dont bring your cellphone

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dont bring your cellphone on motorcycle trips.

from my trip to L.A........

airtime roaming charges $155

text messaging roaming charges $75

holy ****.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
You are from another country, if you were from the US and traveled in the US, you would have been fine! At least with T-mobile, AT&T and Verizon. International calls hurt the wallet!!!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Next time, stop once you're over the border and buy a 'pay as you go' phone. Call the people who need to know where you are so they have the temporary number. Then use it as you need to.

If you run out of time, 'refill' the phone.

Toss it when you are done with your trip. You can buy a phone with service for one or two months for as little as $30 USD. This is usually a $2 charge for any day you use the phone, plus 10 cents a minute or so for the length of calls you make.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Next time, stop once you're over the border and buy a 'pay as you go' phone. Call the people who need to know where you are so they have the temporary number. Then use it as you need to.

If you run out of time, 'refill' the phone.

Toss it when you are done with your trip. You can buy a phone with service for one or two months for as little as $30 USD. This is usually a $2 charge for any day you use the phone, plus 10 cents a minute or so for the length of calls you make.

I needed you to tell me this BEFORE my trip! Bah!

Ah well, that is a really good idea for next time. Damned roaming. What does that even mean? It's satelites god damn it.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

Ah well, that is a really good idea for next time. Damned roaming. What does that even mean? It's satelites god damn it.

But once you enter another country they need to move the satellite just to pick up your call. Now they've got this satellite roaming the sky just for your calls and it ain't cheap to be moving those babies around, someone has to pay for it. ;)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The satelite doesn't have to do squat. It just needs to sit there and be a fat ass useless satelite. My cell phone will find a way to link to it. The satelite is not going to move or do anything special. Not in the slightest. I tmight scratch its ass but thats about it.

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site

Um not to be a smart*ss, but unless you have an oversized phone that has to be outside with a clear and unobstructed view of the sky to work and costs hundreds of dollars a month to use, then you do not have a satellite phone. Standard (and "Smartphone") phones all operate off of radio towers. Sure you have the option of WIFI, but when your riding around and pull over to make a call your phone is using those really high towers.

Roaming costs a lot of money because your cell service carrier is using some other companies tower and transfers the call to their service tower. The company that lets you use their tower has a contract agrement with your service provider and they get a cut of your sweet sweet $$$.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Cellular phones are very short range walkie talkies.... they only reach from one tower to the next.... you are in the 'cell' defined by the towers you are in reach of. Each cell can handle hundreds of individual calls, because they are all digitally encoded. That's why the voice quality is quite bad. Think of your conversation being stripped down to the lowest possible quality MP3 and you're pretty close to how the things work.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your phone isn't using satellite unless it is specifically a satellite telephone. Satellite phones are generally used where you need a phone in remote area that doesn't have cell phone towers.

Our phones use communication towers and we pretty much need to be in Line Of Sight of the signals from these towers. Basically our phones are intermittently communicating with various towers that track where you are with regard to tower to tower. Not talking about GPS that's different.
My brother has incurred big usage bills when traveling abroad. Now he calls his phone carrier and they set up special rates when he heads out now. Much, much cheaper! Make the call to your phone co. and see what they can arrange when you need to travel. :rockon:

Last edited:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't worry about it anymore Lone. With your new rocket (I mean bike) you'll be back at home before your cellphone even knows you left! :BLAA:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you people really need to stop showcasing where i'm wrong and just agree roaming charges are bull****. haha

75 bucks for texting is lame as hell.

Last edited:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I agree partially with the Lone's original post. Don't leave the phone at home, but leave it alone, and only use it when you need it or are in your own service provider's coverage zone. This way you can still use the GPS (which will still use some data transfer unless you set it not to, in which case it has to be a dedicated GPS also), and it's there for emergencies.

And yes. Considering that someone from the company that you are roaming on, is currently roaming in your company's zone, so they should cancel out, then it doesn't cost anyone really:confused:. It is just a scam to get more money off of you and you are correct in saying that it sux 84ll$:thumbup:.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mobile phones are evil anyway, and should be ignored as much as possible...they just end up telling you that you should be doing something else, other than riding...

International roaming is a scam...price wise!

:thumbup: