Bar-End Mirrors ON THE CHEAP!!

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
After having "gone naked"..i.e. removed the fairing and such I found myself REALLY needing a rearview mirror. I was scouring this and other sites for the nicest/cheapest product. Best was $50 for something that is "disposable" at best. And I never had any luck with the adjustable bar-ends...

Granted there are some really nice production mirrors. I just could not justify $150 for something that'll eventually get trashed, one way or another.

I took a ride out to PepBoys and found a 3" convex mirror which is intended to aid with driving a trailer? It has the sticky tape on the back, (actually helpful for mocking up). I was able to put some tape on the mirror(as not to crack it) and pry the mirror out of the plastic casing. I drilled a few holes through the casing and mounted the (rear reflector bracket), then replaced the mirror.

I had an old clutch control with a boss that at one time accepted a beautiful 8" tall chromed mirror. I cut that to bits leaving just a perch to mount a bracket.

I still need to find cleaner fasteners, and replace a grip as I cut it short. Eventually I intend on softening the edges, but it passed a test ride, and I can rest at ease knowing I will see when some freak comes rearing up on me at a light. (I hate neck craning at a light!)

All told I spent a whopping $2.49 , and some parts I had removed from other bikes....BONUS!!!

Custom bar-ends on a Saturday, priceless.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool! Just FYI.. I have these and they look and work great. (Got mine from US distributor for $25 shipped. Lots of different resellers on eBay carry them)

Bar End Mirrors FOR Ducati ST2 ST4 749 996 998 999 SS - eBay (item 370457272747 end time Dec-16-10 07:57:46 PST)

do they fit a our bars? what is it 7/8" bars?

these aren't convex are they?

I actually hate convex ones, you can only see people when they get close. at highway speeds with vibrations and all you can't see squat. and squinting for a minute trying to figure out whats there is just dangerous at night when you should be looking ahead of you.

edit: just read the info on em. they will fit but they are convex. damn it. so close.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
edit: just read the info on em. they will fit but they are convex. damn it. so close.

Correct.. they mount right to the bar ends (no need to use included mounting hardware) and they are convex.
It took me a few rides to get used to the huge "objects may be closer than they appear" factor, but now I love them. I can see way more than I ever could with stock mirrors. They work fine for me at highway speeds too :don'tknow:

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the DIY stuff, I've ridden with similar mirrors and the adjustment inside the bar always goes bad.

For $25 not bad, they'll prolly only ship you the pair for $50 right?

I'll take the $2.50 cent route, tyvm.

My naked conversion has cost me about $10 so far.

Keep it cheap and the money under the pillow I say.

Next is the wiring, look at that harness..:ban::(:ban:

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool! Just FYI.. I have these and they look and work great. (Got mine from US distributor for $25 shipped. Lots of different resellers on eBay carry them)

Bar End Mirrors FOR Ducati ST2 ST4 749 996 998 999 SS - eBay (item 370457272747 end time Dec-16-10 07:57:46 PST)

Wicked thread jack BTW. As I stated in THIS post I've looked at all types of crap mirrors, those included. They're not worth the time or money IMO, I MADE these BETTER for %90 less cash.

This was intended to be a "how-to" thread.

I made these for $2.49, I did not buy them on ebay

Oh and back on topic: Thanks Redback.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wicked thread jack BTW. As I stated in THIS post I've looked at all types of crap mirrors, those included. They're not worth the time or money IMO, I MADE these BETTER for %90 less cash.

Did not mean to thread-jack your how-to post. You made it sound like you couldn't find an option for less than 50 and I wanted to tell you that there WAS a very good option for $25 shipped.

How do you know the mirrors I posted "not worth the time or money"? Time = less than one minute to place the order. Money = $25.. that's ridiculously cheap compared to brand name stuff which sells for $200 and in the end performs the same function. Did you have these specific mirrors on your bike and did you find them to be expensive, crappy and time-consuming?

I'll stick to giving you a "thank you" on all your future posts instead of replying with what might be useful information to you and to others. :BLAA:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the DIY stuff, I've ridden with similar mirrors and the adjustment inside the bar always goes bad.

I have mirrors that have the same kind of mounting system as the eBay ones shown and I agree that it could be better. They seem to wiggle about if I give them a tug even when fully tightened. I would buy them again however because the look and price vs slight irritation with the mount it is still very worth it.

I wouldn't call thread hijack here...Threads are meant to spur conversation, and we are talking about mirrors which is the title of your thread. People are going to throw out all kinds of info for you and others, thats what this place is all about. BTW.. I like your mirrors, if I could mount them without cutting up the grips I would consider them as an option.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site

This was intended to be a "how-to" thread.

I made these for $2.49, I did not buy them on ebay

Oh and back on topic: Thanks Redback.

Man, what's up with the attitude? Erci, as he said, was just trying to show you there ARE low-cost options when it comes to bar-end mirrors. No need to get all crappy on him.

While I appreciate your attempt at doing things on the cheap (as I'm a cheap bastard myself), I have to say these just don't do it for me. In fact, I think they look like crap. But if you want to eff up your bike, that's your prerogative. It is, after all, YOUR bike. If you like it, that's all that matters. But I will say it does appear that you're going for the eff-ed up look with that headlight and the fracked-up wiring harness. Just MY opinion. :Flip:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have mirrors that have the same kind of mounting system as the eBay ones shown and I agree that it could be better.

Interesting.. mine are mounted directly over bar ends, so I'm not using the included mounting hardware. They've been on this whole season and have not loosened or moved once.
Oops.. hijacked again :spank:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting.. mine are mounted directly over bar ends, so I'm not using the included mounting hardware. They've been on this whole season and have not loosened or moved once.
Oops.. hijacked again :spank:

Yeah, its that internal bar mounting system that is my problem. The metal doesn't seem to spread out easily inside the bar and I have to tighten the hell out of it to make it feel OK. I may goto something like you have when these things loosen up without me knowing and go bouncing down the road. :D

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Did not mean to thread-jack your how-to post. You made it sound like you couldn't find an option for less than 50 and I wanted to tell you that there WAS a very good option for $25 shipped.

How do you know the mirrors I posted "not worth the time or money"? Time = less than one minute to place the order. Money = $25.. that's ridiculously cheap compared to brand name stuff which sells for $200 and in the end performs the same function. Did you have these specific mirrors on your bike and did you find them to be expensive, crappy and time-consuming?

I'll stick to giving you a "thank you" on all your future posts instead of replying with what might be useful information to you and to others. :BLAA:

Hey guys don't take offense, it's not intended:BLAA:

Eric, the first line of the post stated I searched. And yes, in the past 20 years I have ordered those ebay type mirrors/equivelant. They eventually wiggle out of the bar, or require -in ride adjustments. I didnt mean to insult your ebay mirrors.....

Thought by the pics that it was obvious I already had a bar end mirror.
In fact , the only way to get a single mirror was by making it.
The "very cool"----www.ebaymotors.com link to the other 1000 threads pertaining to bar end mirrors just "Jacked the Thread" IMO:cheer:

To each his own, if the purpose is to invite discussion about how to make effective mirrors for your bike, I guess we're succeeding.

If its about how to buy them....I WASN'T TRYING TO.

Stryken thanks, I bought 2 mirrors for $5 and have almost finished the second which Im going to list on ebay for $35 shipping included. Bet ya it sells quickly.:eek:

CHOWSKI: Im only 39, but that " effd up look" you refer to is known as OLDSCHOOL SON! Fine Italian exhausts and $800 healight()() reflective wheel tape does not belong on my Japanese bike.

Nice to be here, your an interesting bunch.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
That "eff'd up" look is not oldschool, it's vintage ratrod:D now spray paint it flat black, throw on some white walls and red rim stripes, don't forget some pinstriping! :rockon:

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
@ Malker get 2 sets man.

@ 4drfocus Ill take ratrod anyday. thanks you...tips hat

Heres where I used the light last.

Getting close to that look but with a bike 30 years newer.

Thanks for all the replies, onto the next project.

Anyone have a free jack?:Flip: