fz6 engine problem - amber light

led4ever

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have got a very strange problem with my FZ6 - when the engine temperature reaches 4 "bars" the amber engine trouble light turns on. I took my bike to a yamaha garage last week but they could not tell me what's wrong with it. The bike has been regularly serviced and has got 10.000 miles on the clock.

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance

Michael
FZ6 '2005

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like to me that its a cooling problem. Might I suggest a coolent flush. May I also suggest looking into a new mechanic. they should have tech manuals or a diagnostic computer that will tell them whats wrong.

H

HavBlue

For you folks that have been around electronic control modules since 1996 when we came out with OBDII you'll know that systems work with parameters both plus and minus. As long as we remain within the high and low of the respective parameter we're good. In this case we'll know nothing until the ECU gets downloaded and we find out what it has to say as DI has mentioned above. It wouldn't appear to be running hot as the thermograph on the cluster is only indicating 4 bars but this doesn't mean it is telling the truth although there was no mention of it spitting anything out.

Much like DI and Reiobard have said, I want to know what Mr. ECU has to say and then we'll have something to work with. Can you pull the codes for us?

led4ever

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

thanks for your replies - as advised I have checked the code and is displays 46:

Fault Code: 46
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: Power supply to the FI system is not normal.

Probable cause of malfunction:
Malfunction in "CHARGING SYSTEM".

have you ever had it on your bikes?

thanks
michael
FZ6 '05

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Checking the charging system is easy enough, just put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and see what the output is at idle and at 4000RPM.

If that checks out OK, then it might be time to find a better Yamaha dealer with better mechanics, because you've got an oddball problem.

Fred