Brake line change FZ6 ABS CAN u do it yourself

richardv

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there, I'm new on this Forum and living in Holland. Since 2007 riding FZ6 and love it. 1 month ago I bought a 2007 s2 ABS model. Changed it for a 2005 non ABS model. I got a real nice bike with some mods on it which I will later on post in an other thread. Will be posting some nice pics. You might like some of it! (I'm sure!)

But here is the thing. I do mostly all the things on my bike myself (like a real dutchman saving bucks :)))) .

I want to change the original brake lines for Galfer lines. The replacing is easy but..... then you have bleed the lines. Couldnt find any thread in the forum so thats why I post this one. Can this be done by myself or not? And if so, Does it works like bleeding on a normal bike without ABS? Someone out there with experiance?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:richardv !!!! This is a great forum with great people. Enjoy!
The brake work will be treated the same.

With the ABS. If you notice, there will be a sensor and a little slotted ring attached to the brake rotors. The sensor sends a signal to a CPU that calculates whether or not the front and rear are turning at the same rate. If one wheel is turning slower the logic is that one wheel is locking and it operates a release valve that reduces the fluid pressure on the locking wheel....In a car you'll notice a very quick vibration in the pedal when this happens.

Last edited:

richardv

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you. So as I understand, the brake bleeding is the same. I have been reading some about it where they say its more difficult to get the air out of the lines because of the ABS system. You know if this is true? Or is it 100% the same as doing it on a non ABS system?

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not tried to bleed the Yamaha ABS, but on the Suzuki system fitted to the big Bandit that was very difficult to do.

There is a section in the service manual about bleeding the ABS.

Last edited:

seb101

Reaction score
Visit site
hey richardv, i've asked the same question like a month ago with no answers. "Hel" has a brake lines kit for FZ6 S2 ABS, it costs twice as much beacuse of more brake lines (notice that the brake line goes firstly to the abs pump/sensor and then from there to the calipers). I've found different information about bleeding ABS brakes on motorcycles and i couldn't come up with the conformation i needed. I've also stompted on opinions that changing brake lines on a bike with ABS system won't change that much when it comes do to the "feeling" of the brakes. If i remmember right in the manual of fz6s2 abs it just says that you should bleed ABS brakes the same way as normal, i would rather do reverse brake bleeding.
If you go on with chaning the brake lines let me know how it went and if it gained on brake feel.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Brake feel will be different when compared to new steel lines especially in harsh use and in hot weather where OEM hoses tend to expand.
ABS shouldn't affect whether you go with steel braid lines. ABS has to do with a CPU calculating ratio between the front and back wheel and modulating brake pressure when it senses one wheel turning slower.

Bleeding the system should be specific to the bike. For example: If someone says, they changed the brake lines on a 2007 Honda VFR and it was a lot of work, they're talking about a different brake system.

Still it is a good question because you might ask, where is the valve that modulates the pressure and if you change out the brake lines and could you introduce air to a place it would be hard to get the air out?

richardv

Reaction score
Visit site
Still didnt get arround to het them changed. First off all for me it would be more as a cosmetic thing. Second.. the Galfer lines are pretty well priced. Costs less then HELL lines. But.. also I read a thread where the Glafer lines didnt quite get a good reading. They rusted very fast...

Last, I also didnt get a good answer about the bleeding. Need to do this myself so... Read some about letting the engine run while bleeding. but... So, I leave the lines for a while. (But still I would love to change them to others).

seb101

Reaction score
Visit site
The ABS pump (for both system front/back) is located below tank/frame (near the seat) part from what i remmember when i was looking at it, so it's pretty high and there is a chance you might get air into it and bleeding it might be difficult as i didn't see any bleeders around it. The circuits front/rear are probably independent but they are stuffed inside one box.
I can feel the brake lever a little bit spongie and it's probably do to the oem brake lines, froum curiosity i'll have to ask yamaha dealer how much does the oem kit cost (they say you should replace brake lines after 4-5yrs?)

richardv

Reaction score
Visit site
Because of poor reviews about Galfer brakelines I didnt bought them (yet). In a other thread they say those get corrosed very fast. In other words. Th e quality seposed to be poor. Still looking around. But the Galfer lines are very nicely priced.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Because of poor reviews about Galfer brakelines I didnt bought them (yet). In a other thread they say those get corrosed very fast. In other words. Th e quality seposed to be poor. Still looking around. But the Galfer lines are very nicely priced.

The bad reviews exist for a reason....do yourself a favour, and go for Goodridge, or Fren Turbo braided lines...both as good as it gets.... and you get what you pay for in this case...quality that does not go away....i have a TRX 850 in my shed with 12 year old Goodridge braided lines on it....and the bike has never been garaged, and there is zero rust, corrosion, etc, etc...they work, and look pretty much like they did when they were new.

Galfer lines by all accounts tend to start to corrode after a few months!

:thumbup: