Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

You'll need a stick to prop up the tank. Remove seat. Remove two allen head screws at front of tank. Remove long bolt at rear of tank. Be careful because it's all loose. Pull the back of the tank upward a little. Pull tank back a little to clear faring and lift front. As you lift the front put the back of the tank back where the rear bolt goes and re-insert the bolt. Prop up the tank with a stick.
Some hang the tank with a bungee from above. Don't over pull the tank. There are fuel and vent/overflow lines attached. Reverse order to re-install and be mindful of pinching lines.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Battery access is described in the owners handbook. Remove the inner fairing panels under the mirrors. 3 screws in each I think. Then remove the screws at the front of the tank and remove the seat. The tank then hinges at the rear and you can lift up the front. You'll need a prop as Motogiro says.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just want to add one more thing.. do not tilt the tank back if it's full. The less fuel in tank the easier it is to do this. 1/2 tank is ok.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On my 07 you need to pull off the black inside pods next to the gas tank to be able to pull the tank up. Everything said above is good stuff. :thumbup:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can do it without removing the fairing.
Undo the bolts at the front of the tank then undo the bolt that goes trough the hinge at the rear or the tank.
Slide the tank back and tilt up,then slide it forward and put the bolt back in for the hinge :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can do it without removing the fairing.
Undo the bolts at the front of the tank then undo the bolt that goes trough the hinge at the rear or the tank.
Slide the tank back and tilt up,then slide it forward and put the bolt back in for the hinge :thumbup:

That's what Cliff said in 1st reply :BLAA:
I've done it both ways.. I found it easier to remove the inner pods than the rear bolt, but both ways worked just fine.

Ruggedcoast

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

You'll need a stick to prop up the tank. Remove seat. Remove two allen head screws at front of tank. Remove long bolt at rear of tank. Be careful because it's all loose. Pull the back of the tank upward a little. Pull tank back a little to clear faring and lift front. As you lift the front put the back of the tank back where the rear bolt goes and re-insert the bolt. Prop up the tank with a stick.
Some hang the tank with a bungee from above. Don't over pull the tank. There are fuel and vent/overflow lines attached. Reverse order to re-install and be mindful of pinching lines.

Took me a little figuring out, main thing is you DON'T need to take off the fairing despite what the manual says. (trying to attach photos)

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're pulling the rear bolt, you might as well pull the connections to the tank and set it on the floor or your workbench.

I set it on my workbench when I do that. But, particularly if the tank is full, I find it easier to just pull the inner panels and use the hinge. I prefer a bungee. Once it's on there good, it isn't going anywhere, even if you bump into it or something.