2351206352_413a3310a0.jpg

3. Take off the Seat
2350374637_6d297e367f.jpg

4. Using 5mm Allen wrench remove the two bolts holding the gas tank.
2351206778_d8ce5c990f.jpg

5. Slowly lift up the gas tank, making sure not to accidently disconnect the wires underneath tank. Using bungee cords and/or string secure the gas tank to back passenger handles.
2351206630_64bf18b5c5.jpg

6. With a Phillips screwdriver remove six screws from the air box.
2350373791_2678d3e89e.jpg

7. Lift up the top air box cover and remove old filter.
2351207142_ce8f49f470.jpg

8. Making sure “FRONT” faces the front of the bike slide in the new K&N air filter in the air box.
2351205990_810220b65a.jpg

9. Repeat steps 1 – 7 in reverse order.
10. Enjoy a cold one. Cheers!:iconbeer:
2350374131_9e563be64f.jpg

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the wright up, love the little guy at the end :thumbup:

Have you tried it out? what do you notice that is different?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Right after the install (but before the cold one ;-) I took it for a ride through the twisties. My observation is that it offers minimal throatier and deeper engine growls and slight increase in horse power. More importantly this filter is oiled, so that it filters better. I am happy with it. :thumbup::thumbup:

H

HavBlue

Great write up and everybody loves a happy camper........

Thanks
Charlie

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics, I am going to install my K&N and do a TBS when I put on my Two Bros carbons that came TODAY! Whoo Hoo. The Two Bros Juice Box is coming next week.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics, I am going to install my K&N and do a TBS when I put on my Two Bros carbons that came TODAY! Whoo Hoo. The Two Bros Juice Box is coming next week.

Grats on the Two Bros!
I visited a bike shop today and happened to see the two bros in action. A fellow rider on a Suzuki GSX 600 had the 2 bros installed. Two words for you: "Sick, man!"
I have not heard anything like it. They had a nice deep tone up to 4K RPMS, anything above that and they SCREAMED like beasts out of hell. They were just a bit too loud for my taste; but they rocked nevertheless.:thumbup::thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was planning to change my air filter this weekend and was considering the K&N, but didn't know what model. Well now I know.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a K&N air filter on order for my FZ6 which will complete the "make more noise, use more gas" mods :D :-
-Scorpions
-Power Commander III
-K&N air filter

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for treating me like a total idiot...when threads like this are made that is exactly what you should do.

Great pics and explanation...It needs to go into the How To box.

Thanks for this it is now on my list.

Steve

H

HavBlue

I've got a K&N air filter on order for my FZ6 which will complete the "make more noise, use more gas" mods :D :-
-Scorpions
-Power Commander III
-K&N air filter

Oh I can't wait for this one. When you install the K&N be sure to check your parameters on the PCIII as there should be some good gains available here to compliment the other mods. You may also choose to modify the inlet side of the box thus allowing even more availability in terms of air volume.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I can't wait for this one. When you install the K&N be sure to check your parameters on the PCIII as there should be some good gains available here to compliment the other mods. You may also choose to modify the inlet side of the box thus allowing even more availability in terms of air volume.

I uploaded the proper MAP to my PCIII for Scorpions and "OEM or aftermarket air filter". The uploaded MAP richens up the mixture pretty much right across the board (I compared the "standard" and "Scorpions" MAP's), so the K&N filter can only help, being a bit more "free-flow" than the OEM filter. I'm not keen to do the air box mod, as I try to stay with modifications that do not require permanent alterations of OEM parts.
All will be revealed when I do my next gas fill....I'm expecting about a 10% increase in gas consumption. However, I am upshifting sooner as the bike has more "pull" at around 4000 rpm since installing the Scorpions and PCIII.
So we'll see. :thumbup:

H

HavBlue

I uploaded the proper MAP to my PCIII for Scorpions and "OEM or aftermarket air filter". The uploaded MAP richens up the mixture pretty much right across the board (I compared the "standard" and "Scorpions" MAP's), so the K&N filter can only help, being a bit more "free-flow" than the OEM filter. I'm not keen to do the air box mod, as I try to stay with modifications that do not require permanent alterations of OEM parts.
All will be revealed when I do my next gas fill....I'm expecting about a 10% increase in gas consumption. However, I am upshifting sooner as the bike has more "pull" at around 4000 rpm since installing the Scorpions and PCIII.
So we'll see. :thumbup:

I would say you are probably pretty close in that I observed roughly the same thing when I put the new jets and K&N filter on the Sporty. I will also say that under optimum throttle angles the loss was only about 3 percent while the available performance increase was huge. I just boils down to how it is used.......

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for treating me like a total idiot...when threads like this are made that is exactly what you should do.

Great pics and explanation...It needs to go into the How To box.

Thanks for this it is now on my list.

Steve
It was not my intention to treat anyone like an idiot. I simply wanted to explain it in a way I would want something explained to me.
Couldn't be easier,great pics.Thanks

You are welcome!

I hope to continue the power mods with an eventual slip-on exhaust upgrade.:Sport:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
PLease on write ups like this it is better to pretend we all know nothing,,,,,because some of us don`t.

At least treat me like an idiot for these explanations.

Steve

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That little guy at the end is Genuine Yamaha Part Number FZ6-007. It is used for getting into tight places. Plug replacment ect lol.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Me and Numpty ordered ours today. Dlivery in 6-7 days.
I will do my head light mod then. May as well when the tank is up.

Neil

Excellent how to mate.