Chicago riders

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone up for a tide over the next few weeks? Was thinking of leaving from Chicago and heading north. I'm in Darien, southwest burbs.

Lmk.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of heading north for some of the twistier roads. I haven't been able to find anything that great around me here since I've had the bike. When I was in the city on my old ride, I'd just head north until they started calling them by county letters :)

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You've got the right idea.. Truthfully, you need to hit NW IL and SW WI, as well as along the river in IA... That's where the fun is at, as well as excellent scenery..

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I was thinking. Any particular favorites you have?

It depends more on where I'm going.. Typically, in Wisconsin any letter road is more fun and less likely to have a law officer on it. Problem is, some areas are boring and laid out in 1 mile squares.. The further north and west you go, the better it is..

SW Wisconsin is a riding heaven.. From Savanna, IL to LaCrosse, WI, either side of the Mississippi river will have fantastic roads in every direction. Just remember that IA has a lot of gravel mixed in there.. Cool if you're on a KLR, not so cool on a streetbike..

A lot depends on how many miles you want to do in a day, also..

Some of my favorite roads are in the area that are north of Highway 18, south of I-90, west of Highway 12, and all the way over to the Miss. River..

In that area, you can't really go wrong.. Pick a direction and keep following it.. Just remember that the less time on major highways (anything numbered) the better off you're going to be...

I typically ride 10mph over all the time.. It keeps me out of ticket range, and if the road's straight, what's the point of speeding? Anybod can go fast in a straight line.

The corners in that part of the state are usually well marked, and *usually* safe to ride at double the posted speed.. USUALLY!!! Always keep an eye out for blind corners, hills with corners on the back side that you don't see until it's too late, and it's farm country so look out for impliments.

Also, that area's fairly well populated with Amish, so keep an eye out for road apples and be courteous when passing a horse drawn buggy.. Amish people typically will be very friendly to a courteous rider and will smile and wave if you do the same..

For a taste of well kept, very fun roads, I suggest Highway 171 from Boaz to the Mississippi.. I know.. Numbered road.. There's always exceptions.. From there, head either north or south on the Great River Road 35 for some really cool overlooks and views.. Just be careful because of a lot of police and slow Harleys.. When you're bored with that, pick a county (letter) road east and have fun!!

Don't forget that most of the taverns along the way serve food and you'll find some really good munchies out there..

If you go south on 35, ride down to county D, south of Lynxville.. Take that straight east. It changes into 179 for a while, and then into E into Boscobel.. When there, find the Unique Cafe downtown for a great meal and all sorts of cool stuff to look at. ZigZag your way on county roads (they're all good) over to Dodgeville and then 191 to Hollandale. More county roads down to Monroe and you're closing in on your ride back home..

The combinations are endless.. Mindoro Cut by LaCrosse is fantastic, as well as highway 33 through Wildcat Mountain State Park.. (10mph corner after 15mph corner, etc)

Basically, all I can say it to go do it!! :rockon:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow :)

I couldn't have asked for more!

I'll let you know when I'm heading up that way. Should be in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, man. Yet another strong example of why this forum is the best.

Scorp