Touring Screen for the FZ6

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
We are planning a 3,500 mile vacation at the end of July that will snake us across the Western US. To make the riding more comfortable, Sherri wanted a windshield that would keep the airstream off of her body so that she can relax more.

We worked with a local windscreen builder California Scientific:

http://www.calsci.com/

Here was the bike before...and I'm sure you are used to the '07 by now:
DSC08976.jpg

Here it is with the new screen:
DSC09175.jpg

DSC09177.jpg

DSC09136.jpg

How does it work? Fantasticly! Mark of CalSci put this screen together in short order and while what is on our bike is one of the early prototypes, we didn't want to give it back to him. It keeps the airstream off the body so long distance riding can be done with less fatigue, in comfort, and still, I think the look of the bike is still that of a sporty, fun bike. It doesn't seem to have the barn door look of many aftermarket screens, but is sure works for the touring minded which is better than the effect of the aftermarket screens that look great, but lack in performance.

If you want to do some miles, or just want to be more comfortable, extend your season into colder temperatures or whatever, I recommend CalSci!

Last edited:

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 Tall Screens

I noticed that the company on the link did not list '04-'06 models. I found a company out of Florida that makes them any height you wish. You can find them at this link;

Gustafsson Plastics

I have set up my '06 FZ6 to be a commuter touring bike and added one of their 6" + screens and a Laminar lip to top it off since I commute 5 days a week. Works great! The wind blockage gives the appearance of going slower since you're not beat up as much by the wind. I also added a Corbin seat and Power Bronz lowers to keep the rain off my legs since I ride rain or shine. The seat also makes a huge difference on longer rides and I feel safer with my kids on back with a back rest.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have set up my '06 FZ6 to be a commuter touring bike and added one of their 6" + screens and a Laminar lip to top it off since I commute 5 days a week. Works great!

OK bike10 --- let's see a picture of you setup

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Orange, your pics didn't come thru, at least on my computer.

I'd be interested in seeing them, as I've recently installed the Yamaha tall windshield and it improved things, but not a lot (I'm 6'5" which may be part of the problem).

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Touring FZ6

I hope these download (see attachments).

I purchased the Power Bronz lowers from "Superbike Store LLC". You can find them on Ebay or go directly to their website. David is the owner (I think) and gave great customer service. he suggested I get my paint from "colorrite.com". I ordered the correct color in aerosol cans and clear coat as well. The order came two days later. Great service!

The color won't come out right if you don't put a clear coat on it. it looks like the wrong color untill you lay down the clear. I used the left over paint to spray the front half of thr front fender as well. I plan on doing the same for the lower half of the wind screen too.

I think Power Bronz did a great job at finishing what the Yamaha Engineers started. I did not like the TCP lowers from what I saw, but I did like the Power Bronz pictures. Now that I have these painted & installed I couldn't be happier.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pics came thru ok now this morning. :thumbup: That windshield is a bit taller than the Yamaha item I have.

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Wind Screen Height

it really is tall! it looked even taller when i didn't have lowers. it does make a big difference when riding. i don't feel the speed as much since i'm out of the wind. when i duck below the top, it is so quiet.

i don't like the quality of the fit at all!!!!! i had to modify and then add screws to hold the shape. i wouldn't recommend unless you really want the height.

i plan on cutting the original Yamaha screen, painting it blue and then mounting to the bike to appear as fairing and then cut that tinted screen to resemble an 07 shape and then mount. this way i can have the same venting as the '07 and have a painted front like it should have had.

i will take pictures & post when done.

cancervero

Reaction score
Visit site
Note about windscreen mods

To all of you with windscreen mods, you might want to make sure that you use at least plastic screws to attach your windscreen to the bike, a friend of mine went down on his FZ1 and the windscreen didn't detach from the bike when he fell and the screen shattered into sharp edges cutting through his leather jacket , skin and muscle...leaving him with a wide open cut, had to go to ER.

Make sure that you use DOT approved or Europe approved or at least the plastic screws that pop off when you go down.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure that you use DOT approved or Europe approved or at least the plastic screws that pop off when you go down.

Sorry to hear about your mate I hope he's healing up OK.

Thanks for the tip, I'd never realised why they used those things (plastic screws) and it could come in very handy as I am looking around for a new windshield myself.

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta love that movie (regarding your signature)!! I loved the mall scene! And Carrie Fisher's character!

Status
Not open for further replies.