Close call

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I am really struggling with this. I made a mistake last evening that could have cost me big time and it would have been my fault. I keep microanalyzing and all I can
come up with is I am a total idiot.

Last evening, I thought I would take a ride after work down to the ocean beaches. Traffic is hellish at 5pm but I figured what the heck the sun is out and is nice temp why not go for it.

After braving traffic to get to the expressway I needed to pickup the parkway heading west to futher connect with another parkway going south.

I was on the expressway and as I approached the entrance to the parkway there had to be 40 cars backed up waiting in the entrance lane. Being a motorcyclist and being, ummm, kinda impatient, there was no way I was getting at the end of that long line of cars so I proceeded to look for an opening. I found a nice space of say 30 feet and moved into the lane. I wasn't expecting the car in front to stop short, which wasn't the worst of it. I had not gotten immediately in back of his bumper, so I had a buffer, and I did an almost stoppie to avoid collision.

Now comes my F up. Thinking I don't want to be in back of a guy who almost caused me to rear end him let me get the hell outta here. and I did. I hopped out of the lane and almost got run over in the process. I stuggle with my stupidity for making such a knee jerk reaction that could have gotten me hurt. It all happened very fast. I am happy with my reaction time to avoid hiting the guy in fronf of me but am besides myself for moving out of the lane. There was no time to think. My instinct really needs tuning as I may not get another free pass again.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I am really struggling with this. I made a mistake last evening that could have cost me big time and it would have been my fault. I keep microanalyzing and all I can
come up with is I am a total idiot.

Last evening, I thought I would take a ride after work down to the ocean beaches. Traffic is hellish at 5pm but I figured what the heck the sun is out and is nice temp why not go for it.

After braving traffic to get to the expressway I needed to pickup the parkway heading west to futher connect with another parkway going south.

I was on the expressway and as I approached the entrance to the parkway there had to be 40 cars backed up waiting in the entrance lane. Being a motorcyclist and being, ummm, kinda impatient, there was no way I was getting at the end of that long line of cars so I proceeded to look for an opening. I found a nice space of say 30 feet and moved into the lane. I wasn't expecting the car in front to stop short, which wasn't the worst of it. I had not gotten immediately in back of his bumper, so I had a buffer, and I did an almost stoppie to avoid collision.

Now comes my F up. Thinking I don't want to be in back of a guy who almost caused me to rear end him let me get the hell outta here. and I did. I hopped out of the lane and almost got run over in the process. I stuggle with my stupidity for making such a knee jerk reaction that could have gotten me hurt. It all happened very fast. I am happy with my reaction time to avoid hiting the guy in fronf of me but am besides myself for moving out of the lane. There was no time to think. My instinct really needs tuning as I may not get another free pass again.
Fair play for posting up. We all give ourselvs a kick in the ar5e now and again. Don't beat yourself up about it. The best things about your incident are:

A) Your alive to post (Brilliant)
B) You know what you did wrong.
C) You won't ever and I mean ever, pull out of your lane without looking again.
D) Most 30C non bio's will have your jocks looking great in one cycle.

Cheers mate

Nelly

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, I'm glad you came out of it unscathed.

Secondly, we all (or at least I have) done something incredibly stupid and dangerous in our/my riding careers. I know less than a month ago I made a really bad split second decision which I still shudder at when I think of it. The important thing is to learn a valuable lesson from your mistake and never do it again. I know I won't make the same mistake again! :spank:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear it was just a close call, and we are not reading about an accident.
The most important thing is that you didnt just brush it off as a small issue and moved on with your life. Kudos for being thorough enough to analyze what happened. That tells me that you will try not to repeat the same mistake.
We all have done things in the past that make us wonder "WTF was i thinking?", but it's important to take a lesson out of those things.

Cheers,

TS

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have those too occasionally. I wish I didn't, but I do. Most of the time it's out of impatience or even anger that I do something without considering the consequences. I don't dwell on it, but like Nelly said use it as a learning experience to never do it again.

Glad it turned out okay and thanks for posting!

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
"That which does not kill you only serves to make you stronger"....and safer. Way to man up about it so others will be reminded about the inherent danger of 2 wheels. :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
D) Most 30C non bio's will have your jocks looking great in one cycle.

Nelly

Thanks all for the quick responses. Indeed a lesson learned. Got it on my agenda to take the advanced MSF class as well.

Nelly, what in the world do you mean by D) above?? baffled!!

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful out there, especially with the cabs going to the JFK.
Have you visit Montauk Point? Next nice weather day go all the way there, take some nice food with you and if you have a loved one take her/him. There is a nice light house and a big park “Suffolk County Parkland. You can park your bike and relax for hours getting the nice breeze from the ocean.
Where in NYC are you? I’m on Greenwood Heights 21st and 5th Ave

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the quick responses. Indeed a lesson learned. Got it on my agenda to take the advanced MSF class as well.

Nelly, what in the world do you mean by D) above?? baffled!!
Sorry mate,

Its my English humor,

What I meant was, Most non biological washing powders (which are kinder on sensitive skin). Will remove almost all stains (including what might have resulted from your near death experience) at the new lower and greener washing temperature of 30 degrees C.

I hope this explanation clears up the matter as well as the above mentioned non-bio.

Nelly

[edit] I assume Jocks is a universal word but just in case jocks = underwear.

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful out there, especially with the cabs going to the JFK.
Have you visit Montauk Point? Next nice weather day go all the way there, take some nice food with you and if you have a loved one take her/him. There is a nice light house and a big park “Suffolk County Parkland. You can park your bike and relax for hours getting the nice breeze from the ocean.
Where in NYC are you? I’m on Greenwood Heights 21st and 5th Ave

Located in Nassau county. Been out to suffolk county a bunch of times but never made it as far east as montauk. I ride quite a bit with S.D Willie on this forum. If you are ever out this way we should all hook up and ride.