Nelson Rigg: Saddle Bags and Tail Bag

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I figured I would throw my .02 in here since it seems no one has a done a review on them yet.

I will try to add more pictures later but for know this should do.

I recently got ahold of the Nelson Rigg Saddle Bags and Tail Bag combo in order to pack for my girlfriend and I on our spring break vaction to Florida.

First Impression:
Bags look great and look like they are very strong. The velcro straps are wide and the velco is very strong.

Mounting:
(I will include more pictures later)
By sliding the velcro straps under the grab handle on the bike of the bike I was able to get the bags to hang where I needed them. Which still allowed access to the passanger pegs.

However I needed to grind the catch on the seat latch a bit to make the opening a bit larger. With the velcro straps under the seat it made it rather difficult to get the seat to latch and to unlatch.

I also mounted a Givi mono-rack to my bike and with the help of some 1inch dia PVC zip tied to the side of the rack I was able to get the bags to hang straight.

Performance:
Well overall they worked great. They held a good bit of stuff, I believe were able to put a pair of shoes in each one along with socks and underwear for the rest of the trip. The side pockets were large as well and I kept all the rain flys on one side and Jordan kept a hair brush and some make-up or something over there with room to spare.

The rain flys worked ok, however they still got wet. The flys themselves are designed to go on the bag from the outside edge to make it easy to put on when they are mounted. However they did not seem to go far enough up in the back so some of the back side of the bag was exposed. This caused a problem, since it let everything get pretty damp. However...

The bags come with a heat sheild pad thing that attaches via velcro on the back. I am wondering if I were to be running those would it have helped keep moisture away? I am planning on contacting Nelson-Rigg about it and just let them know about my experience and maybe they will have something to offer.

Overall:
Good buy. They worked pretty good minus the rain issue but I think I can get that resolved later.
The kit as a hole worked great. Both bags have multiple mounting solutions to make it extreamly easy to figure out what mounting style works best for each bike.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good info! Thanks! Something to keep in mind should I need to replace my Cortech tri-bags!

Leo1171

Reaction score
Visit site
Do your cortec bags sit right next to the exhaust. I noticed that mine do and I haven't taken them out for a long ride yet. Just tested them for about a 30 min ride...