Nail in the tire

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
At least it looks like one to me. Don't know how long the sucker's been in there but i will monitor the tire pressure over the next few days without riding the bike. I put some foaming soap on it but dont see any bubbling. Is it possible it didnt pierce the inside of the tire and is it crazy to think of riding on it should the tire pressure stay the same? I know its probably crazy to think but it just pisses me off becasue these tires dont even barely have 4k miles on them. Wasnt ready to swap tires just yet unless it was absolutely neccesary. It might be..............just wanted others thoughts. Thx

IMG_4440.jpg

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man. You might as well bite the bullet. It WILL eventually come back to bite you, (probably at the least convenient time). I picked up a huge self-tapping roofing screw that ruined my rear tire - with only slightly over 800 miles on it!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Personally, I'd plug that tire.

It's actually a bit farther out from the center than I'm absolutely comfortable with....... my comfort with calculated risk is pretty high, especially with a back tire compared to a front. Looking at the riding grunge on the tire, it's definitely in the 'up and down' portion of use, but it's still pretty far off center.

No matter what, that thing will act like a sliver in your skin, and keep working and worrying further into the belts, etc. First step is to go ahead and get ahold of whatever that is, and pull it out. If it did not penetrate all the way to the interior (i.e., no leaks start with removal), run it without patching. Maybe add some Slime to the tire, just in case.

If it does lose air after you remove the penetrator, I've had reasonable success with 'sticky rope' plugs.... more so, when I bought the kit that has rubber cement in it to coat the rope with before you plug the hole. Then, the tire stayed sealed until the tread wore down enough to start yanking the plug back and forth. Replugged, and ran that ME 880 another 6K miles, up to when I sold it. (Made sure to tell the new owner about it, too)

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
where can these plugs be gotten from, a local auto parts store? Are they the same type of plug used on a car tire? And yes, it will eat at me thinking about it so ill have to do something when i get back from my North Carolina trip. Luckily im taking my other bike. :)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
where can these plugs be gotten from, a local auto parts store? Are they the same type of plug used on a car tire? And yes, it will eat at me thinking about it so ill have to do something when i get back from my North Carolina trip. Luckily im taking my other bike. :)

Auto part store. Get the one with glue as well as the sticky ropes.

It's better to do the interior plug.... but that would require removing the tire from the rim. That type is every bit as good as a new tire.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com

It's better to do the interior plug.... but that would require removing the tire from the rim. That type is every bit as good as a new tire.

one of my friends here on the forum has the harbor freight tire changer as well as another so i should be in good hands with plugging it. Gonna take a ride to auto zone now to take a look. Come to think of it i wanted some seafoam anyhow since im out.

Thanks

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
ironically enough i just realized i bought the stop and go tire plug kit a long time ago and its in my saddlebag and have never used it. These are the plug it comes with.

11360_2352_large.jpg

the kit i have

0363-0003.jpg

no glue or ropes though. then again this seems to be more for an emergency situation rather than removing the tire at home of course.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com

you referring to this kit?

2007092710155516255_med.jpg

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I've used that exact one with good results.

The mushroom type, which have to be installed from the inside of the tire work better.

According to the instructions with the stop and go kit it says to use the mushroom plug while the tire is on the bike.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
According to the instructions with the stop and go kit it says to use the mushroom plug while the tire is on the bike.

It will, but (and don't flame me on this) the mushroom plugs are the only plugs that I've seen fail..

The sticky rubber fiber rope kind, with plenty of sticky glue will last the life of the tire.. :thumbup: The photo of the Slime rope plugs (Walmart carries them for cheap) will work perfectly...

Take your time, pull the nail, rasp the hole well, give it plenty of glue and again, take your time..

Let the glue set up very well, and then cut the rope flush (or close to it) with the surface of the tire with a razor blade.

Fill the tire with your favorite air and go back to riding..:thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The one you have now, is essentially the same thing as the sticky rope deal. The mount from the inside type, are more like the sort of patch you'd put on an inner tube. The inner side of the tire has to be roughed up, and the 'cap' of the plug is glued to it, with the stem being pushed into the hole in the belts, etc.

That's better than the sticky rope style, because it's using the inner face of the tire rather than the sides of the hole to seal the leak. No mechanical worrying on the part sticking into the hole is going to break the seal. The stem can wear away with the tire, and it's not going to cut down on what seals the hole.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
to be honest i have both the slime tire plug kit with the rubber strips now along with the plug and go kit with the mushroom heads. It just a matter of deciding which one to use i guess. I also bought a tube of the slime tire sealant but im just not sure about using that inside the tire after plugging it. says it seals instantly and all but..........since ive never used that stuff b4 i have my reservations. i could always return it if i dont open it though.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
to be honest dude. that doenst look like a nail to me, it almost just looks like a rock. How sharp it had to be to pierce your tire... thats questionable, but the texture looks like a little pebble IMHO