Chemiker's 2010 Yosemite Trip

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some friends and I went on a Yosemite camping adventure this last weekend. We did our research and mapped it such that we hit one awesome motorcycle road after another (for the most part). Here is a map: Yosemite Adventure

Day 1

Lefty was with us for the first day, to point E on the map. Again, really fun riding with him, John is a great guy and a great rider.

DSCF5195.jpg

Overlooking the bay area from Mount Hamilton. You can see the valley is covered in fog. The first several miles of our trip were wet and foggy, but then when we gained altitude, we found ourselves above it all, dry and warm, with great roads ahead of us.

DSCF5200.jpg

Stopping to take a drink and get our bearings on HWY 130

DSCF5201.jpg

Lefty's bike during a stop after The Little Dragon

DSCF5202.jpg

Day 2

We stayed at my in-laws' cabin near point E on the map. This is us packing up for the next leg and camping in Yosemite.

DSCF5220.jpg

The very first road we took, Ward's Ferry, was originally just a way to get from the cabin to our first planned road, but it turned out to be an unexpected gem! Very nice for a goat trail, all but deserted, fun, and amazing views. There is a bridge in the middle with this view.

WardsFerryPano.jpg

DSCF5226.jpg

DSCF5227.jpg

Apparently the bridge is a party spot. I felt a bond with a fellow Suicidal Tendencies fan who had been here.

DSCF5229.jpg

After some great roads, we ate lunch here at Cherry Lake, point G on the map

CherryLakePano.jpg

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On to Yosemite. We made our way to Glacier Point, where you can see much of Yosemite Valley. It never ceases to impress me how enormous this place is.

YosemitePano.jpg

Half Dome

DSCF5238.jpg

Splurged on a tent cabin, so no, we weren't "really" camping...

DSCF5245.jpg

Day 3 - cut short due to technical difficulties :( Our wives and kids drove up and stayed at the cabin this whole time. Van issues caused us to skip our planned Sunday jaunt and head back to take care of business.

Day 4

More great roads on the way home. Here are a couple of Mines Road. Didn't take many pictures of roads, but a large percentage of the roads we rode this trip looked like this. Just spectacular.

DSCF5270.jpg

DSCF5269.jpg

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a video montage I made. These roads were amazing! Curve after glorious curve!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsU3b7G1LYg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsU3b7G1LYg[/ame]

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice report, Travis. Looks like great weather and little traffic.

I'm curious, where did you find out about the route between points "F" and "H"? I will try to hit that up next year on our next adventure.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice photo album/video. I was tempted to get a desk fan to breeze my face while watching the video (well, not really, but...). No CHP shot?:(

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ride report and pic/video Travis. :thumbup: As always, I had a great ride with you and your two friends. I was pretty bummed however that I had to head home after the Little Dragon and couldn't have shared the rest of the spectacular riding with you, Yves and Brent. Maybe next year we can get Cali rider, Wavex and some of the SoCal boys to come up to do a repeat of your ride. :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ride report and pic/video Travis. :thumbup: As always, I had a great ride with you and your two friends. I was pretty bummed however that I had to head home after the Little Dragon and couldn't have shared the rest of the spectacular riding with you, Yves and Brent. Maybe next year we can get Cali rider, Wavex and some of the SoCal boys to come up to do a repeat of your ride. :rockon:

Great idea for a ride! I'm ready....
Thanks Travis, for the ride report. My brother is hiking Half Dome today and I haven't visited Yosemite yet.

Great pictures and video!

Edit! Hey check out Lefty keeping up our Robot tradition in the first photo! Hahaha! :rockon:

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a great trip Travis, thanks for sharing the story and the photos.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious, where did you find out about the route between points "F" and "H"? I will try to hit that up next year on our next adventure.

You should! I'll go with you - these are great roads. I found out about points F thru H on pashnit.com; it's an excellent forum on touring, with an interactive map and member-written articles. You have to be a member to read the articles and get the interactive map, but it's WELL worth the $20/year.

No CHP shot?:(

Not this time. We were good boys :innocent:

Thanks John! Since it was a family-based thing and we already had the campsite for 3 reserved, we kept it to our small group this time, but I would love to get a larger group together next year.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks John! Since it was a family-based thing and we already had the campsite for 3 reserved, we kept it to our small group this time, but I would love to get a larger group together next year.[/QUOTE]

No worries dude, I actually had quite an enjoyable ride back on the way home. Even chatted it up about bikes with a LEO at the *bucks in Oakdale.

...No CHP pic 'cause we were good boys... :rof:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Since it was a family-based thing and we already had the campsite for 3 reserved, we kept it to our small group this time, but I would love to get a larger group together next year.

Dude...I was getting all butt hurt because you didn't invite me. :D Sounds like a good trip. :thumbup: I was on a Mendocino NF / Lassen NF dual sport (knobby tire) ride from Thursday through Sunday. Great weather this time of year.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No worries dude, I actually had quite an enjoyable ride back on the way home. Even chatted it up about bikes with a LEO at the *bucks in Oakdale.

...No CHP pic 'cause we were good boys... :rof:

Glad you had a good time! Let's start planning the trip for next year.

Oh, did I say good??? I meant lucky :BLAA:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude...I was getting all butt hurt because you didn't invite me. :D Sounds like a good trip. :thumbup: I was on a Mendocino NF / Lassen NF dual sport (knobby tire) ride from Thursday through Sunday. Great weather this time of year.

Yeah, it was a good trip. Hope we can set something up for next year that involves more saddle time and real camping!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You should! I'll go with you - these are great roads. I found out about points F thru H on pashnit.com; it's an excellent forum on touring, with an interactive map and member-written articles. You have to be a member to read the articles and get the interactive map, but it's WELL worth the $20/year.

Travis and John, I rode F to H in June (camped at Cherry Lake). It's moderately goaty...which I love...but maybe not be everyone's favorite. Rear brake is your friend on a road like this. How did you find the conditions, Travis? Did you notice that some of the sealer they had recently put down was much more slippery than normal sealer?

On another note, I think I found my new favorite road on Sunday. I think its better than 36 and 3 by just a hair. It was raining at times, I was on a loaded dual sport, and I was running full knobby tires so I'll need to get back there ASAP on the FZ6. The road is south of Lassen and runs for about 70 miles.

On yet another note, I'm heading to Yosemite this weekend to spend sometime there for the first time. My wife has never been there and I've only ridden through quickly one time. We'll be hiking half dome. This thread has me excited to go.