Filter:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the oil in my bike for the third time since I got it new. I had been keeping Yamaha filters on it, though their $14.00+ price/filter is a little nuts IMO.
I had one more Yamaha filter, one Fram, and one Super Tech (Walmart) filter in my future arsenal. I was going to use them up in that order.
Well in a moment of "spatial type of deprivity or mental absence" I obviously put the Fram filter on instead of my last new Yamaha filter. (They're both black and almost identical out of the box - though both were in their respective boxes, in my defense both boxes DO have orange on them. Did I mention that I am slightly color-challenged?)
Anyway, the Fram seems to be doing a fine job and if anything the bike seems to pump up oil pressure instantly.
Trust me, I've read all of the reviews, reports, studies, and opinions on car and bike filters, but I just wondered if anyone else out there uses Fram filters on their Fazer and has any personal experience with them, good or bad?
I do plan to use the Super Tech in the near future since everything I've read about them seems to say that they are a very high quality filter (USA version), not to mention their most economical price.
Just wanting to pick the brains of my very knowledgeable friends out there. Thanks.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used Fram a couple of times and didn't notice a problem. Now I use K&N but only because of that hex nut on the top that makes it easier to get off.

I did see an "analysis" of the anatomy of a Fram online once that made the construction look bad, but there was absolutely no science in it - just a cut apart Fram filter and some speculation.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been sticking with the Purolator Pure One for some years on a variety of engines, after I did review a number of supposedly scientific reviews on construction, filter material and amount, contaminant pass-through specs, etc, and weighing price/performance. The Pure One, the Mobil, and K&Ns fared well in different reviews, and I get the PL14610 for my '04 for about 5 bucks. I assume the '09 takes the same, but check me on that.

I've had Frams leak from shoddy seams (not on my FZ), have had no problems with the Purolator. There are a huge number of oil and filter threads here and elsewhere, read a few and go with what you prefer.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I go cheap with the Walmart SuperTech! :thumbup:

$2.84 + tax

I have a buddy who used a FRAM on his R6 and it burst, so I haven't been too keen on trying that one.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
YEOUCH! Well, this will be my last one then.
I have read nothing but good about the Super Techs. (If you can get a superior filter for 1/8 the price, why not?)
Thanks.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
YEOUCH! Well, this will be my last one then.
I have read nothing but good about the Super Techs. (If you can get a superior filter for 1/8 the price, why not?)
Thanks.

Maybe FRAM had a bad batch. It burst at the seam. Your milage may vary :thumbup:

03zq8

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any data on how the filter burst? The burst pressure of a Fram PH6017A is over 300 psi. Did the actualy can seperate, or did the gasket blow out?

If your buddy still has the filter, I'll pay to have it sent to me and I'll send you some product in exchange for your time... PM me if interested.

FWIW, I've run the 6017A on my FZ6 for ~31k miles, and the 6018 on my track bike for 7k track miles... I know of a few AMA racers even running the 6018's...

EDIT: Sorry, just seen your reply saying that it burst at the seam. Again, can you see if he still has it? I've never seen this happen other than the burst stand (bench test measuring burst pressure). I'd like to analyze the failure.

Last edited:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any data on how the filter burst? The burst pressure of a Fram PH6017A is over 300 psi. Did the actualy can seperate, or did the gasket blow out?

If your buddy still has the filter, I'll pay to have it sent to me and I'll send you some product in exchange for your time... PM me if interested.

FWIW, I've run the 6017A on my FZ6 for ~31k miles, and the 6018 on my track bike for 7k track miles... I know of a few AMA racers even running the 6018's...

EDIT: Sorry, just seen your reply saying that it burst at the seam. Again, can you see if he still has it? I've never seen this happen other than the burst stand (bench test measuring burst pressure). I'd like to analyze the failure.

This was 3-4 years ago, and I was incorrect that it was an R6, it was an RC51. Unfortunately there is no evidence left. I don't have much of an opinion on FRAM except that they work fine on my car! :) I can ask him for more info when I can get a hold of him.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I used Fram a couple of times and didn't notice a problem. Now I use K&N but only because of that hex nut on the top that makes it easier to get off.

I did see an "analysis" of the anatomy of a Fram online once that made the construction look bad, but there was absolutely no science in it - just a cut apart Fram filter and some speculation.

Yeah, I saw that too. Perhaps that is why I felt a little insecure about using it, though to date all seems well.
I understand what you mean about the little nut they tack to the bottom of the K&N filter. Thanks for your feedback!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I go cheap with the Walmart SuperTech! :thumbup:

$2.84 + tax

I have a buddy who used a FRAM on his R6 and it burst, so I haven't been too keen on trying that one.

Good to know about the Super Tech filters. From what I've read in tests they are VERY high quality filters. Does the slightly longer length matter at all?
Thanks!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
you mean we're supposed to change the oil filter? Mine still looks fine. But, if we are supposed to, I'd go with the Super TECH ST7317, available at Walmart.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my oil for the first time and bought the Fram filter. I only felt bad when I realized the filter I removed was a K&N :spank:

I agree on how easy it is to work with the K&N filter, I think next time I'll spring for it. :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Another Purolator Pure One fan.

I have used them exclusively on my cars and on the FZ6. it's $5-6 at autoparts stores and has an anti-drainback valve and synthetic element which is much better at high pressure/heat than a paper element (like Fram). for a few pennies more, get the Pure One.