Sutter Buttes- Worlds smallest Mt. Range

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
So after a week of record cold, snow and power outages up here in the foothills I had to get out for a ride. Fortunately once the snow is off the roads I can ride down to the massive central valley of Ca to get away from winter.
My reason to get out of Dodge
SutterButtesnov2010003.jpg

The Sutter Buttes are an hour north of Sacramento surrounded by farm land and the Sacramento river on the west side. They rise up from the 50' elevation of the farm land to over 2,100 ' on the South Butte and close to 1900' for the North Butte. Here you can see the Buttes behind the rice silos looking to the north.
SutterButtesnov2010014.jpg

They were once active volcano's which is evident in the rock formations.
SutterButtesnov2010020.jpg

Here is a distant view from the west showing a field ready for planting a winter crop.
SutterButtesnov2010025.jpg

A quick picture of the Sacramento River in a peaceful state.
SutterButtesnov2010021.jpg

I've never seen Cotton this far north as usually it's planted a few hundred miles south of here, but I came up on these guys harvesting it. Notice the guy driving the harvester wave at me? Perhaps he is a Yamaha guy!
SutterButtesnov2010029.jpg

SutterButtesnov2010030.jpg

Be right back, have to throw a log on the fire.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh... much better.
With the temps barely above 50 I rode the FJR today. It's a rather hot bike so I ride my FZ1 in summer but the Feejeer is great for a day like today. Still looks good for an 04 with almost 72,000 miles.
SutterButtesnov2010035.jpg

This area is famous for water fowl, the ducks and geese are unbelieveable in the winter.
Note the Euclayptys tree behind the sign? Just there for our Aussie friends to feel at home.
SutterButtesnov2010033.jpg

I had to stop and chat with the longhorns.
SutterButtesnov2010039.jpg

Here is a view from the North side with some clouds working their way in.
SutterButtesnov2010041.jpg

One last look back from the east side as I ride back up the foothills of the Sierra's. More slushy stuff tomorrow so it was nice to get out.
SutterButtesnov2010054.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pictures Doug!
Don't forget to give me a Holler if you get a chance to ride down here this year. We'll get some of the local hoons together and start some kinda trouble! :D

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the report and pics Doug. :thumbup: One thing about California in the winter is that days always pop up that are perfect for riding. :D