Crud In Original Factory Break-in Oil:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Those of you that got your bikes new and are do it yourselfers, (or you saw what came out of your bike when the dealer changed your break-in oil):
On your first oil change was it vile?
On my first oil change it seemed to have some gray matter (liquid) in it.
(I changed it the first time at 600 miles)
The second time it only had a little "gray" in it. Since then it's just the color of oil.
Anyone else see this in their oil?

I guessed this was either grease off internal engine parts (like bearings) that was there before assembly and/or possibly some new clutch facing material initially wearing off.

sleepymas

Reaction score
Visit site
nothing to worry about all motors do that, its called break in for a reason. everything wears along with pieces it mates with so there is a perfect fit. you will get little metal shavings from this process. they say to change oil early when new for this exact reason, you want that stuff out of the oil asap. just think of it like sprockets, you replace them as a pair since they have a wear patteren. engines do also, so when you rebuild an engine everything is supposed to go back in same spot. you also hone the cylinders so the new rings can seat to a rough wall not a smooth one, otherwise the engine will burn oil or lack compression. just change oil early as it seems you did and the engine will be just fine. :thumbup:

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats normal, oil is cheap, change it often when it comes to a break in. You only get one chance to break in your new motor. Then switch to a better grade oil. The opinion on what to change to is as varied as there are oils out there. For me I'm a Amsoil man, some are Rotella others are Mobil one and so on.

Good Luck

Doc

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine came out clean - the grey might have been moly-lube. That's typical for breakin. If its coming out clean now, I'd say you're fine. Your engine might have been "tighter" than others from the factory and wore a little more metal to make things fit. That's what the rings are for.

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
I also cut open the first filter and there was a bit more metal bits than I had expected trapped in it + if you looked at the oil in the sunlight it really looked metalic in the drain pan. Concernd me enough that I bought a magnetic drain plug. I still do get a small amount of really fine stuff stuck to the magnet (25000kms) that I blame on normal gear and clutch wear, but nothing that I am concerned of now. I agree, looking at what came out the first two oil changes - a bit creepy, but it seems to calm down later.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine came out clean - the grey might have been moly-lube. That's typical for breakin. If its coming out clean now, I'd say you're fine. Your engine might have been "tighter" than others from the factory and wore a little more metal to make things fit. That's what the rings are for.

I have used Moly-Kote on several occasions and I think that you are exactly right! I figured they must have used this during assembly on some parts, or maybe during storage on some parts before they built this engine. Thanks.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I also cut open the first filter and there was a bit more metal bits than I had expected trapped in it + if you looked at the oil in the sunlight it really looked metalic in the drain pan. Concernd me enough that I bought a magnetic drain plug. I still do get a small amount of really fine stuff stuck to the magnet (25000kms) that I blame on normal gear and clutch wear, but nothing that I am concerned of now. I agree, looking at what came out the first two oil changes - a bit creepy, but it seems to calm down later.

Thanks for your reply. I agre with everything you said. My car, (as well as my daughter's car), both have magnetic drain plugs and they always have a "smear" of dirty metal on them, though it seems to be as fine as frog hair. (Nothing like the first time or two that I changed oil in them though!!!!) May I ask where you bought a magnetic drain plug for your bike?

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was these guys: Automotive Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs Car Truck Ford Chevy Nissan Toyota Honda Plug. Really strong magnet. Not sure if thats a good thing as it may be strong enough to magnetize moving ferrious parts in its surroundings... Local auto parts stores and some shops usuialy have a tray of them around with weaker magnets (just strong enough to hold debris), might be better IMHO. :thumbup: