Basic Set-Up for a Track Day

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to get myself booked for a newcomers track day early next year and want some advice on basic set up for the FZ6. pls chaps.

Basically, its a newcomers, i.e. never been on track before, thing so i dont need slicks or anything, but some simple tips would be handy.

Heavier weight fork oil? The bike dives bad enough on the street so on track it cud be scary. Rear preload to max?
Tyre pressures?
Removing centre stand etc?

Cant justify buying new tyres so my BT021's will have to suffice.

Will do the newbies track day and see how i feel, then might pimp the fazer more to suit or buy a dedicated track bike (tho at my budget they will be 12 to 15 year old bikes most likely so debatable whether or not they will be quicker)

Cheers,
Dave

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
yup the front fork really dives alot, i changed to ohlins front fork springs before i went for track.
rear suspension was ohlins, tuned by the mechanic who fitted it for me.
centre stand must be removed.
i even scrapped my aftermarket rearsets brake lever.. not sure what's my next step, but i emailed the manufacturer, they replied said it shouldnt be the case.
i used pirelli dragon supercorsa on tracks. the grip is marvelous. used bt-021 on my 400cc before, but not on the track.

for tyre pressure, i used 31 front 30 rear.

attached a photo of the damaged rearsets as well as tyre wear although that pic was not very clear.