Threads about oil

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All:

I know that threads about oil can get people riled up here. However, I think oil discussions are important. They give us a way to make our own decisions about what oil to use and learn more about our bikes in general.

So, how about we create a dedicated sub-forum strictly for oil discussions, much like the tire tech sub-forum? That way members who do not want to have oil threads littering the other sub-forums, they can skip the discussions all together?

Just my 2¢ :thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really agree. If there were actual information or data to trade that would be one thing, but oil threads are mostly just a matter of opinion. Whether to use synthetic, dinosaur, or blend comes down to preference, right? Two useful things I've heard regarding oil:

1. Stay away from oils with friction modifiers
2. Fresh oil makes the bike appear to shift smoother.

Aside from that I have heard of people getting many happy miles out of their FZ no matter what oil they use. So do we really need a dedicated forum?

Oh, one final thought: if you don't use synthetic you're stupid.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
It would be interested to see what oil are people running on their FZ6. And how often they change it. I will be doing my oil change at 10k in the next few days i am not sure what to use yet. Will be doing some research on it in a couple of days. What do you guys think of changing your oil filter every other oil change?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't really agree. If there were actual information or data to trade that would be one thing, but oil threads are mostly just a matter of opinion. Whether to use synthetic, dinosaur, or blend comes down to preference, right? Two useful things I've heard regarding oil:

1. Stay away from oils with friction modifiers
2. Fresh oil makes the bike appear to shift smoother.

Aside from that I have heard of people getting many happy miles out of their FZ no matter what oil they use. So do we really need a dedicated forum?

Oh, one final thought: if you don't use synthetic you're stupid.
I'm with Travis on this. Common sense on a common topic.
Just to add on more thing useful.
One of the funniest threads, is Lonesoilders oil changing thread.
Nelly

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
there is a reason synthetic is more expensive, and there is a reason people change their oil filter at every change , im using semi synthetic motul right now
it performing way better then the yama lube regular oil. go figure its twice as expensive, you can pick up 4t mobil1 full synthetic cheap @ walmart ,
dont cheap out on oil , and change your filter every time .
synthetic oil will give you probably 1 - 2 Horsepower ;)
see your dealer and ask which synthetic you can use in your bike, 10w40 is what sportbikes use , 15w50 is good in real hot climates ,
blah blah blah ,
yes theres alot to talk about ,
bottom line is
best oils are : mobil 1 , motul , repsol , amsoil , royal purple, 100% synthetic
(all the reputable brands)
now if you dont EVER ride your bike hard , you're good with regular oil or semi synthetic

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motul 7100 = THE BEST :thumbup: End of discussion :D :popcorn:

Eeeew! You use 7100? You smell bad and aren't as good lookin' as I am then. Oh hang on. so do I. You are a beautiful man and you smell flowery and pretty like me.

The point here is that there is no need for an oil thread to get nasty. Lol. Almost as stupid as getting angry 'cause someone has a different favourite colour to you.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It would be interested to see what oil are people running on their FZ6. And how often they change it. I will be doing my oil change at 10k in the next few days i am not sure what to use yet. Will be doing some research on it in a couple of days. What do you guys think of changing your oil filter every other oil change?

I use Rotella T synthetic and K&N filter. I change both every 3k miles or so. 25k miles and still sings like a well-tuned instrument.

I buy Rotella because it's cheap and doesn't have friction modifiers. I buy K&N because it has a little hex bolt at the top that makes it super easy to remove. I change both at 3k because I haven't found a good reason not to. The cost of doing that isn't prohibitively high.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All:

I know that threads about oil can get people riled up here. However, I think oil discussions are important. They give us a way to make our own decisions about what oil to use and learn more about our bikes in general.

So, how about we create a dedicated sub-forum strictly for oil discussions, much like the tire tech sub-forum? That way members who do not want to have oil threads littering the other sub-forums, they can skip the discussions all together?

Just my 2¢ :thumbup:

Great idea.... Done.... Now who wants to move all the oil threads LOL and.............. Who will moderate it..... Hmmmmmm hint hint

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Eeeew! You use 7100? You smell bad and aren't as good lookin' as I am then. Oh hang on. so do I. You are a beautiful man and you smell flowery and pretty like me.

The point here is that there is no need for an oil thread to get nasty. Lol. Almost as stupid as getting angry 'cause someone has a different favourite colour to you.

:rof: :rof: :eek: I think im having a Sally Field moment YOU LIKE ME , YOU REALLY REALLY LIKE ME :BLAA:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bzU77zGDlI&feature=related]YouTube - Sally Field winning Best Actress for "Norma Rae"[/ame]

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
My short experience with FZ6 and oils is as follows: The bike had Yamalube 4-FS when I bought the bike and the oil was only driven for 1500km. The bike had 11000km then. Changing the gear from first to second was a bit clunky and led to neutral sometimes if I didn't pull the lever up hard enough. You would think that the 4-FS is the best oil for the bike if you listened to Yamaha.

Five thousand km after the previous change, at 15tkm in the clock, I changed to my trusted oil brand, Motul and their 5100 10W-40. The gear change from 1st to 2nd is noticeably smoother now and needs less effort from left foot. The same can be said about the other gears as well, but they were smooth enough with the old oil anyway.

Last edited: