Recommend Tire Irons?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, So I am getting the harbor freight machine to do tires. I spent the better part of the weekend reading up on how to modify it so it won't hurt my rims. I will go with mojo blocks and possibly the mojo lever if I cannot modify the HFT bar to my liking.

My tire changes are still about a month away but I wanted to collect all the things I will need so I can complete the job once I start it and minimize time off the road.

I thought to get some good tire irons - but which ones? how long? and how many are needed?

Anyone care to make a recommendation?

Thanks

S

Shamus McFeeley

I use the motion pro tire spoons. I've used them to change tires on every bike I own/have owned: street bikes, dirt bikes and atvs. I use a 4x4 with a 2x4 cut at an angle to break beads.

The ones I use are like this:
Motion Pro Link

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
What method are you using to balace tires? Tire irons---if I remember, sombody posted once about preferring 12 inch irons (not the shorter ones).

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Pauly V? Do we know each other? Nelsons?

+1 for Motion Pro - in this case longer is better! :) Yields more leverage.

+1 for the NoMar products as well. Very nice tools!

S

Shamus McFeeley

Great thanks!

how many to order and what size works best?

I use two of them and you can get them in several metric sizes. I balance my tires with dyna beads. Here is a picture of the tires I've changed just in the past few weeks using those very same tools:

P9020255.jpg

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same Harbor Freight machine... that I hate, btw. I am saving for the NoMar machine, but I utilize their bar for now. It was a bit pricey, but not when compared to the number of scratches and swear words that it eliminates.

No-Mar: Scratch-Proof Mount/Demount Bar

Yeah I agree I heard alot of people complaining about the Harbor Freight machine. Seems the mojo blocks and either the mojo lever or nomar bar make it decent to use. the HFT machine pays for itself in just 2 sets of tires. I don't mind spending the extra $ to modify it.

Looks like they don't sell the base machine anymore but you can still get the motorcycle attachment. I would just mount the motorcycle attachment to my workbench anyway since it is at the right height. For busting the bead I am looking into making a machine out of 2x4's.. saw a video on youtube and this thing looks pretty slick.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztYmUgGBObk]YouTube - DIY Tyre bead breaker[/ame]